Upland hunting pants

JasonW77

Upland hunting pants

Post by JasonW77 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Looking into getting a pair of upland hunting pants. Was hoping you could help me out with this search. Two things i'm looking for would be waterproof and good protection from briars. Anything info on this would be great.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Upland hunting pants

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Columbia Briarshun pants, not 100% waterproof I would say water resistant and really comfortable.
Last edited by nikegundog on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Just got some browning upland pants and couldn't be happier. Very water resistant and tough.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I really like the Cabelas Stonewall pant.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:08 am

I've had pants from LL Bean that I really liked but now just use chaps. I can slip them on over jeans or lightweight khakis if it's hot plus when I travel to hunt I don't have to own 2-3 pairs of hunting britches.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:24 am

LL Bean's lightest weight, cordura-faced upland pants.
Then ignore the multi-flora and greenbriers...and wet pants dry.
True briar-proof cloth is heavy, stiff and hot and briar resistant is nearly so...but some choose to ignore those negatives as I choose to ignore the ones I mentioned.
Each to their own.
Best pants advice....buy pants one size larger than normal, 1" shorter than normal and wear a set of suspenders, button-type.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:38 am

I hunt in my regular jeans when it is warm enough and put a pair of carhart bibs over them when it gets cold. I seem to find and kill the same number of birds no matter what I wear so I have never found a good reason to have special pants to hunt in. I can go from doing chores to hunting really quick since I don't have to change my wardrobe.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:41 am

Sheels has a store brand pant that is very tough...forget the name of them...about $90...have had the same 2 pair for 6 years now.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:44 am

I like the Arborwear clothes, compared to say Carhartt, which I have as well. Arborwear stuff has a great crotch design and the fabric has a much tighter weave.

They are medium-duty pants, though.

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:16 am

I have special pants to hunt in because I when I hunt, sometimes the pants end up taking some abuse. Barbed wire, mud, thorns or whatever. I don't like to ruin pair after pair of jeans, so I wear upland pants. Some other folks may not see the need to wear them but I do. They also keep me DRY.

I have these now. Just got them. Love them. Keep me dry.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

But I haven't been through briars or anything else yet this season with them so I don't know how they would hold up... Probably not as well as compared to filsons, but they suit me.

I had a pair of just plain old upland pants and they have taken barb wire, thorns, mud, and God knows what else, and have been just fine.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 am

Lots of good suggestions.

I would like to make one point, if I may. Anything that starts out waterproof will only stay that way until the fabric gets puctured. So if you are hunting in briars, things lined with Gore Tex or similar membranes are pretty much a waste of money.

I use a pair of nylon cordura faced hunting pants(Remington) and they do fine for most things. If it is a quick training run, I will often use a pair of cordura chaps.

I find that the cordura can be made relatively water resistant and keep out the morning dew and such, with a good treatment of silicone spray waterproofing.

RayG

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:10 am

RayGubernat wrote:Lots of good suggestions.

I would like to make one point, if I may. Anything that starts out waterproof will only stay that way until the fabric gets puctured. So if you are hunting in briars, things lined with Gore Tex or similar membranes are pretty much a waste of money.

I use a pair of nylon cordura faced hunting pants(Remington) and they do fine for most things. If it is a quick training run, I will often use a pair of cordura chaps.

I find that the cordura can be made relatively water resistant and keep out the morning dew and such, with a good treatment of silicone spray waterproofing.

RayG
Ray brings up a good point about the puncture. The thing with the new pants I bought, is that they have a lining on the inside of the pants too. Makes them very comfortable, but if it's hot, then, not so much. :( Now if something goes through both layers, then... Yeah.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:18 am

Not pants but i just bought a pair of muck boots with chaps attached to them. They are water an briar proof, vary comfy you just put them on like waders right over your normal pants an your ready to hunt. They only cost me $115 my coon huntig buddies use them all the time, vary tuff.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:38 pm

I use Mule chaps but I do own a pair of Red Head hunting pants by Bass Pro that I like alot. They repell beggers lice very well and I can't say the same about Cabelas hunting pants manufactured by Wrangler (junk hunting pants). They came apart during there first hunt and everything sticks to them. IMO, you can't go wrong with a good pair of chaps.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Good info in this post. I was just wondering the samething as the OP. I have Walls but I'm not a big fan. They are stiff, heavy and the tapered legs bug me. I'm looking for the lightest pants possible and pants with a larger opening at the bottom.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:49 pm

rkappes wrote:Good info in this post. I was just wondering the samething as the OP. I have Walls but I'm not a big fan. They are stiff, heavy and the tapered legs bug me. I'm looking for the lightest pants possible and pants with a larger opening at the bottom.

If you want to go light there is no better way, IMO than a pair of lightweight chaps. If you get a pair with full length zippers, they go on an off in a flash.

I have a pair of Wick chaps that will turn briars fine and even this fat old man can slie 'em on and off without too much difficulty.

Wick is no longer in business, but there are several similar supopliers still out there.

The great thing about chaps is you can wear a pair of dressy workpants underneath and when you take the chaps off and change from boots to shoes, you can walk into any restaurant or store and be (relatively)inconspicuous if you so choose.

RayG

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:24 pm

I agree, lightweight pants and chaps are the way to go. As Ray mentioned they are easy on and off and layer nicely with either waterproof, casual or more formal dungarees. They can be fun for either sex, however, they do require a cautionary note or two. Please see how the model below has chosen a horizontally striped shirt to wear with the chaps, clearly a poor choice for his full figure...

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:03 pm

nikegundog wrote:Columbia Briarshun pants, not 100% waterproof I would say water resistant and really comfortable.

I picked up a pair of these and they've made it thru two seasons now, and i use mine maybe more than some folks, guiding for 6 months a year. I really like em.

That said I did buy them in South Dakota at cabelas on sale and they developed a hole in the crotch seam within 10 days or so.....it never got much bigger than a quarter. I returned them for another pair on my way home and have had this pair in continuous duty since and been pleased....they are a bit heavy but their tough and they block wind nice.

For warmer days i use the bluejean type briar pant cabelas sells.

If i want really lightweight and waterproof I have a pair of nylon chaps i will use.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Chukar12 wrote:I agree, lightweight pants and chaps are the way to go. As Ray mentioned they are easy on and off and layer nicely with either waterproof, casual or more formal dungarees. They can be fun for either sex, however, they do require a cautionary note or two. Please see how the model below has chosen a horizontally striped shirt to wear with the chaps, clearly a poor choice for his full figure...
At first, I thought that was a pic of you...I was thinking "holy cow, how does he chukar hunt in that kind of shape".
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:10 pm

I also wear chaps except when it gets really cold, then I wear any kind of pants and carhart bibs.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks for all the info so far. Never really thought of chaps. I'll have to look into the one suggested. Thanks for the help.

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Where can you find a decent pair of chaps that are sized correctly?
I have one pair that are as big at the bottom as they are the top. I got them from Cabelas. Oil finished. Heavy. Too heavy. Another pair by Red Head, light weight nylon but also to big at both ends.

Wicks use to make them to order but they are now out of business.

Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:23 pm

I 've found the most comfortable combination in wearing a pair of Arborwear double front tech pants which are nylon and wear like iron and dry very quick, and cover with an old pair of Filson chaps. The Arborwear pant have a great gusset feature in the crotch and make stepping over logs and climbing very easy and with the chaps you get briar protection and freedom of motion. Arborwear is located in Newbury,Ohio and cater to the tree service industry, may seem kind of pricey to some, but very good quality. There is a supplier of nylon hunting gear in Sugar Creek, Ohio called Dan's and it looks to take a little of their style from Wick. My hunting buddy has a pair of bib coveralls from Dan's and says they're great in the wet brush and when the leaves are still on the tag alder. Both Arborwear and Dan's can be found on the internet. JMO
http://www.danshuntinggear.com/ http://www.arborwear.com/
Smitty

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:41 pm

After reading the responses I confirmed one thing.....................I'm the same age as Ezzy, I'm a carhardt guy either logger jeans with suspenders or bib overalls,I got some super thin chaps given to me by my trainer/buddy but most often 98% of the time just wear the carhardts. I knew I was born 40 years to late and this confirms it again.If you saw me in a conveinance store in bird huntin country you'd think I was just a local farmer but my truck is a dead giveaway as to what I'm really doing.The other thing about keeping the attire simple and no frills............................more hunting opportunity on private land.

AJR

Post by AJR » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:21 pm

I really like these bibs. They are light weight but durable.

http://www.walls.com/mens/sport-and-fie ... ib-overall

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Here's one that should turn just about any briar:
http://www.rocksteadykennels.com/cordur ... 30057.html

Here's one that should be a good bit lighter and still offer good protection:
http://www.rocksteadykennels.com/cordur ... 30057.html

Here's a company that offers a buch of different ones:
http://shop.briarproof.com/agora/agora. ... ser4=Chaps

There are lots more suppliers out there. Nitelight is one that markets to coon hunters.

Do some surfing and you may find something that works for you.

I also have a pair of Nylon bibs that I wear when it is lousy weather out. They are unlined, but pretty water resistant, so unless it is a downpour, I am pretty dry and I can wade in and out of multiflora without a scratch.

Nylon garments have one unmentioned HUGE advantage. You can get them absolutely filthy and muddy... hose them off, hang them up and when they dry they will look brand new.

RayG

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 am

Not to flog anything dead but there can be reasons that no one pants method works and that is because all hunters differ, both in physique and the country hunted.
What works on the plains or in a FT venue may not be as swell in Appalachian gradients....much climbing illustrates the advantages of free oxygen flow...course a diet would help but the issue here was "pants."
Having tried chaps, having tried bibs, having tried jeans, having tried the latest wonder pant, having tried to work with a belt :) ....all noted bring more issues than they solve....amny cause the leg to lift against resistance in all but easy-going country.
This erstwhile individual passed roadside has a good approach with the suspenders behind the vest and a pant length short enough to matter: no doubt such an ensemble works across the range of many gamebirds.
Irregardless of where you hunt tho as upsteps are everywhere...give a thought toward ease of stepping.
Just a consideration regarding the perfect pant for all.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:42 am

JasonW77 wrote:Thanks for all the info so far. Never really thought of chaps. I'll have to look into the one suggested. Thanks for the help.
You may want to consider a company in Mississippi called Mule brand. I have a pair of their bibs for rabbitt hunting that I really like. Will probably last me a lifetime. They have chaps as well.

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 am

I have used the Wrangler brush pants since the mid 90's and love them. I have never paid over $40 for a pair.
I get several years of service out of them. I find chaps to hot on warm days.