Finally time to send EP pup to training school

OkieDogGuy

Finally time to send EP pup to training school

Post by OkieDogGuy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Got the call from the trainer today and I'll be dropping my nine-month-old EP off for a month of training this weekend. Then he'll go back for a couple day tune-up in the fall.

Have spent all this time getting him ready...understands "here," "sit," "stay," "heel," shotgun acclimated, great prey instincts (even including sight points on Robins during morning walks), many hours in the field chasing birds, staying in shape and enjoying ourselves. All this has been going on since I picked him up at six weeks, had him completely housebroken by 10 weeks. Great dog and my first bird dog, so delighted to finally let a pro train him.

But we've been constant companions for eight months now....so is it too wimpy to admit I'm going to miss him? Don't want to lose my man card over it :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Finally time to send EP pup to training school

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Wipe your nose and get a puppy.

What is the trainer supposed to accomplish with that young of a pup in a month?
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:10 pm

A better question is, why did you teach him to sit?

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 pm

If it is wimpy to miss them, then I am wimpy. My dogs are part of my family. They are more to me than a tool to find birds. They are my companions, my friends, they pick me up after a bad day. They love me and I love them. If truth be told, there are a bunch of us wimpies.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm a girl, but when my Vizsla went to a trainer for a month, I cried like a baby (twice). And I have 9 others at home (though some are beagles, so they don't count as much). It's fine to miss them - I'd worry if you could just ship 'em off and not miss 'em. Funny though, picking him up, folks had told me that the dogs had such a good time at the trainer that they didn't even get "happy" when they were picked up. I told those folks that they were dead wrong and my dog would be thrilled to see me again..... was I ever right! He knocked me over with excitement and stood on top of me in the kennel whining and licking my face. Of course he is a bit spoiled here at home with me - he's my velcro dog. Just stay busy doing your "honey do" list and that'll keep your mind occupied.

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 pm

mine doesn't go to july and i already cant wait to get her back.
will be the first dog to be sent to "school". and im anxious to see the results.hopefully she's a winner!
if not,oh well.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 pm

2 of mine left last weekend for a "tune up". Still have 2 at home, but it's REALLY quiet around the house!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 am

No offense but if a trainer is telling you that they can turn a 9 month old pup into a bird dog in one month of training then you are about to get screwed.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 pm

depending on what your expectations are a month isn't much time to get anything meaningful accomplished unless its just an intro to birds.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 am

I just heard I get to have my girl at home on tues and wed next week... then she is back on the road for another two months. Must be nice to travel and get to work on birds across the west coast. She gets to travel more than me. I'm not sad I'm jealous!!!

hosejockey2935

Post by hosejockey2935 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 am

ElhewPointer wrote:A better question is, why did you teach him to sit?

I teach mine to sit...mainly because they are family members that are cohabitating in my house for the other 9 months out of the year. When we do hunt in the fall, they will make mistakes. Heck, I make mistakes all the time. I consider this a year around hobby, that kicks into overdrive during the fall! It doesn't matter to me though, because a poor day out in the field is better than any day in the office!!!! :D
~tommy
Sir Ta' Mater of Chaos - Mater

Firebrand's Smoke & Mirrors - Kenzie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3358

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:30 am

Mine know GETINSIDDOWNSHUTUPHOLDON. :) Only takes one road trip.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:11 am

If you did'nt slur your words they would understand you better! :lol:

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 am

Naw.. You don't need your man card revoked because you miss her.. Just be careful. We sent our pup off at 1 year to go to summer camp in S.D.. I just wanted her to be my hunting buddy, but my wife and I said we wouldn't hold her back if she showed well. A year and a half later and she's a FC who spends 6 months of the year with the trainer at summer camp and trialing. Its hard every time we drop her off, but shes also always excited to come home as well. She might do better if we left her with the trainer all year, but we still love our pup and she will always be our house dog, hunting buddy, and FT dog. We have come to a happy median where we get to have all 3, even though shes gone half the year. I can't wait to breed her in 1-2 years.