tail sleeve

silver elhew

tail sleeve

Post by silver elhew » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi everyone.Im new memeber and starting to get into fiel trials.I have seen in magazines that a dog would have a orange sleeve on the top of the tail.I dont no what its made of or how it stays on or where to get one or make one.Anyinfo would be great. THANKS

pear

Post by pear » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:11 pm

Never heard of anything like this, but it sounds interesting....Bet they're for them pups with the overly long tails, not the ones with the proper length tail. "Jumper Cable Man" you'll need one of these. :shock: :D
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

pear

Post by pear » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Whoops.... By the way there "Silver" Welcome Aboard! ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:10 pm

welcome silver,

I havent seen or heard of them either. Wonder if it is just a blaze orange sleeve that would aid in seeing the dog. It wasn't a orange collar around the flank area was it?

You just never know what those long tailed dogs need to keep them competitive with the dogs with the shorter tails. :shock:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

silver elhew

tail sleeve

Post by silver elhew » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks every one. It is actualy on the tip of the tail 2 to 4 inches long it apears to be so you can see them better on point.I just didnt no if any one had some idea of where to get one or what its made of.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:22 pm

They were shown in the last issue of Pointing Dog Journal, on the tips of the tails of pointers hunting in Texas. In the most recent issue, there was a letter to the editor asking this very question. Nobody really knows what the sleeves are made of, but it's speculated that you could just get a small piece of plastic tubing and make it tight around the tail with some blaze orange duct tape.

They were used because the tips of the dogs' tails were getting beat up. They were made blaze orange just for the heck of it. Only necessary for dogs with undocked tails really. Not even sure how "necessary," but probably a little useful.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

silver elhew

tai sleeve

Post by silver elhew » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:54 pm

Thanks. I think your right i just didnt no what it was realy for.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:22 pm

those sleeves have been around for a long long time. i used them on pointers in the 80's. they need to be taped on or they come off pretty quickly. most of the long tail breeds will beat up the tip of the tail striping off all the hair and bloodying the tip, especially in brush or forest cover, and that is the reason for the sleeve.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:57 am

My dogs tails get pretty beat up on the tips. I treat them with some Neosporan at the end of each hunt and rub a little dab of vaseline before we get started. The vaseline helps. I haven't tried the tail tips though (probably won't).

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:07 am

I've had the same problem in the kennel. I used to medicate it and tape them but usually took it off in the field.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

gunner

Post by gunner » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:07 pm

For you new kids in the game, perhaps unfamiliar how a dog should run and dig into difficult cover in it's quest for game, it's called the red badge of courage.
It's awarded to those dogs that show examplary courage by searching difficult coverts.
You may be unaware of the humane laws which prohibit the docking of tails and ears of all breeds of dogs in many countries and may affect the breed of your choice here in the US before too long.
For those that appreciate the hard driving long-tailed breeds, the he-man, lean breed, red badge of courage, not for the faint of heart kind of dog, Tuff Foot pad toughner, or a combination of alum, septic powder and pine tar applied before the working season will work better than any sleeve appliance in reducing tail-tip injury.
Perhaps it might help those bobtailed breeds if indeed they were allowed to run with those appendages God gave them.
Nearly all the the traditional American Field walking, cover dog, and horseback field trials are won by the longtailed breeds.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:43 am

gunner wrote:For you new kids in the game, perhaps unfamiliar how a dog should run and dig into difficult cover in it's quest for game, it's called the red badge of courage.
It's awarded to those dogs that show examplary courage by searching difficult coverts.
You may be unaware of the humane laws which prohibit the docking of tails and ears of all breeds of dogs in many countries and may affect the breed of your choice here in the US before too long.
For those that appreciate the hard driving long-tailed breeds, the he-man, lean breed, red badge of courage, not for the faint of heart kind of dog, Tuff Foot pad toughner, or a combination of alum, septic powder and pine tar applied before the working season will work better than any sleeve appliance in reducing tail-tip injury.
Perhaps it might help those bobtailed breeds if indeed they were allowed to run with those appendages God gave them.
Nearly all the the traditional American Field walking, cover dog, and horseback field trials are won by the longtailed breeds.

So what do you REALLY think? :wink:

gunner

Post by gunner » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:51 am

Perhaps I was being a bit testy answering what I felt, and as per the accompanying little smiley emoticons depicted, shots being fired at longtailed dogs...

"....Bet they're for them pups with the overly long tails, not the ones with the proper length tail."
:shock:
"You just never know what those long tailed dogs need to keep them competitive with the dogs with the shorter tails. " :shock:

Maybe I missed the humor, but many of us grow weary of attacks on our favorite breeds of dogs in postings thinly veiled as humor, where in fact many postings are ment to belittle, or misinform, and leave us to wonder in what light were these comments cast.

The original question could have been simply answered with remarks on tail sleeves or other remedies for conditions that sleeves are used to help alliviate.

I wrote my previous posting after returning from a long weekend pull to a field trial with my horses and dogs and what I'd hoped would be pleasant and rewarding. The weather was not cooperating with torrential rain, thunder and lightning, tornado warnings, flash flooding, and no power. Two roads to the trial grounds were washed out and the only other road there was on the verge of washing out as well. The horses were standing overnight in the trailer on high ground but susceptible to lightning, and the weather forecaster was calling for continued lightning strikes and high winds with tornado warnings. Most of the trial was cancelled. The long drive home wasn't much better...
Yes, I may have been a bit testy or thin skinned when I responded and I appologize if infact I was mistaken at the intent of the the other posts quoted.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:57 am

Not a problem my man. I actually like the fact that people get a little riled. Sorry to hear about the weeekend, sucks when you anticipate something like that and it turns out to be nothing but a huge stressor.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:11 am

i vote with bill. "long-tailed" dogs do not need any help to be competitive with any other type.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:11 pm

Wow, and here all I thought the tail sleeves did was to protect the dog a bit, and had nothing to do with hunting ability or prey drive.

If it's obvious that a tail sleeve would be beneficial, then doesn't it stand to be obvious that a dog would bust cover with or without the tail sleeve? A dog busting cover without the tail sleeve was the reason it was invented in the first place. I don't think the "long tailed" dogs' ability were called into question, just a little razzing. Happens all the time, and all in good humor. Happens from all sides too. "That'd be a good lookin' dog but it's the wrong color." "Someone cut that poor pointer's tail off."

It's certainly not thinly veiled humor over a real attack. It's 100% humor over no attack at all, other than to get a rise and see who can come up with the next zinger. I'm sure that everybody posting knows about breed preferences. There are reasons they chose their breeds and there are reasons everybody else chooses their own. Let's not forget that we're all here to learn and have fun. Understandable stress-related postings aside, let's keep it clean from now on.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:01 pm

You had crappy weather for your trial as well? We had Cold weather with high winds and rain, followed by enough sunlight to warm up the wair and piss off the clouds. Throughout the night the wind blew harder, it thundered and lightning and hailed (leavin about an inch and half on the gound and then capped it off with a nice torrential downpour that left the entire grounds under at least 4-6 inches of water. The only "dry" spots were the parking lot and the dikes surrounding the fields. Made for great scenting conditions and water-logged birds. :roll:

gunner

Post by gunner » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Ayres,
I appreciate your thoughts whatever they may be.
As well, enjoyed looking at your website and was curious about if one of your two dogs making up your kennel operation even had his tail docked? If it was docked I'm curious what percentage and why the difference in length between your two dogs?
Only a suggestion to the nice photos you post there... I think the pictures would be so much nicer with the dogs showing their pointing ability and intensity without the electric collar or check cord showing.
I bet you've got some photos of them without it.
Just sharing my thouhts...

regards

pear

Post by pear » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:58 pm

pear wrote:Never heard of anything like this, but it sounds interesting.... Bet they're for them pups with the overly long tails, not the ones with the proper length tail. "Jumper Cable Man" you'll need one of these. :shock: :D
Gunner I never mind being quoted, but if your going to quote me post the quote as the quote was made, and don't draw me into this. 12Voltman ("Jumper Cable Man" as I call him), and I have a running joke about tail length, and I clearly made my razzing reference to him...Oh and yes I'm the guy that often reminds “Ayres” about his “Hungarian Shorthairs”

Thin skinned? I guess if the shoe fits wear it, if not don’t let it concern you. ...”pear”

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:07 pm

gunner wrote:Ayres,
I appreciate your thoughts whatever they may be.
As well, enjoyed looking at your website and was curious about if one of your two dogs making up your kennel operation even had his tail docked? If it was docked I'm curious what percentage and why the difference in length between your two dogs?
Only a suggestion to the nice photos you post there... I think the pictures would be so much nicer with the dogs showing their pointing ability and intensity without the electric collar or check cord showing.
I bet you've got some photos of them without it.
Just sharing my thouhts...

regards
I've really only got one dog right now in my "kennel." (Note the little quotes, both here and on my website, are there to denote a sort of sarcastic tone about how such a small operation can't be really called a kennel, but there's no real alternative word for it.) The other one you see belongs to my sister and I have him now to give him a proper introduction to birds.

Mine dog is a vizsla who's tail is docked to 2/3 length. My sister's is a weimaraner who's tail is docked to 1/3 length. Why? Breed standards. Better people than I wrote the breed standards, and, until I have the level of experience with dogs that was tapped when creating the breed clubs under the AKC, I'll really not question the standards. Rather, I'll comply because I like them. That's part of the reason why I chose the breed.

I've also read plenty of articles about tail docking and I have to say that I agree with it. If you'd like to start a discussion on the merits of tail docking, please start a new thread with that subject. I'm sure there are many that will chime in with their viewpoints about the pros and cons. Bottom line is, there is certainly more than one view.

As to the pictures in my gallery, I do have some without the e-collar on. Look at my avatar picture for one. However, as you'll notice, that particular part of my picture gallery is the "training gallery." I train with an e-collar and I'll admit it. Therefore, if I only took pics of my dog without an e-collar on in training then my website wouldn't be a very truthful depiction. I could add and put some training pics up where I didn't happen to use the e-collar, but I like to keep the pics as current as possible and those are just the ones that are up. I don't put them all up for bandwidth reasons. I will be getting a few pics from when Justus completed his JH title a few weeks back, just haven't gotten them in yet. Also, I probably should try to get some pics of him when he's running for SH this spring. He obviously won't have an e-collar on then. Thanks for the idea.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:14 am

You know every person on here has dogs and loves them. And everyone knows every breed has excellent dogs and they know what the pointer and setter can do.

I would hope each of you know that and if you do you also know that the banter between people about the breeds is just that. There has not been a single thing on this post that could be taken as a put down of the pointers with out a stretch of the imagination so I'm not voting with anyone but rather with the people who love dogs and can have fun with each other.

Do any of you qualify? I'll bet you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ezzy