Pa wild pheasants

bwire

Pa wild pheasants

Post by bwire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:29 pm

http://www.myfoxnepa.com/subindex/local ... t_outdoors

The above link should take you to a video of a flushing survey of wild pheasants in Pa. These birds are offspring of pheasants that were trapped out west and released in Pa. This is the best chance we have to get wild pheasants back in Pa.
Last edited by bwire on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcclinj

Re: Pa wild pheasants

Post by mcclinj » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I think that link isnt working, can you try again?

-John

bwire

Post by bwire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 pm

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 am

That one worked, 40 hens and 37 roosters. Pretty close to a 1:1 ratio. I wonder how the other pheasant recovery area's are doing?

-John

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:32 am

The project looks like its working. Does anyone have an idea of why they were hoping for a 1:1 ratio? I can't find the numbers now but in MN I believe they look for a something like a 4:1 ratio, 4 hens for every rooster.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:16 am

my guess would be that the ratio is closer 10 1:1 in PA becasue it is illegal to hunt the birds in the recovery area.

bwire

Post by bwire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm

They want a 1:1 ration because I think they relased about a 50/50 mix. And with no hunting in the area the ratio should remain about the same.
Spring crowing counts will be done to judge the population. I'm not sure how the other areas of the state are doing. Some of them are starting their flushing survey soon. A new pheasant area in Dauphin and Schuylkill county got its first round of birds recently. I think it was around 250 pheasants.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 pm

The Pike Run WPRA survey is tomorrow, Sunday and next Thursday / Sunday. I'm gonna go along and see what we kick out. Will let everyone know what we find.

-John

bwire

Post by bwire » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm curious how things are going out there. I think that was the first area in the state to get birds and some things were learned that helped improve the other areas. Good luck.

JHumes

Post by JHumes » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:52 pm

I don't know where New Oxford is in PA, but in SE PA the stocked pheasants don't surive.I go on the HUNT PA chatroom and in the NW,SW PA hunters seem to get birds that survive stocking dates almost months later.
James -cell: 484-636-9938
-home:610-279-5110

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 pm

JHumes wrote:I don't know where New Oxford is in PA, but in SE PA the stocked pheasants don't surive.I go on the HUNT PA chatroom and in the NW,SW PA hunters seem to get birds that survive stocking dates almost months later.
They are talking about the wild bird restoration and not just releasing stocked birds. Just hope they aren't as spooky as the PA Grouse.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bwire

Post by bwire » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm

JHumes wrote:I don't know where New Oxford is in PA, but in SE PA the stocked pheasants don't surive.I go on the HUNT PA chatroom and in the NW,SW PA hunters seem to get birds that survive stocking dates almost months later.
ezzy is correct. And there is no pheasant hunting in the release areas that are WPRA. That may change in the future if the numbers keep going up.
New Oxford is in southern Pa, about 10 miles away from Gettysburg. The video from the flushing survey is about 120 miles north of me.

Danro

Post by Danro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 pm

heard some places are doing real well and others not so much. I think its more than just the cover, there are so many hawks in pa its ridiculous, and the federal government treats them like they're made of gold. I'm not saying have at them with a hunting season but I think its about time they get taken off the migratory bird treaty act.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:32 am

There has always been a degree of carryover to breeding birds, I expect.

The test areas can indicate what will happen in a test area but they will do little to prove what will happen in a widespread reintroduction....too many other factors with which to contend.
This has been tried before with different faces.
But...the key now is the CREP acreage in the area draining into Chesapeake Bay.
That increases habitat, tho private, and while contiguous acreage is important....good habitat is most important.
I expect that many will eventually find pretty swell pheasant hunting in Pa. on private land.
Never tho will there be a return to the post-war days in Pennsylvania where they harvested a million birds or so.

Hawks hurt but see too much focus re gamebirds.

TXShooter

Post by TXShooter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 am

I think they have the best plan yet. I hope it works.

I remember the pheasant hunting in PA in the late 60's and early 70's, it was fantastic.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:04 am

Flushed a few farms yesterday, only flushed 2 roosters. Seems those particular farms have a great deal of cover, but nothing for the birds to eat. We got started at around 9:30 or so, so the birds may have been off looking for food. Should have more luck Sunday, with more people and more dogs.

-John

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:02 pm

One thing about the restocking that strikes me.....

Why would the game commission be so interested in restocking a non native bird?
Are they doing the same thing for the Bobwhite, a native bird?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:56 pm

birddog1968 wrote:One thing about the restocking that strikes me.....

Why would the game commission be so interested in restocking a non native bird?
Are they doing the same thing for the Bobwhite, a native bird?
They are restocking a bird that has proven to do well in that environment for the bird hunters in that area. You notice it is a 'restocking" effort. Dont think there are many areas this far north where the quail have ever done well. If they try a restocking program Georgia I'll just bet it will be quail and not pheasants. What do you think?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bwire

Post by bwire » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm

The PGC is working on a similar plan for the Bobwhite. I think they have completed a draft of the plan but nothing that has been released.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Ezzy most of Pa except the western 1/5th (roughly) are in the quails historic range. There were many quail in Pa in the 70's and early 80's......I hunted them there.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Danro

Post by Danro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Theres not a chance on gods green earth that the game commission will put as much effort into stocking and habitat recovery for bobwhite quail as they have pheasant. the age of the bobwhite in pa left with the farmers. I was afraid that would be the same problem with reintroducing pheasant, although theyve done a good job with keeping landowners involved in crep so far. I dont think theres enough interest in bobwhite quail with pa hunters and I dont believe they could survive above rt 80 anyways so it would be a very specific reintroduction effort with not much room for expansion.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

TXShooter

Post by TXShooter » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:02 pm

I think the pheasants have been here long enough to be given citizenship. :D

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:27 am

Winter is far tougher nut for quail in Pennsylvania than pheasants...as is finding, developing and maintaining the cover they need with a clean understory.
Lot of weedkiller sold in Pa.

Quail were/are indeed in Pa...whether or not they were the spooky Mountain Quail that some residents claim or just the a good ol' N. Bob, I won't claim.
Ohio has a somewhat active quail interest with little real chance for success but finding such in the better, more likely successful areas of the Keystone State is not likely to happen.
But, if the PGC or individual landowners have in the past or present obtained money-sharing thru WHIP or any such program then they would be likely to think positively toward any species they can list which will help them obtain that money....that may be Quail....may be Woodcock...may be the Golden-winged Warbler.

Reintroduction of the pheasant depends upon habitat which CREP has delivered in some areas; it requires food which normally follows but is not quaranteed; it requires non-fragmentation which may be hard to ensure for the future....reintroduction of the pheasant for hunters also depends upon access.
The PGC, compared to Ohio, does a wonderful job on their Gamelands but that I doubt the golden olden days for hunters carries the same ease of access today.

It would not have been wise for the PGC to ignore the advantages that CREP laid in their lap....whether the gamble helps a few or a lot will be read on the last page of this story.

Now...the elk reintroduction may be another matter....tho a glamorous one.