Ride'n the truck/car...

swbell

Ride'n the truck/car...

Post by swbell » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:03 pm

So with my first dog she would jump up in the back of my pick up and ride with me everywhere. Esp. loved the fact she would ride in the jon boat with me when fishing. This was before my hunting days. I see dogs ridding in cars all the time sitting in the front seat next to their owners. Right now, I always put my brittany in the her crate when traveling. Just curious what others do. Yes I understand there is a huge safety issue by not having her in the crate.
There is no bad weather...just ill-prepared clothing!
-steve (SE MINN)

sully511

Re: Ride'n the truck/car...

Post by sully511 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:50 pm

For me it depends. If I am going for a short drive, I let them ride loose. If it's a long drive, in the crates they go.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:51 pm

A crate just wouldn't work for me... :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm

mcbosco wrote:A crate just wouldn't work for me... :lol:
I don't think the crate was for you but rather for your dog. :roll: I haven't found the dog yet that a crate won't work for but I do think it should be whatever you want to do.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:25 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:A crate just wouldn't work for me... :lol:
I don't think the crate was for you but rather for your dog. :roll: I haven't found the dog yet that a crate won't work for but I do think it should be whatever you want to do.

Ezzy
I don't think you got the joke...anyway

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Back of the truck.

gripper39

Post by gripper39 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:23 pm

I have to use the crate only place in the car that my dog doesn't get sick.

JMc

Post by JMc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 pm

In the cab or crate; NEVER loose in bed!

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:55 pm

There is a real nice harness setup you can get that ties the dog into the seat belt. Keeps the dogs face out of the dash board when you hit the brakes. Easy on, easy off, nice handle to pick up the dog. A lot cheaper than vet dental work.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:33 pm

In a serious accident, the dog will become a flying missile...could easily break your neck if you were to be hit from behind .. or the dog could be killed when it hits the dash or windshield. All seriously injured dogs become dangerous when thereis enough pain involved. Best to crate the dog and make sure the crate is either bolted or strapped down to the bed. They can still get pretty beat up in a serious accident but the chances of you and the dog surviving are much better.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:49 pm

If this is purely a safety question, then I would have to say always in a crate in the cab no exceptions.
If I was traveling the country with trial dogs I would probably do things differently, but my dog goes me in my truck probably 5 times a day it is highly convenient for me to have him travel loose in my truck bed. I know that there is an inherent risk in it, just as know of those risks while I ride motorcycle. I my case the convenience out way the risks. I know some people will question how someone could actually shoot a gun over their dogs. I guess to each his own.
Last edited by nikegundog on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:56 pm

I've got a topper box with 8 boxes,that's where mine ride. A freind of the family has been ruined mentally for life because of a car wreck where her dog was ejected and killed,It's been 4 years and she still has a ton of guilt because of it even though it was an accident.At a crab feed at their house last fall she broke down in tears just talking about it.My advice is to use a crate and strap it down with a rachet strap or seatbelt or something in the way of a harness.The accident was not our freinds fault was rearended at 50 mph and shoved off in the ditch into a rollover situation,it was summer time and the car windows were down.Keep em safe folks.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 am

We keep an xtra large crate in the house and an xtra large in the garage..grab the crate in the garage and throw it in the back of the van (one back seat out) and both dogs in one crate.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:30 am

DougB wrote:There is a real nice harness setup you can get that ties the dog into the seat belt. Keeps the dogs face out of the dash board when you hit the brakes. Easy on, easy off, nice handle to pick up the dog. A lot cheaper than vet dental work.
We have one of those... they're not as easy to use as you'd think. The strap setup is kind of convoluted and if your dog is still growing, it's a nightmare to adjust. So as good as the concept is, we abandoned it.

We don't have a truck, but an SUV & small sedan. For short distances, the dog goes "in the back" sans crate. Longer drives (1 hr+) in the crate he goes. And since he knows the crate as "home" from his days as a pup, he has no problems with it. Just lays down & relaxes.

Does anyone use those doggy grates that you put up between the cargo section & backseat? How much do they cost & more importantly, do they work?
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 am

Does anyone use those doggy grates that you put up between the cargo section & backseat? How much do they cost & more importantly, do they work?
I used one when I had only one dog. Worked very well in my Explorer. I think I paid around $75 for it. I know they are cheaper now.
Here is one from Amazon and half the cost. http://www.amazon.com/Highland-20045-Bl ... B0002MABGE
I had one like this. http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Wire-Mesh ... sbs_auto_1

Now I have 2 crates in the cargo area. Midwest makes a crate that is perfect length/height for a GSP but is narrow enough to fit 2 side by side in an SUV. They fit perfectly with the back seat up.
The bigger size of these: http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Side-Doub ... B000ZLY0KU

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
I used one when I had only one dog. Worked very well in my Explorer. I think I paid around $75 for it. I know they are cheaper now.
Here is one from Amazon and half the cost. http://www.amazon.com/Highland-20045-Bl ... B0002MABGE
I had one like this. http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Wire-Mesh ... sbs_auto_1

Now I have 2 crates in the cargo area. Midwest makes a crate that is perfect length/height for a GSP but is narrow enough to fit 2 side by side in an SUV. They fit perfectly with the back seat up.
The bigger size of these: http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Side-Doub ... B000ZLY0KU
What size/type of vehicle to you have? We have an Xtera & that was one of our concerns if we decided to get another GSP: how to fit 2 crates in the cargo area.

Thanks!

Apologies for hijacking this thread... :twisted:
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 am

What size/type of vehicle to you have? We have an Xtera & that was one of our concerns if we decided to get another GSP: how to fit 2 crates in the cargo area.
I have a Ford Explorer. The crates fit perfectly in the cargo area. I think the Xterra is too narrow but you should check anyway. I know they fit in the Pathfinder but it is bigger then the Xterra.

2 crates are 42' wide. If you do decide on the Midwest crates, shop around. Some places sell them for $30 or $40 more then others.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:43 am

Always in the car with me. I did make a really good decision to leave my pup in the car while I went hunting with another dog this fall. They are fine in the car for long periods as we take them everywhere but not when I am hunting. I generally hunt by myself so I never had a problem but when we went to give a dog a run that was a little funny with other males my dog decided he was going to try to eat his way out of the car and come with us. $2800.00 lessoned learned. Well he still is not crated, but he will be in a crate heck or highwater when I run another dog.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Mine are always in crates when traveling
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Karen wrote:Mine are always in crates when traveling
Mine are also always crated when traveling. I've heard too many horror stories of accidents happening and the dog gets loose and gets hit by passing vehicles. Also as stated before the dog becomes like a missile in an accident.

As far as riding in the back of a pickup that's downright dangerous. If you have to stop short the dog can easily fall out and get killed.

I always tell my puppy people and friends "Would you allow your toddler to ride in a vehicle without a car seat?" To me it's like having a kid in a car seat.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:29 pm

In a crate, either in the cab or in the bed under a topper.

A few years ago I let my old dog out of her crate, which was on the rear seat in the cab, during a rather long road trip. She thought it was the greatest thing for the first 5 minutes, then she got nervous and decided to climb back into her crate. She was happy there, and so am I.

FWIW,
Dave

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 pm

I have the same experience. They get nervous and almost sick sometimes if they aren't in their crates.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 pm

As far as riding in the back of a pickup that's downright dangerous. If you have to stop short the dog can easily fall out and get killed.

Dogs don't EASILY fall out the back of a pickup, it happens when the dog either jumps out or is allowed to stand with their feet on the truck bed. I'm perfectly fine if you like to do things another way, but that line simply isn't true. Yes dogs can get thrown from a truck bed in an accident ,it can also happen to dogs in crates.

swbell

Post by swbell » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks for all who shared their thoughts. As for me our little "new addition" is in her crate when traveling, short or long distance. Just the choice i've made for this time.
There is no bad weather...just ill-prepared clothing!
-steve (SE MINN)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:27 pm

I used to lecture my clients to NEVER travel or transport a dog unless it was secured in a secured kennel. Years change you. Mine rides in the cab with me even though I know it's not safe for her or me. What the heck. I'm old.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

catchrcall

Post by catchrcall » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Dog box in the back of the pickup or in the dog trailer for me. In the summer the box is just expanded metal, in the winter I enclose the back and sides with plywood to keep the wind off them. I also fasten plywood to cover about 3/4 of the trailer doors. Most of mine wouldn't want to be in the cab anyway. Only time I've had one in the front was when he got soaked real bad in a creek on a cold night and the ride home in the back would have just made it worse on him. He deserved a ride with the heater.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:21 am

nikegundog wrote:

Dogs don't EASILY fall out the back of a pickup, it happens when the dog either jumps out or is allowed to stand with their feet on the truck bed. I'm perfectly fine if you like to do things another way, but that line simply isn't true. Yes dogs can get thrown from a truck bed in an accident ,it can also happen to dogs in crates.
I agree. While I don't condone people putting their dog in the back of their truck, I do it sometimes. But my lab only gets to occasionally ride in the back to Starbucks (3 miles away), and when I take him to the vet for boarding (1 mile away). But my lab is the most well behaved dog I have ever seen in my life, and I don't have to worry about him jumping out.. With my brittany, she either sits in the front seat or in her crate in the bed. I don't have a crate cover, so when its cold shes in the front seat. However, my next truck will have tool box/dog box combo for my dogs. But my brit will still probably sit in the front seat. :D

asc

Post by asc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Strapped down dogbox for long rides, in the cab riding shotgun for short or woods rides.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!