First Hunt Test

Texrab

First Hunt Test

Post by Texrab » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:26 am

I went to my first hunt test Saturday. It was supposed to be a fun test or I would not have went out of fear making a fool of myself. It ended up being for fun but the guys took it pretty serious. There were 23 dogs running and I almost backed out but had already paid so I figure I take a shot. It was based off a NSTRA scoring system the way a figure 20 minute brace, 4 birds, 20 points for a point, 20 for retrieve, 20 for birds in hand, minus point for extra shot, etc. The only difference was it was one dog per brace. Long story short I had a blast. Three birds pointed, two birds harvested, but my dog decided retrieving was below him on this day. All in all a great day because the way I figure I did not shoot my dog, he did not run away, he listened pretty good and we both had fun. I may have to check this NSTRA deal out. Watch out Snips :lol:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:43 am

Go boy! NSTRA is alot of fun. You just gotta jump in. You really need a good retriever tho, half scores won`t win. What region woud you be in?
brenda

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:14 pm

Very cool! Sounds like another Junkie in the making! :lol:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:21 pm

I am not sure what region, maybe Dixie. I spoke with one of the guys who was judging and he said he'd help me out on the retrieving part. I need to work on more than retrieving (like my shooting) but I had a blast. I figure by next fall when it kicks back up I may dive in.