crate size for GSP

mister2

crate size for GSP

Post by mister2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi all. I am new to the forum. I will be picking up my GSP puppy in about 5-6 weeks and was wondering what size crate I should be getting for a full grown male GSP. I've been looking on craigslist and there are plenty of 36"Lx25Wx27"H crates but was wondering if this is sufficient or do I need something a little bigger? Also what are everyone's opinions as far as wire crate or plastic sided crates? I only want to buy one crate, so one size should fit all and I realize I will have to build some type of divider for crate training if I get a plastic crate. Appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks.

Red

Re: crate size for GSP

Post by Red » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I have a Great choice 26 in(med) crate for my GSP I will need one twice the size in a few months but I'm crate training so the smaller the better, no filling in the unused space...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:37 pm

That size will be fine for an adult GSP, unless he goes over eighty pounds. If you have potty in the crate problems, you are leaving the pup in too long.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:That size will be fine for an adult GSP, unless he goes over eighty pounds.

Yup. And if it goes over 80 lbs, get a barn. Because then it's not a gsp, it's Clydesdale.

remmy

Post by remmy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Are you talking wire crate or plastic? If plastic, then that's a little big if you ask me. I use Intermediate size for mine...32″ x 22.5″ x 24. Most everyone I know use intermediate for GSPs. If your male will exceed 70 lbs then maybe go up to the large. My biggest male has been 65lbs and fits perfectly in the intermediate.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:52 am

We use plastic..since you want to have just one crate i find its better cause you can use it in the house and throw it in the truck to go hunting..we have a REMINGTON plastic crate and no need for a divider in my opinion, never needed one before..ours is xtra large 40x26x30 and it was 70 bucks at gander mountain!! its great if you have 2 dogs cause they both will fit in there together too( if they get along)..heres a pic of our pup at 10 weeks in it on my hubby's old hunting coat(her favorite bed)......ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 am

I think it is almost universal for newcomers to think they need a crate larger than they really do, especially for traveling. I do think the crate if us being used to for overnight sleeping in warm weather where a dog wants to stretch out could be bigger but generally the purpose of a crate is to confine the dog. The smaller and tighter crate where the dog has to lay down is much safer for the dog. And it will work well for all short time confinement. Personally I have two crates, smaller out in the garage sitting by the truck and a larger crate in the basement for sleeping. I used to have to carry them up and down the steps and that became a chore I didn't need. And like I think Ruth said, many times the dogs ride two to a crate when I need the room or anytime we aren't traveling very far.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 am

I personally have wire crates in the house. I find that it makes it easier on the potty training puppy to feel like he is a part of the family. For a pup to be properly crate trained, he needs to have enough room to stand up and lie down - no extra room at first. He won't pee and poop where he eats and sleeps, so he will crate train himself as long as you keep him on a good schedule to get out of the crate. You can use dividers in the wire crates and they're easy.

Used crates are so cheap, I buy them all the time off of Craigslist. My last 3 inside wire crates were purchased off of Craigslist for less than half price. I sometimes use the plastic crates in the vehicle, but more often than not now, I just bring the dog trailer when I go anywhere. We also built a dog "crate" for the vehicle out of plywood that fits 3 dogs and we use that if we don't use the trailer.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 am

I would say plastic is best like Ezzy said the smaller while traveling are safer.The thing I see in that pic I don't like is using rags,blankets,Rugs,etc for bedding if you ever have a dog chew it up & swallow it you will understand why. :D Around here you can find used crates at yrd sales all summer long,sometimes they want as much as new but you can usually buy them very reasonable.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I would say plastic is best like Ezzy said the smaller while traveling are safer.The thing I see in that pic I don't like is using rags,blankets,Rugs,etc for bedding if you ever have a dog chew it up & swallow it you will understand why. :D Around here you can find used crates at yrd sales all summer long,sometimes they want as much as new but you can usually buy them very reasonable.
Well the reason our pup in the pic has bedding is because she sleeps better with it, she is only 10 weeks old and just left her littermates and mama so it makes her feel warm and secure..she is only in the crate for sleeping(which is now all night) or in the van for travelling other than that she is in the kitchen or living room with us..she has never even mouthed that coat and is doing quite well..i dont see her as an adult dog sleeping on a coat in her crate but as a pup its fine and has not been an issue!!...ruth

mister2

Post by mister2 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks everyone. I found a 36" plastic crate for $25 on craigslist. My pup will be about 10 weeks when I get him also.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:27 am

Ruth if you took that as some kind of insult or condesending,or sarcasam,I apologise just trying to save some people some expense & maybe heartache,it has happened before & only takes one time.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Ruth if you took that as some kind of insult or condesending,or sarcasam,I apologise just trying to save some people some expense & maybe heartache,it has happened before & only takes one time.
I dont take it as anything..believe me if i felt offended or insulted i would let you know as im sure you would the same..i just wanted to make it clear to all that its only because shes a pup she has bedding in the pic, as an adult she will not..i agree on the chewing issue..our other shorthair chewed threw our kitchen wall to get to the basement :lol: ..wish i would have had a crate then :wink: !!....ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 am

mister2 wrote:Thanks everyone. I found a 36" plastic crate for $25 on craigslist. My pup will be about 10 weeks when I get him also.
He will like the extra room especially since you had stated you are using one crate for all occasions..i dont think any dog would want to spend 10 hours at a time in too small of an area while you are working, or travelling far or even just while sleeping..so good choice and good luck...ruth :D

JMc

Post by JMc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:03 pm

I agree not to put toys, etc. in the box but I do put my old hunting vest in the box. I first cut off any buttons or buckles then toss it in there. It's my hope that by some means of hunting osmosis that the pup will smell and learn to love the hunting aspect the vest gives out. Of course, I know I'm full of crap...but it sounds good.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

IF you buy used crate....

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Of course if you buy a used crate you should totally bleach it from top to bottom. I forgot to mention that. Bleach it and let it sun dry and then bleach it again. I'm a worry-wart when it comes to parvo... so I take extra precautions when buying used.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm just speaking from experience,I have never had to take a dog to the vet for swallowing something but learned many yrs ago that just becaus a dog has never chewed up or ate anything before doensn't mean there won't be a first time.Here is an example we use to raise & show Dobes I had a female that was 4 or 5 yrs old never chewed up anything in her life,We went to a dog show that day Lady was left loose in the house like she always was with never a problem,When we got home the only thing left of a Brand New pair of shoes were the soles,luckly for all of us it never created a physical problem & she never chewed up another thing the rest of her like.

I use newspapers for puppies in their crates & whelping box,very easy to clean up if they have an accident,change & keep clean.I use straw or wood shavings in the dog kennels for winter during summer the dogs will drag any kind of bedding I use out so use nothing.That's the way my dogs seem to prefer it.