Male vs. Female

hpvizslas

Male vs. Female

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:43 am

Considering switching over to the dark side (will have to figure out a new kennel name) and getting a pointer. I have a couple of litters that I am considering and will be watching a few trials to see what dogs I like. The plan is to get a pointer that would be competitive at walking trials here in the midwest. My question is would it be better to get a male or female? Training differences? What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Jeff

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Male vs. Female

Post by shags » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:10 am

Uh-oh. Put a pointer on your string and before long you'll be embroiled in a 'Field Trial Vizsla' thread :lol:

I don't guess it matters, just whichever you prefer working with, and what will cause the least upset (kenneling males and females) in your set-up.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:22 am

Congrats! I knew it would only be a matter of time. :lol: It really doesnt matter what sex you choose, it only matters on the dog. I would suggest buying a started puppy though. Then you have a better idea of what your getting and can improve your chances down the road of staying on the dark side!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:12 am

topher40 wrote:Congrats! I knew it would only be a matter of time. :lol:
"Just shaking head sadly..."

:D

Chris is right though. Just as long as you have something good to work with.

I will say, though, with the females, you are going to have to deal with the bleeding and stuff like that.

I'm curious, what litters are you looking at? Just PM me.
I don't know much about pointers, just curious is all.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:56 am

In my observations, females mature a little earlier and are less likely to be bucketheads in training. The endurance factor may swing you to a male because some championships run ninety minute seconds. However, a well conditioned female can have an advantage there by not wearing out like a bigger male. If being in heat is a problem, get the shots.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:02 am

CC what are the shots called??

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:10 am

ultracarry wrote:CC what are the shots called??
I knew better than to post that. :)

I will have to find it and I only have a phone right now due to puppy eatage of wiring. I get back on it.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 am

Not a big deal. I won't need it until 2012 trial season lol. My next dog will be a male. My female just went into season 3 weeks ago and the hormones ( first cycle) messed her up a little bit. She is commin out of it right now and getting her head back. If you don't mind them being out 6 weeks a year then female. If hi spend a lot to make your dog competitive then you might not want to miss possibly 6 trials a year.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:54 am

getting off of the OP, but I wouldn't recommend to use the "shots" to keep the females from having heat cycles. It's not worth it down the road.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:getting off of the OP, but I wouldn't recommend to use the "shots" to keep the females from having heat cycles. It's not worth it down the road.
We may not be talking about the same thing. This is a from a fairly recent AKC Gazette article, which I cannot access right now and is fairly common practice due to recent determinations about producing healthier pups from dams who have gone through fewer heat cycles.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Must be something new because the old stuff was not worth the risk.I still don't know anyone that gives shots to females so they can be F trialed.I'd still be skeptical but that's me. :)

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:52 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:getting off of the OP, but I wouldn't recommend to use the "shots" to keep the females from having heat cycles. It's not worth it down the road.
Agree completely; often creates far more problems than it solves.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Must be something new because the old stuff was not worth the risk.I still don't know anyone that gives shots to females so they can be F trialed.I'd still be skeptical but that's me. :)
The article was in the breeding section of one of the last four issues, excluding the current one, of the Gazette. It is available online, but I can't get Flashplayer for my "device."

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 pm

I have three daughters and a wife of 43 years, so I have neveer wanted another female around. Seriously, I've usually just owned males for nearly 40 years because i didn't want to raise pups or be bothered with the "heat" issue.
big steve

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:06 pm

IMO don't look male vs. female...look at quality. I agree in looking at a few started derbies, then decide. I have one of each (M/F) and picked them because of what I saw on the ground and one was just bred right with barely no financial strings attached. So far so good. Grab one you can win with and worry about the "plumbing" later.

Female
BellaBDancer.jpg
Male
1224101246b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 pm

PntrRookie,do you think that fine-looking stud dog is embarrrassed by you working him with that little pink lead? :?

Maybe you should switch it to the pretty girl dog, and get him a thick leather lead engraved with "Death before Dishonor" or something.. :wink:

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Steve007 wrote:PntrRookie,do you think that fine-looking stud dog is embarrrassed by you working him with that little pink lead? :?
Probably, I am using it to embarrass him until he get's his bird work RIGHT! ;) It is actually one of those bright orange/red, flat, plastic leads. LOVE them. Until he runs and get's it right, he will NOT be rewarded! :)

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm

topher40 wrote:Congrats! I knew it would only be a matter of time. :lol: It really doesnt matter what sex you choose, it only matters on the dog. I would suggest buying a started puppy though. Then you have a better idea of what your getting and can improve your chances down the road of staying on the dark side!
It's still going to be a little bit before I get one, just starting to get an idea in my head now. Figured it would be better to go with a pointer to play the pointer game, then get another V. Kind of like trying to recruit Jordon to play MLB instead of Pujols. Remember how that turned out? :lol:

Thanks for the advice everyone, gives me plenty to consider. The idea of a started pup might be the way to go but what about the bonding period as a pup?
big steve46 wrote:I have three daughters and a wife of 43 years, so I have neveer wanted another female around. Seriously, I've usually just owned males for nearly 40 years because i didn't want to raise pups or be bothered with the "heat" issue.
With my second daughter six weeks old and no plans for a son, maybe this is why I am leaning towards a male.
:)

mister2

Post by mister2 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 pm

I am getting a GSP, as far as temperament goes, is a male or female better around kids? I have 2 boys ages 3 & 5. This will be my and their first dog so just wanna know what to expect, if male or female is better and why? Thanks.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Like just about everything else it depends more on the dog then the sex.GSPS on a whole are very good with kids especially if raised with them. :D
Have fun & good luck with your pup. :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Puppy bonding is a myth. Ask anyone with a real service dog from an organization like Seeing Eye.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:55 pm

mister2 wrote:I am getting a GSP, as far as temperament goes, is a male or female better around kids? I have 2 boys ages 3 & 5. This will be my and their first dog so just wanna know what to expect, if male or female is better and why? Thanks.
Lay down the pecking order right away and either will be fine...My male GSP has been in the house nearly 13 years how and has been GREAT!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:07 pm

mister2 wrote:I am getting a GSP, as far as temperament goes, is a male or female better around kids? I have 2 boys ages 3 & 5. This will be my and their first dog so just wanna know what to expect, if male or female is better and why? Thanks.
Sex won't matter near as much as picking the right litter and listening to the breeders advice about which pup he'd recommend for a house with rowdy little boys (my assumption is that all little boys are rowdy). Do your research and find a reputable breeder who knows his stock and does the appropriate health testing and clearances. Don't buy one out of the paper or off craigslist. If you are willing to go with a non-puppy that doesn't need to be housebroken or taught not to chew, you can always find some great dogs through rescue - that have been temperament tested and are good with kids.

As for you Jeff, I just don't know what to say. Long live the Vizslas!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:10 pm

There is no distinction, but bloodlines do matter. Most of mine don't care for small children and will avoid them, which is fine by me because I feel the same way.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm

GSP's are great with kids..i have 5 girls and never had an issue ..its the pup you have to protect with kids, they have to be taught to be gentle so the pup does not fear them from being mistreated..teach the kids AND the pup to be gentle and you will do just fine..also you can take the kids and the pup to obedience classes and they will learn together plus its fun family time :D ..our female GSP pup and 3 year old are best buddies :mrgreen: .....ruth

jersey and kaitlyn taking a nap shhhh...
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:12 pm

I prefer males, no rhyme or reason, just my personal preference, it is more about the individual dog.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:01 am

I pick the best pup, then determine the sex.

Cajun,

About bonding, I think it does matter a great deal when you are trying to get a combination of independence on cooperation. If they start sending the seeing eye dogs to the store and expect them to return with the proper change (and they certainly seem smart enough) I will look to them for guidance on how to interact with dogs. There is a big difference between a dog that is expected to be on its own for 10-15 minutes at a time, yet still be in control, than a dog that never leaves your side.

The other group that heed that mix, is the herding dogs, the breeders of which I have interviewed are even more concerned with proper bonding.

Perhaps we need a different word than bonding, I don't even know what it means, I confused it with bondage during child rearing and was against it on moral grounds. But bird dogs that spend a lot of time with humans from an early age tend to perform better.

And perhaps that is why so many top dogs are females, many seem to respond better to and need more attention.

Neil

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Puppy bonding is a myth.
Ahhh...OK I will give ya the "bonding" part, but I truly believe that "socializing" a puppy is HUGE. I will by a started dog that I personally have not bonded with (yet), but I bet I could tell you if the dog has a socializing problem right off the bat.