Ch. Branscum’s Nickel

ChukarCountry

Ch. Branscum’s Nickel

Post by ChukarCountry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:51 pm

I have been looking into some bloodlines that are different from Elhew. Branscum's Nickel is one sire that I keep running into that I would like to learn more about. It appears that he has sired several wonderful dogs that have gone on to sire more wonderful dogs. Including Slate Creek Doc and Copper Nickel. What are some of your opinions or knowledge regarding this Pointer and his progeny?

Thanks
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com
A website that is in the works for my gundogs

Drifter Saver

Re: Ch. Branscum’s Nickel

Post by Drifter Saver » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:09 pm

The pup that I wrote about in my broken femur thread recently is a granddaughter of Branscum's Nickel. I became attracted to the line through Crow's Little Joe dogs. From there I have moved up the tree to this pup. Natural bird dogs with a lot of brains.
If its not a bird dog, it's just a dog!

ChukarCountry

Post by ChukarCountry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 pm

The pup that I wrote about in my broken femur thread recently is a granddaughter of Branscum's Nickel.
Where did you get your pup from?
Last edited by ChukarCountry on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:35 pm

I sent ya a pm with Mike Branscum's number, the blood is a whole lot different than anything you will ever put your hands on. It is great that this style of bird dog is starting to come back. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

ChukarCountry

Post by ChukarCountry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank you for the info. I have a Black Magic pup being trained right now and I am looking for some good blood to complement him for future breeding.
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 am

Email Rich Heaton - chukarhuntr@aol.com Got some stuff in the works might be right up your alley.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:34 am

Yep I agree with Doc, Rich has some good things coming up..........and as Jonesy said Mike is a "bleep" good guy to talk to, he'll bring ya up to speed real quick on Nickel, and I would definately call Jonesy too.......

Nickel dogs for the most part IME are bird dogs with exceptional noses, good smarts with alot of go with ya to the front, they will look ya up, and they dont need alot of heavy handed training, there more of a show em what ya want and there willing to please.

Would that be your experience as well Jonesy?

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Ya know, I just enjoy them all around, from working to watching run. They are a pleasure in my eyes. I agree with ya whole heartedly.
I am gonna do a breeding here pretty soon, to an AI'd son of nickel, Branscum's Doc Holiday. I cant wait, my bitch is daughter of millers dateline x grand daughter of additions go boy x whippoorwill blood on bottom side. She is very fun and exciting. I believe the cross will be real nice.
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

woodwise1

Post by woodwise1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:04 pm

I was also looking for a line of dog that was different from many of the traditional pointer blood lines. Branscum's Nickel is one of those types of dogs. Two years ago I got in contact with Mike Branscum and we talked quite a bit about dogs and trialing. At that time Mike had nothing for sale, you see at that time there were only three dogs directly out of Branscum's Nickel (frozen semen) 2 males and 1 female. Out of a direct daughter of CH Sir Lancelot. I believe Mike was evaluating these 3 dog's to make absolutely sure they were going to carry the same characteristics that the nickel blood is known for. In addition, he demand's his dog's be comfirmationally correct. Mike won't make exception's to dog's with bad bites, crooked leg's etc. He just don't have it and won't own it.
I got a male pup out of Mike's first breeding (Branscum's Doc Holiday)x(Branscum's Ms. Mississippi) and he has been unequivocally the best young dog i've owned. Nick ( Highbank's True Grit) is everything mike said he would be. He's a powerful front running , bird finding machine. He's has tons of point and has no quit in him and is tough as nails. You see, he's started in the woods. yep, a coverdog... He was having 2,3,4,5 finds on the 45min course behind the cabin in the woods of Michigan on wild birds at 9-12 moths old. I have owned pointers exclusively for the last ten years, purchasing pointer pups every year looking for that lightning in the bottle, well this is the closest i have come yet.
Due to all the snow here in michigan i sent nick down south to be worked at mikes place before the trial season, mike was excited to see nick carry the nickel characteristics that he was breeding for and suggest i breed nick. Therefore i have a planned breeding of Nick (HighBank's True Grit)x(Branscum's Ms. Lancelot) she also a direct daughter of CH. Sir Lancelot . Nick is a super nice bird dog , he possesses the nickel traits such as intelligence, speed, lot's of point. bird finding ability and comformationally correct in every way.
Feel free to call me for any additional info on planned breeding .(586) 291-5563 (Bill) or call Mike Branscum on the validity of Nick's abilities. (606) 271-7872

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Sounds like a heck of a breeding tailcrackin. I love that whippoorwill blood especially. You need to throw some Fiddler in there for good measure though. :D

ChukarCountry

Post by ChukarCountry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Do you guys think that it is Branscum's Nickel as a sire that has influenced succesful dogs like Crow's Little Joe, Slat Creek Doc, Copper Nickel, Burchel's Dutchman, and any other dog that can trace his roots to Branscum's Nickel? Or a combination of good breeding?
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com

ChukarCountry

Post by ChukarCountry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:58 pm

I was also looking for a line of dog that was different from many of the traditional pointer blood lines. Branscum's Nickel is one of those types of dogs.
Also, what other bloodlines do you like that differ from traditional pointer lines? And what would you consider traditional pointer lines? I would consider Elhew and Miller traditional bloodlines.

Thanks for your knowledge :)
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:09 pm

You can consider things how you would like. If you think on it a little deeper, you also have CH.Sir Lancelot, and CH.Lester's Snowatch, that go back to Branscum's Nickel, twice. Just a little more info with the Branscum's Nickel blood, and what it has helped produce. Thanks Jonesy
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

woodwise1

Post by woodwise1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:20 pm

ChukarCountry wrote:Do you guys think that it is Branscum's Nickel as a sire that has influenced succesful dogs like Crow's Little Joe, Slat Creek Doc, Copper Nickel, Burchel's Dutchman, and any other dog that can trace his roots to Branscum's Nickel? Or a combination of good breeding?
It's hard to say, but many of the dogs you mention display many nickel attributes such as, great bird finders,super dedicated and intelligence. If you look at the pedigrees of some of the top all-age dogs today you'll see nickel blood. How about the bird finding abilities of Sir Lancelot or Snow watch or new Nat. Ch. White out. Gary Lesters dogs have been cleaning house on the all-age circuit . Nickel is in all these dog's pedigrees. And again ,all super bird finders with high degree of intelligence. All these dogs mentioned are the best of their venues from all-age to nastra. Can't forget nickel comes a family of prolific producers such as Fast drug delivery,fast delivery,Flush country squire,air pilot,air pilot sam,paladin's royal heir, paladin's royal flush and palamonium. these dogs were also big producers. All seemingly passing very similar traits. I personally can only speak from the nickel dogs iv'e seen and i assure you they are super dedicated bird finders, with a lot's of tool's.

ChukarCountry

Post by ChukarCountry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Woodwise 1, How long have you owned nickel breed dogs?
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com

woodwise1

Post by woodwise1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:17 pm

ChukarCountry wrote:Woodwise 1, How long have you owned nickel breed dogs?

Not to long, but owned plenty of pointers to know when a nice one hits the ground. In addition i've been down to Mike Branscum's place working nickel bred dog's of all ages and it's the same story. They just do things really natural, don't have to teach them to find and point birds. For example, i have a sporty female that mike and i put down for the first time, she's a grand daughter to Slake Creek Doc and a grand daughter to Branscum's Nickel i believe it's 7-8 doses of nickel. well the first time we had her on birds(quail) she located and pointed her bird, after we flushed the bird she was possessed on finding another and when she found and pointed the next bird she literally stood broke while i flushed, now seriously how many pup's under 3 months do stuff like that. There were no traps, no collars and no leads. This pup just hit the ground dedicated to finding another bird. I know there are plenty of nice dog's out there, but these dog's really suit me. I gave three pointers away last year out of popular shooting dog's that didn't have the tool's or had conformation issues. It get's old starting young dog's just to see that they aren't getting it done. Pay good money just to give them away 18 months later. I have been wild bird hunting for almost 30 years and i'm only 40.When i was growing up in Michigan's Thumb region I literally walked out the back door and could kill bird's and today is not much different. We have good grouse and woodcock numbers and you see real quick which dog's are finding most of the bird's. I don't believe in a 2-3 year plan, i want dog's that have the ability to show me bird finding qualities at a young age.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:38 am

I have really enjoyed this thread. Didn't Branscums' Nickle win a walking championship and an all age championship both? Slate Creek Doc stuff was pretty popular in this area at one time and Crow's Little Joe was very strong in the NSTRA game. I would like to hear more from people with Doc breeding in their kennels or who saw him run back in the day.

ChukarCountry

Post by ChukarCountry » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 pm

So, if you were going to start a breeding program around Branscum's Nickel blood what other bloodlines would you complement it with?
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 pm

ChukarCountry wrote:So, if you were going to start a breeding program around Branscum's Nickel blood what other bloodlines would you complement it with?
My first thought after reading this was how popular the CLJ/HTA dogs are in NASTRA.

Those are Nickel/Fiddler dogs.

That's what both mine have been, and I've hunted over many others, but I'm not an expert.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Could someone post a picture of these dogs?......vern

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Curious as to the attributes that set Branscum's Nickel's apart. I've often heard favorable comments about the dog, but never an explanation of what made him great.

woodwise1

Post by woodwise1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm

bigoak wrote:Could someone post a picture of these dogs?......vern

Here are a few pics of some nickel dog's out of (stud) Branscum's Doc Holiday. Both dog's are littermates, the smaller liver headed female is out of Doc Holiday and a Slate Creek Doc/Sir lancelot female.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

woodwise1

Post by woodwise1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 pm

bigoak wrote:Could someone post a picture of these dogs?......vern

Heres some more....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChukarCountry

Post by ChukarCountry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:52 pm

So, I'm contemplating my future breeding program. I have always breed Elhew but as of late I feel that there needs to be more blood then just Elhew involved. What I'm thinking is starting with Black Magic and Nickel Bloodlines then adding in Elhew Blood. This is something that I have been thinking about for awhile. Now, that it is getting a little closer I was wondering what everyone thinks.
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:09 pm

ckirsch wrote:Curious as to the attributes that set Branscum's Nickel's apart. I've often heard favorable comments about the dog, but never an explanation of what made him great.
Brains and 100% bird dog with natural comeback. I got a really nice pup from Mike last year, real pleased with her.

Mo

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:21 am

ChukarCountry wrote:So, I'm contemplating my future breeding program. I have always breed Elhew but as of late I feel that there needs to be more blood then just Elhew involved. What I'm thinking is starting with Black Magic and Nickel Bloodlines then adding in Elhew Blood. This is something that I have been thinking about for awhile. Now, that it is getting a little closer I was wondering what everyone thinks.
There is already elhew in the black magic stuff, personally,I wouldnt add any more.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 am

ChukarCountry wrote:So, I'm contemplating my future breeding program. I have always breed Elhew but as of late I feel that there needs to be more blood then just Elhew involved. What I'm thinking is starting with Black Magic and Nickel Bloodlines then adding in Elhew Blood. This is something that I have been thinking about for awhile. Now, that it is getting a little closer I was wondering what everyone thinks.
Who cares what everyone thinks. Try to produce the dog that you want for your "breeding program", and go after it.

Ridgeland

Post by Ridgeland » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:36 am

Here's a picture of Nickel.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Very nice looking dog :!: :!: :!:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 pm

I used to run NSTRA Trials with Copper Nickle in the 80's. He was always a birdfinder, and mostly when conditions were the worst. He had the intelligence to figure out if he did not find a bird pretty quick to slow down, and hunt the conditions...And he always came out with birds. He was one of the nicest pointers to watch. His owner never traveled, just ran him around Tn at that time, and he was always Hi point Dog. He produced some great dogs too..
brenda

ChukarCountry

Post by ChukarCountry » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Does anyone have any info on the Pike Creek or Southern Doctor Bloodlines? Also, is there any breeders out there using these bloodslines together or seperate?
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Southern Doctor was outta Nickel's Dollarbill x Pikecreek Spikette, who is also the dam of Copper Nickel. Nickel's Dollarbill was outta Branscum's Nickel x Pea Patch Penny........I believe. There is some some semen outta Pike Creek Mike than can be purchased, or there was. Thanks Jonesy
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

maocasio

Post by maocasio » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Dang, it's 2016 and I just received a pup that has CH Branscum's Nickel & CH Slate Creek Doc in his bloodline. :D