makin the best of 10 inches of snow!!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

makin the best of 10 inches of snow!!

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:15 am

So jealous of you guys with the nice weather lately and getting your dogs out on some birds!! we got 10 inches of snow here and still cant get onto the roads ...our pool cover was wrecked a few weeks back and we havent had nice enough weather to put on a new one so ICE FISHIN ANYONE :lol: ..took the pup out and buried a few scented wings to keep her nose busy..she can find em ANYWHERE!! i love seeing the pics of people out in the fields with their dogs but when will it be our turn :roll: ..soon i hope so i can join in on the fun :D south dakota is on the travel bucket list this year, i might just stay there :wink: ....ruth

GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: makin the best of 10 inches of snow!!

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah, we did that three weeks ago, then did it again a week later. Had the A/C on over the weekend and now it's winter again. Woot!

So far, the night hunters have gotten one possum. It was a stupid possum. It came down the tree and followed them home. Three in the morning, there was a riot, so I had to corral the possum from among half a dozen dogs that had volunteered to help, put her in a crate and stash her in the trash bin until we could haul her down the road.

I'll kind of be glad when my trial season kicks off in a couple of weeks. It's a lot less work than possum wrangling.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 am

I'm right there with you! Just yesterday we could start seeing patches of bare ground, and I dropped 2 dogs off with the trainer for their spring "tune-ups"....2 weeks behind schedule, and this morning I woke up to 10 inches of snow!

The only saving grace is that I think our training grounds only got about an inch, and it's suppose to be in the high 40's and rain by the end of the week there.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Ruth I had much better weather over the weekend and was able to get Bella out in the field Fri, Sat, and Sunday. I planted 3 chukar on Sat and 3 on Sunday and she started pointing on Sunday. She also tracked a bird about 75 yards through high crep grass, woods, and over a creek. I fired my 209 a couple times when she gave chase and she never flinched!

Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:40 pm

south dakota ain't no picnic this year either. We just got another 12 inches on snow on the eastern side of the state. Not sure how much that gives us for the year because I have been gone for the last 10 months but I know I came home to entirely to much on the ground that is for sure.
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

mik

Post by mik » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Beautiful lookin pup ya got there Ruth.....

10" of snow here last night......5 days ago 50 degrees.....Glad I didn't put the "storage wax" coat on the skate skis....still a few miles of skiin left to do this year :D

Lately, I've been startin to think about Spring turkey Hunting and this year dog training As I'll be gettin my boy out for his Spring NA Test.

Best of luck with your Youngster warmer temps are just on the horizon.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:13 am

@cajuncasey..sounds like that possum was suicidal :lol: thank god it was a possum and not a skunk..my setter brought one to the back door and stunk for a month :x ...ruth

@Karen..love the pic..good thing you got them to the trainers the day before all that snow :D ...ruth

@bhairoger..wow she looks good in that cover brad..can you believe how smart these pups are?..youre lucky you were able to get her out..we cant wait til it warms up a bit and get jersey out too..thanks for the pics, keep them coming :D ...ruth

@scmelik..wow 12 inches there too..btw thanks for the recipe..i got some ham, tried it and loved it :D ...ruth

@mik..i think that just thinking about dog training gets most of us threw the winter, my husband is looking forward to turkey too and thanks for the comment about jersey..she is a great pup, we get lots of compliments on her look :D ...ruth

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:40 am

It was 67 degrees here in Western PA last week, I was goose hunting in short sleeves...now we have around 7-8inches of snow.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:35 am

mcclinj wrote:It was 67 degrees here in Western PA last week, I was goose hunting in short sleeves...now we have around 7-8inches of snow.
Man thats some confusing weather!!..for us and the birds :lol: ....ruth

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 pm

im anxious for winter to be over here also.lots of snow came and i was not prepared this time.

Bowbender

Post by Bowbender » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:14 am

We have had a ton of snow here in Western NY too and I feel your pain Ruth. Now that a good portion of snow is gone, its revealed piles and piles of deer poop and the new pup thinks they're M&M's. I have a question though, it's seems so many on here don't like the idea of wings for training but with the all the snow we have, what choice do we have?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 am

Bowbender wrote:We have had a ton of snow here in Western NY too and I feel your pain Ruth. Now that a good portion of snow is gone, its revealed piles and piles of deer poop and the new pup thinks they're M&M's. I have a question though, it's seems so many on here don't like the idea of wings for training but with the all the snow we have, what choice do we have?
My dogs love the rabbit poop especially frozen ones!!..i could use them for treats for training they love them so much..and they find them even with a foot of snow on top..ive said before i think my dogs could make me a fortune finding truffles :lol: ..as far as the use of wings, we use them and never had a problem with the dogs getting use to sight pointing which is why most people have an issue with them..i can see if its ALL you did for training but its a nice introduction especially if you dont have access to birds..we just got some pigeons and put her on some the other day..but we like to do all kinds of things to get her interested and keep her busy..to each his own i always say and if you like using wings its your dog use em' thats just how i look at it :wink: ....ruth