Question for Setter and Brittany Owners...

PointingQuail

Question for Setter and Brittany Owners...

Post by PointingQuail » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Ok, here is my situation...I already have one dog, (six month old Lab) and just got the okay from the Mrs. to get him a buddy! I am interested in either a Field (Llewellin) Setter or a Brittany. Can you guys give me some insight into what is good about the breeds? What might not be so good? Do they shed too much for an inside dog. I am looking for a dog that can run hard in the warmer months of the season, (I won't hunt them if its too hot but I think my lab is going to be great for ducks and dove but he isn't so quick to run along way even when its cold), also I am looking for a breed with really strong instincts to point. I know both breeds do depending on the dog. Please help me with some solid info I can take to my wife to discuss/get approval.

Brad

MikeB

Re: Question for Setter and Brittany Owners...

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:08 pm

I don't know about the breeds so much, I have always liked the Brittney, but I would wait until you get your Lab trained and working for you before you bring in another dog.

Also I wouldn't get another male either unless one is really submissive to other dogs. You don't need two alpha males to deal with and have to keep seperated if things don't work out. A female should work better but you will have to have a kennel to keep her in when she is in season or until you get your male old enough to neuter and her old enough to spay.
Lots to think about in my opinion.

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:13 pm

MikeB wrote:I don't know about the breeds so much, I have always liked the Brittney, but I would wait until you get your Lab trained and working for you before you bring in another dog.

Also I wouldn't get another male either unless one is really submissive to other dogs. You don't need two alpha males to deal with and have to keep seperated if things don't work out. A female should work better but you will have to have a kennel to keep her in when she is in season or until you get your male old enough to neuter and her old enough to spay.
Lots to think about in my opinion.
Thanks. I agree with you on both waiting and getting a female. I am hoping to bring a pup home in about a year/year and a half. Just doing some very preliminary research.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:16 pm

All dogs shed but the Lab sheds far more then the brittany or setter will.

When you get another pup have the breeder help also but get the pup that isn't competing for the lead spot in the pack. This will help keep peace in the house.

Getting a young dog when you have a young dog actually can be a good thing it will help you from over working one. But I would not try and run them together until each knows their job specially since they are both bred to do something a bit different one being a flushing retrieving breed the other being a pointing breed.

As for good and bad things..Look to the breeder and their breeding program be sure both the parents are Bird dogs and have the traits you want to see in the field.

Good Luck and Have fun
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:53 pm

My little setter can run hard all day in the Texas heat. I've hunted her from AZ to NM to KS and all over Tx.
Cant say she sheds much at all and is a real sweetheart. Low key and laid back till the beeper collar is on, then is all business all day.

Best of luck!

Wouldnt take for her.... all 27lbs, :lol:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Brad -

Both breeds you mentioned are longhaired dogs which are at something of a disadvantage in the heat compared to the shorthaired dogs. Now individuals and individual lines may have considerably more heat tolerance than others. I believe that some of it may be due to coat density and thickness and some of it may be due to the physical size of the dog , with a smaller, lighter dog with wispier hair being the more naturally heat tolerant.

For example, dogs, of whatever breed... that can run in the south Texas heat are heat tolerant dogs and there are most certainly setters that can do that. Brittanys too, I am sure. However, the shorter haired breeds should get a closer look if you hunt a lot in very warm weather.

A pair of electric clippers and a haircut, especially on the belly area can do wonders for the heat tolerance of a long haired dog. Might not win any dog shows, but the dog will be much more comfortable in the warmer weather.

Both breeds you mentioned have a long standing history of producing individual animals that are great around kids and other people too, so there is not much difference in terms of which breed will do well in a family setting.

Hope some of this helps.

RayG

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 pm

I own Brittanys and think they are great dogs, however, on average field bred (not necessarily Llewellyn) setters will have more point and more heat tolerance than Brittanys will IMO. Of course individual dogs and breedings will vary and neither breed will show the heat tolerance of a good Pointer.
Knine has already covered the shedding issue - you have a Lab! Nothing else sheds anymore.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:06 am

Either Breed can withstand the heat or cold to my way of thinking it depends on the location of the breeder you buy from and what their using there dogs to do, If I wanted a dog to hunt in the Northern grouse woods I wouldn't buy a dog bred in AZ or Texas to hunt quail in large open areas I would go with a breeder near me who hunts in the same conditions i do or vice versa, the best advice is no matter what breed you decided to go with pick a reputable breeder who hunts the same kind of country you hunt and the same kind birds you intend to hunt that will increase you chances of getting the kind of dog you want by a lot no matter what the breed is (hopefully a brittany hahaha), and you do have a lab how can you be worried about another breed shedding more than it lol hahaha :lol: :lol:

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:39 am

Setters Rule, especially Llewellins! Have never had a hunting dog in the house because I'm henpecked. :lol:
big steve

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:35 am

Im definitely partial to the GSP but have owned setters heres 2 of them..the orange and white is field setter from jim gourley in kansas at "setterdogs" if theres ANYTHING you want to know about setters give him a call, look on his website..his field setters dont have the long hair, are hunting fools and AWSOME family dogs..never owned a britt but my daughter wants one next year..good luck and its smart to start looking now so you dont rush into a pup last minute and not get what you want!!!..good luck!!....ruth :D

BAILEY AND BELLE
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

solon

Post by solon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:19 am

Go have a talk with Paul Grogger:

http://www.settersunlimited.com/kennel.aspx?a=8

That should be informative.

Also, review some of the threads of roysetters3 on the UJ forum. He runs 7 or 8 setters in the Az desert and posts very interesting photo essays on his exploits, one example:

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin/ik ... =2;t=63845

Solon

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 am

Good dogs both ways. I went with Brittanys due to the eas of training them. I work my all year long and have never had a problem with the heat. I guess that they are just used to it.
Ray, Have you seen my Brittanys? No long hair there.
The nice thing about brittanys is that if you keep up with their brushing, about twice a week will do unless you are showing, the hair is not an issue. I have three that live with my family and we only notice hair if we forget to brush them twice each week and even then it is not much.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:40 am

My lab was inside and shed hair in abundance

Watch male-male marking issues

CoverDog-type setter, would be my choice over a Llewellin

Low 40s in weight

Haircut as necessary

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:56 am

My Llewellin hunts cover very well! Also, there are Llewellins doing well in Coverdog trialing, and many others that could. There's not much difference in E. and L. Setters anyway. There's difference in breeding among each of course, but training can make good coverdogs out of either.
big steve

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 am

Yes, of course....ease up...all setters are good.
All have generalities appiled to them.... some of which are true and some of which are false...both good and bad generalities.
I was thinking of Chips, Needlepoint, Smith breeding.
"My choice" could have been a tip off.
My comment was because the Op essentially implied Field = Llewellin...I don't see it that narrow.
I would no doubt be happy with the setter moniker applied to any of the entrants...even the Duals.
In fact, a dual-type might well be the best fit for the OP....one can ignore shed hair.

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks guys for all the help and pics. Glad to hear that setters and brits don't shed like labs because our guy isn't too bad for us.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 am

I also love setters and thats all i want from now till i'am done. But heres another question for dual dog owners. Is there a noticeable difference in the way your pointer hunts? Are we taking away part of the reward by letting the retreiver get the bird every time? Not trying to cause trouble just asking.

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:37 pm

jimssetters wrote:I also love setters and thats all i want from now till i'am done. But heres another question for dual dog owners. Is there a noticeable difference in the way your pointer hunts? Are we taking away part of the reward by letting the retreiver get the bird every time? Not trying to cause trouble just asking.
That's a great point. My lab wont get the retrieve unless he finds it to begin with or we are searching for a cripple or lost bird. My rule of thumb will be that the retrieve will be a reward for finding the bird in the first place. I will train my next pup as if she is my only pup, which would include retrieving.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Who doesn't let their pointing breed dog Retrieve?
My Britts all do the retrieving when I am hunting.