First Field Trial

NC Quailhunter

First Field Trial

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 am

I have never been to a field trial. Like many it is just a matter of not knowing anything about them or where they are being held. So I got a phone call from a friend that said a local field trialer was putting on a no sanctioned fun trial at his place this weekend. So I say why not. I went and the people that I met were so helpful with explaining things from the way the format goes to the differnces in the classes. It was an eye opening experience and I made a few new friends and I plan on entering my two dogs in a trial that is going on this weekend not too far away. We will see how it goes. I am looking forward to seeing some sanctioned trials and see how the big boys and girls play.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Elkhunter

Re: First Field Trial

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:49 am

Dont trust em! You have read about the evil FT's on this forum! :D Good luck you will be addicted soon!

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:23 am

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 pm

NC Quailhunter wrote:I have never been to a field trial. Like many it is just a matter of not knowing anything about them or where they are being held. So I got a phone call from a friend that said a local field trialer was putting on a no sanctioned fun trial at his place this weekend. So I say why not. I went and the people that I met were so helpful with explaining things from the way the format goes to the differnces in the classes. It was an eye opening experience and I made a few new friends and I plan on entering my two dogs in a trial that is going on this weekend not too far away. We will see how it goes. I am looking forward to seeing some sanctioned trials and see how the big boys and girls play.
If you want your dogs to play some when they're not competing, make sure you check where all of the active fields are every day. The first day it may be the eastern field is open, but the 2nd day you can only use the northern field. So just remeber to check beforehand, people get kind of upset if your dog starts finding birds for someone elses dog... :oops:

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:20 pm

helpful_cub wrote:
NC Quailhunter wrote:I have never been to a field trial. Like many it is just a matter of not knowing anything about them or where they are being held. So I got a phone call from a friend that said a local field trialer was putting on a no sanctioned fun trial at his place this weekend. So I say why not. I went and the people that I met were so helpful with explaining things from the way the format goes to the differnces in the classes. It was an eye opening experience and I made a few new friends and I plan on entering my two dogs in a trial that is going on this weekend not too far away. We will see how it goes. I am looking forward to seeing some sanctioned trials and see how the big boys and girls play.
If you want your dogs to play some when they're not competing, make sure you check where all of the active fields are every day. The first day it may be the eastern field is open, but the 2nd day you can only use the northern field. So just remeber to check beforehand, people get kind of pissy if your dog starts finding birds for someone elses dog... :oops:
If it's an AKC event you cannot train on the grounds during a trial. We run two sometimes three fields duing a weekend. You can't train there even if they're not using it.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 pm

This is a local thing. I don't think there will be any room to train or run the dogs on another field. It isn't supposed to be a very large event but you never know. I will keep you guys informed. I am kind of excited at the thought of doing something different with the dogs.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Good Luck!
Dog On Point!!