Which blank pistol to get :?:

GSP in Philly

Which blank pistol to get :?:

Post by GSP in Philly » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:36 am

I have a 5 month old GSP that I need to introduce to the gun. I have started by shooting a cap gun while he is eating and he doesnt notice that at all. I am a beginner at training and I do not hunt so any help is appreciated. I was wondering what type of blank pistol I should get. A .32, a .22 or a shotgun primer pistol. It would be used for training and also used for hunt tests/ field trials.

pear

Post by pear » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:50 am

GSP in Philly, I'd go with the .32 for two reasons one being some Hunt Tests require at least .32, and second and most important too me is the 32 can have a sleeve placed in the cylinder so you can use primers. The .22 is just limited to .22. Just my thoughts which don't make it right but I think it makes sense. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:51 am

The .32 is the loudest, followed by the primer pistol, followed by the .22.

If you only plan to run AKC trials, you don't need the .32. AKC rules say only that you can' t use the .22 "crimp" which is the quietest version.

There are a couple of routes to take. I bought a cheapie .22 and used crimps in my training early on. Then, because I reload and have primers around all the time, I bought a nice primer pistol.

Best regards,

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:04 am

i converted an old hr pistol to a dummy launcher. I use the blanks sold at the hardware store, .22 cal. These nail gun blanks are very loud, compared to a shotgun primer. i paid 4 dollars a hundred at lowes store in texas. not as cheap as primers but less than the 32 stuff.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:07 am

i forgot to mention, DON"T, use nail gun blanks in your 22 blank pistol. ask my three fingered buddy what will happen if you need a visual.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:39 pm

You can use .22 concrete primer blanks in the NEF .22 and they're comparably loud to the .22 black powder blanks and the .32. They're rather long and won't fit in most .22 pistols though.

Of course, this is at your own risk. I've shot them a hundred times with no problems, but you're not "supposed" to do it. Just like you're not "supposed" to use the primer sleeves in a .32 pistol.

Doing that, I like the NEF .22 pistol for the versatility. You can use the .22 crimps for the softest noise, as Greg mentioned, then move up to the concrete primer .22 blanks for normal use. In special circumstances you can get the .22 black powder short blanks, which are the loudest .22 blanks I've come across.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:00 pm

Here is what I use all the time. I have been able to enter all AKC events with this no problems. Maybe some other events you couldn't, but I don't know. This would be the cheapest to shoot it takes 209 primers.

CLICK HERE FOR CABELA'S LINK

Edited by Mod to fix the horizontal-scroll

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:11 pm

I'm using a Heritage .22 revolver.
( http://www.heritagemfg.com/traditional.shtml )
I wanted a gun I could use to fire blanks for training, but also needed a target/ small game gun. It came with the 22LR and Magnum cylinders for $129. I'm carefull to never carry live ammo when training. also I clean it often because the blanks leave a lot of carbon in it and I wouldn't want to fire a live round through all that debris.
The down side is the 22 blanks are more expensive than primers. The cheapest I've found was 5.99/100 at www.lcsupply.com. These often jam the cylinder though. The better blanks I buy locally cost 8.99/100, and Remington power loads 4.99/25.
I like the power loads because they're louder, but $$$$.
This is not a suitable option for tests or areas which require blank-only guns, but I like it because it gives me more versatility.
Some day I would like add a primer/ blank pistol to my gear collection, maybe both.
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:02 pm

i have a .32, and since it is a centerfire, i just save some cases and put new small pistol primers in. i use those for training. they are a little louder than .22 CB crimps. the .32 full blanks are quite loud though. do not fire them near your ear or the dogs.

GSP in Philly

Post by GSP in Philly » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:29 pm

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll end up going with a .22 pistol. If I need to get another one I can in the future. I will only be using it for training for AKC events, I don't plan on hunting with him for a while at least. By the time he's ready to go for his SH title, He'll be ready to hear a shotgun.