Keeping energy up during hunt test

Hattrick

Keeping energy up during hunt test

Post by Hattrick » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:51 pm

What are the tricks of the trade during long hunt test in keeping your dogs energy high ? I`m running my first UT test in this spring they can be a all day event feild work wait, water work wait, drag wait, water reteive wait.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Keeping energy up during hunt test

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:01 pm

I don't see a hunt test with all of the waiting being any problem for your dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:03 pm

+1 for the conditioning, but I also use Xtremefuel Booster Bars during hard workouts for my dogs. I spend about a week pheasant hunting SD every year with just my two dogs and no days off (unless weather is really extreme) and the bars seem to keep them going pretty well during the day.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:12 pm

I hunt my dogs in very cold weather, and many days in a row. Throw them half of a cup of ground chuck, and 3-4 chicken gizzards/livers on top of your regular food. Then, run them like mad! Raw food seems to really keep my dogs going when I am asking a lot of them.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Hattrick wrote:What are the tricks of the trade during long hunt test in keeping your dogs energy high ? I`m running my first UT test in this spring they can be a all day event feild work wait, water work wait, drag wait, water reteive wait.
Feed them in the morning. Be sure they drink. Allow them to run when it is their turn. The real question for me is keeping them dialed down in the wait time with all the action around - secluded kennel time helps.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 pm

slistoe wrote:
Feed them in the morning. Be sure they drink. Allow them to run when it is their turn. T
Sorry, but I wouldn't dare feed a dog before a Utility test. Often by 8:30 the dog is in the water on a duck search, often for 15 minutes at a crack. It's not unusual to see a dog puke up some water after the duck search; feeding the dog in the morning is an invitation for bloat.
Ezzy wrote:I don't see a hunt test with all of the waiting being any problem for your dog.
The wait is what can cause the problems, as lactic acid can build up in the muscles.

I'm with Howie, the best thing is proper conditioning and preparation and nothing special, at least the first time you run. See how the dog reacts to the entire day, and if you need to rerun the test, adjust then. Keep the dog watered, and there's nothing wrong if you throw him a biscuit or two at some point during the day, but unless you're running in horribly cold conditions with cold water, I wouldn't do anything other than normal. If you're running in cold weather/cold water, I might throw the dog one of the energy bars IF the dog comes out of the water truly beat and out of gas.

JMO,
Dave

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 pm

I agree Dave is the dog is tightly wound.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Get a can of spam and feed the spam at about 6 am. The dog will be good all day.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Boiled calf liver read it in the PDJ and tried it works like a charm :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

What you feed today will not raise the energy level of the dog till tomorrow or later.

Ezzy

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 am

ezzy333 wrote:What you feed today will not raise the energy level of the dog till tomorrow or later.

Ezzy
isn't it past your bed time ?

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 am

gpblitz wrote:IMO good old fashion conditioning.
Couldn't agree more. The longest your dog is going to have to go is 25-30 minutes in the field search
portion of the test. If they're finding/working birds in this portion of the test they have a chance to
stop & catch their breath while the bird is flushed/shot before you send them.

Other than that- the rest is short little bursts (okay, possibly up to a 10 minute swim in the duck search),
so with good conditioning, your dog should be all set. Obviously, BRING WATER for the field search
and park in the shade when you get there so your dog has a cool place to "shut it down" while waiting their
turn.

Good Luck !!

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:25 am

Good meal the night before, maybe a couple cookies in the morning or through the day just for you comfort.
If your dog is in good condition, the only thing you need is to make sure his mind is right. Before the field work go through your yard work drills, Same before each part of the test (more for you and just a reminder for the dog that you are in charge) You need to have your mind right. Don't let the judges influence how you handle your dog. They will tell you when they need you to do something. Focus on your dog, your dog.

My point is it is not your dog, that will have the break down because of fitness in the test It will be your lack of your own mental prep. (Which as I said is handle your dog properly they way you know your dog is comfortable with)

Good luck.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:45 am

Geez where were all you guys that feed on the day of hunting/exercise when i was saying that and getting beatin up..i still have the bruises from ezzy :lol: ..those energy bars are great for keeping them going and i will be trying spam with the dogs but i dont know about sardines that mcbosco uses they may bring out the mountain lions :lol: .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:29 am

Dave Quindt wrote:The wait is what can cause the problems, as lactic acid can build up in the muscles.
I think it would help then to walk the dog down after the dog works. But yeah I'd see the wait as the problem. Years back, while at a two course FT in Cali, I had a dog entered in two stakes. And with the assorted pickups, we ended up going back to back. The club offered to skip a brace and then run my dog. I declined. I felt my dog could do an hour and that the 30 min between would cause more problems than running 60.
Dan

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:18 am

When I first read the topic, I thought maybe you were talking about yourself [just kidding]. It is more of a problem for me than it is my dog. :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:24 am

I dont want Ruth to feel put out...so I will chime in with the group that says it isn't a feeding issue. I believe the problem with energy will first be conditioning, then just not feeling good, from as mentioned the lactic acid build up or an insulin spike. I am on shaky ground with the science here, but the insulin spike can come from a dog not fed a proper diet for a dog and does not access the fat reserves it needs to make its metabolism work properly. Dogs do not digest like humans or access energy, you cannot get long term performance from a dog that is not accessing fat reserves. In dogs that are going to work several days I have found it helpful to use a glycogen supplement post excercise to help replace what they lose in their muscles.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:33 am

You are right Chukar, the glycogen supplements do help, but feeding within an hour of exercise will also help. Don't let them sit in a kennel after a hard day on an empty stomach. It is ok to feed them little nutritious snacks through the day as well. Like a piece of liver. The thing is, you need to be doing the same thing for at least 2 weeks to get the dog adjusted to the work out and feeding.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 am

For a hunt test? Are we talking 30 minutes in the field? Even a UT test is 30 minutes in the field and 20 minutes in the water...that sholdn't be stressful for any healthy dog. I wouldn't feed anything extra, assuming you are feeding a quality diet. First rule of testing for me is always "test like you train" so unless you are giving the dog super alimentation for training, I'd be careful.

Road the dog and keep the dog lean and mean...you will have no problem.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 pm

I guess I don't get it. The dog should be capable of a hard 2 hour stint on the ground - full out. And then the dog will be ready to give it some more after a brief period of rest - actually the dog will be ready to keep on till they fall on the ground, but we put them up after 2 hours. They do have trouble with a third stint on the ground in the same day, or 2 stints a day for 3 or 4 consecutive days.

What is the to-do about? 30 min. of field run and then he may have to go swim sometime later in the day?

Feed the dog if you want (or don't if you don't want) and let them run. They won't collapse on the field.

Oh well.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks for replys this thread took off with out me:) conditioning Is a no brainer. I test this apirl 10 i started today with a 3-4 mile run an swim all out for 30 minutes it works out well we have a couple ponds around the farm we run all out hit the water then repeat i plan on doing this 3 days a week. i might even do it 2 times a day on the weekends closer towards the test. I beleive i should have in top shape by then. I guess i`m more worried about the down time an lose of focus. That seems to be the killer from what i hear. This is my first UT test. I here different guys talking about there tricks for test i figured it be interesting an helpfull to hear you guys. Thanks again

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:37 am

I think going to the training days my club offered helped for 2 reason.

1. I was able to train all aspects of the test and I had people around to help.

2. The way we train is just like test day. I would run through every part of the test and would have down time in between each part. We had 5 or 6 dogs all doing the same thing so everyone waited their turn just like the test. It would take all day long to work through each part of the test but it helped my dog relax between each part. He also understood that after a short rest he got to go back to hunting.

If you do not train with a local chapter you still might consider taking one day and training each section of the test. Run the field then put your dog in the kennel for a little and set up the next section like remain by blind. Put the dog up again and move on to the duck search. It would also help to have a bunch of people around while you train so the dog gets used to the distraction.

Good luck!
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Chukar12,

I have read a few of your back posts and including this one above. Very well said! But I also get the feeling we are maybe cut from the same cloth. -Mark

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:18 am

Run, run, run.

Hunt, hunt, hunt
There is no secret recipe that is going to make an unconditioned run like one in condition without risk. if your dog is ready for the hunt test it should be in hunt condition. Failure to be ready is a failure to prepare correctly.

JMO