Group order of Bobwhite Quail Chicks in Utah

crittercontrol

Group order of Bobwhite Quail Chicks in Utah

Post by crittercontrol » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:12 pm

Dear list:

After contemplating it for a while I have decided to purchase an order of day old Bobwhite quail & Chukar for use in training.

I will probably get 100-150 quail for myself, and maybe 25 chukar.

I would be willing to group order more birds if anyone in the surrounding area wants to get some as well.

The price for quail chicks is about $0.50 per bird and about $1.75 per chukar. I am picking up the minimum order so you can get as many as you would like. The shipping is To Be Determined - aprox $1.25 per chick

We should be able to get the birds around mid to late April, and of course they would not be ready for training for at least 8 weeks, min. I am still working on getting some birds sooner and I will keep you posted.

If ordering birds, I would need the money at the time of order and you could pick your birds up as soon as they arrive.

Please see the link below regarding the raising of birds in Utah as pertains to permits, etc.

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code ... 57-004.htm

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code ... 57-046.htm

You can e-mail me offlist or PM me, and I will keep the list updated as to the process.

Always,

Caleb

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:17 pm

WAY to high for the Chukars! If you want I can get them I believe for under a buck! I will check if you would like. Also Felter out here gets his Quail I belive around 30.????
I will check for ya

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:52 pm

TAK wrote:WAY to high for the Chukars! If you want I can get them I believe for under a buck! I will check if you would like. Also Felter out here gets his Quail I belive around 30.????
I will check for ya

You 'da man! Loved the pic of youon point BTW! (on the utah forum)

I was crackin up! :lol:

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:01 pm

crittercontrol wrote:Loved the pic of youon point BTW! (on the utah forum)
That statement begs for a cross-post. We all gotta see this. :lol:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:50 am

http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10219
Nice point TAK but did you break at the shot? :D

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:58 am

Dirtysteve wrote:http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10219
Of course he did, he is a NSTRA guy!
8)
Rut

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 am

So are you saying you will order them for us, raise them, and have them ready for training whenever we want to pick them up? ;)

The timing is about perfect for me actually.
I should be getting my dog about mid-late May. (they are due march 29th)
He'd be ready for birds when the birds are ready to train.

My only problem now if having room to keep them.
I'm hoping to buy a house in west Kaysville, but that is all contingent on my current house selling.
(Man this dog's ending up costing me a lot)
If it all works out, I'll have room to raise birds, and a nice field to train the dog right behind the house.

If it all works out and my house sells, and the house I am looking at is still around, I'll be in the market for some birds.

Anyone want to buy a house in Bountiful? Great view, almost no yard :)

Addict

Post by Addict » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:50 am

CC,

Count me in on the order!! I would like 100-150 quail myself. Are you going to be raising them at your place? I have room for about 50.

Addict

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:05 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10219
Heck no I did not break! I have manors like no other!

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:21 pm

I think CC will fill you in on this but this is DAY OLD Chicks pricing.

I caution you to start small. You will need to have a BRODER that has no corners. Like one of those kids swimming pools but much higher sides. You need a constant heat 98 degree's. I use red heat lamps 4 of them around 18 inches of the ground. You have to watch close for the first 3 days that they do not bunch up in the corners from to much heat, and that they do not bunch up under the light for lack of heat. The pills will start killing birds. They just are so fragile. I use straw for the flooring. I also will smash on it for days before I put the birds in.
The water dishes that you can buy at feed stores. Put rocks or marbles in the outside of the dishes so the birds don,t fall in them and drown. I also add TERIAMICIN to the water for the antibotics. You will need food also. Feed stores sale STARTER they will be on this for about 4-6 weeks.
my opinion if you was to raise say 50 birds(Chukars) you need a brooder that is about 5x10 you will find they will outgrow this fast. If at all possible it is best if you can have a flight pen attached to the brooder house. when the chicks arte around 6 weeks old you will let them venture out to the world and before dark herd them back in. By 8 weeks you will have them out for good.

If you are building a fly pen I sugest you get the 1inch heavy. This will hold most times a yound 6 week old bird. the 2 inch it seemed to me would let a bird out if they tried hard at it.

figure that you will loose about 10% if you do well more if not!

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:10 pm

where do you find flight pens. I was thinking about getting some guys together to chip in but If CC is going to do it then more power to him.
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:47 pm

I've raised gamebirds before (even owned a company for a while - Hi-Country Poultry & Gamebirds.) I was known locally as the "bird boy", hopefully because I raised birds... :) ? But then I had this foolish idea that I needed to go to college....long story short, I sold all the birds but 1 parrot.

Luckily the pens and such are still in fairly good order, although the flight pen (15x50) needs to "quailified,” e.g. it has a few small openings. It is attached to a 10x10 coop to keep the birds out of the elements, for roosting, etc. This set up can comfortably keep approx. 200 quail, with few dozen chukar mixed in. It'll certainly hold more than that, especially growing birds, but not for long periods without undue stress to the birds.

Most of the partridges are fairly easy (chukar are the best!) to care for, and I have found bobwhites are fairly hardy, just so long as you can iron out the first week or so! It’s the darn southwest species I always had problems with (usually cannibalism, crowding, etc :twisted: )

Like TAK said the prices are for day old chicks. We are working at getting them a little cheaper, and if I can get them locally and don’t have to ship all the better.

I will keep everyone posted as to any developments.

Thanks for the interest