Breeding shorthair question

shorty on point

Breeding shorthair question

Post by shorty on point » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:04 am

Hello, I'm recently new to this site, and have a question for all of you reguarding my 4 year old male shorthair. We are currently trying attempting to use my male as a stud dog, but aren't having much luck. The female came into heat approximately 11 days ago and from what I've been told, this is the prime time. When we put the two together, my male acts interested and sniffs and licks, but doesn't get excited enough to mount the female. She is standing perfect for him but he just acts like he doesn't know what to do. This is our first time at using him as a stud dog. What could be the problem, and do any of you have any suggestions about what we can do to get the job done? Thanks.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:12 am

Well, 11 days may still be on the early side. This is pretty typical for 1st time males. The scent on the bitch needs to drive them crazy and it sounds like she is not quite there yet. Give it til 14-15 days, if you don`t get it done go get them AI`ed. Try twice a day and always hold the bitch when he mounts.
brenda

shorty on point

Post by shorty on point » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:18 am

Great, thanks snips. Were gonna try again tonight. We'll keep our fingers crossed! I know when my oldest male was use for a stud, he went crazy when we got the two together. This one, which is the son of my oldest, acts nothing like his dad did! Hopefully he'll get the job done.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:40 am

always hold the bitch when he mounts
Why is this? I have had expireince with stud horses and mares, sometimes you need to add some "guidance" to the stud but the mare usually isnt held. Checking if it took on a mare is something else entirely :) up to the shoulder thru the number 2 entry :(
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:46 am

A first timer male, you don`t want a bitch swinging around and biting him. Even if she is standing good, she could feel pain and freak him out. I do not help males, seems too much handling or talking can break concentration. I have bred horses too, they usually kick instead of bite. I like to turn dogs loose together for a flirtation period then hold the bitch when it gets serious.
brenda

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:53 am

you also do not want the female to decide to leave once a tie is established. usually, attempting to leave causes her pain so nature tells her not to try. but some, particulary fiesty first time bitches, may view that pain caused by their attempting to leave, as something the dog has done, and so they try harder, and one or the other gets hurt.

the tie is a major difference between dogs and most other mammals. it makes them very vulnerable for quite awhile.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:56 am

also, you definitely do not want the bitch to try to sit.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:37 pm

I have bred horses too, they usually kick instead of bite.
Some day we should get together and discuss our "wrecks" it is why Ido not ride any more. Last one was real bad, I still feel that pain in my body. We had race horses, what a handfull they can be. I halter trained a bunch, fixed up the ones that got hurt. Dad had a nice place, we used to take them to Kentucky to breed.

The sales there will drive you nuts with the money that is spent on foals and non runs. Millions. Makes this dog thing seem superficial but that is what I am into, cost is lots less.

Ever do steers? :) just got 2 new Angus steers in. They are starting to follow me around since I feed them :) My son named them Hot dog anf T bone, he is 3.5 and tells everyone we are gonna eat them cows :) Starting him young in my old age, I will be way over 60 when he gets outta high school, might keep me young...
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935