Gsp suggestions?

gsps4evr

Gsp suggestions?

Post by gsps4evr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm looking to getting a new pup this spring. Just looking for a few suggestions in where to look. I'm from Rochester, Mn. I'd like to have some similar lines to what my last one had in him. He had a bunch of FC titled dogs most notable were Dixieland Rusty, Uodibar's Bossman, and a lot of KS titled dogs I know those dogs are long gone but is there any out there that would have some of there traits?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Gsp suggestions?

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:24 pm

If you can post the pedigree, it would help. Also, what are you seeking in a dog? Hunting? Versatile? Field trial?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:02 am

You can find litters with KS titled dogs here:

http://www.nadkc.org/deutsch_kurzhaar_breedings.htm

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 am

Here is the 5 line pedigree. I'm looking for a hunting and trial dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am

That turned out huge sorry about that not sure how to make it smaller.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:43 pm

gsps4evr wrote:That turned out huge sorry about that not sure how to make it smaller.
Enter it in Perfect Pedigrees and link it. There is not much in the first three generations to work from. What kind of trials are you interested in?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:08 pm

If you want something from the west coast I would call Larry Lowell. Lowellsgundogs.com he has a solid male pup that's 4 weeks old right now that he is willing to sell. I talked with Larry for 3 hours yesterday about breeding he is doing and has done in the past. His dogs are known for being able to compete in almost everything. He guarantees health and bird finding ability in his dogs. He will only sell to hunting or trial homes and would rather keep a dog then sell it to someone who won't use it. I didn't buy my dog from him and he had nothing to do with the breeding but some of his dogs are in the top side of my pedigree. Troy08er has two dogs from Larry and don't think he could be more happy.

If your thinking about it I would call him and pick his brain. Let him know what your looking for and see if he has a match.

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Here's the pedigree of the pups gspblitz mentioned earlier. I picked my boy out last weekend. Great looking litter. Should make some nice hunters.

JJ

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:10 pm

I would talk to Lenny Morales at www.sixxemkennels.com. He has some very nice litters that will be on the ground shortly out of some Slick lines, I bought a female from him named Sadie, her ped is in my signature and she is bred about as good as they get. I would give him a call. The NAVHDA dogs make great hunting dogs, but I know that range is not really something they breed for. Though I am sure some could compete in trials and do fine.

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:08 pm

If you look at VC Tall Oaks Amazin Angel in the pedigree I posted you'll see a similar lineage as your Flash Point dog. Maximillion with Luke a few Gens back. That's what caught my attention.
Granted the rest of the Lady/Rev pedigree is all NAVHDA lines. I guess it depends on what you''ll use the dog for most; but they should make some excellent hunting dogs.

JJ

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Now that I finally found a way to read it, I would suggest you look at dogs with a strong affiliation to Hillhaven's Hustler and P J Wildfire.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Now that I finally found a way to read it, I would suggest you look at dogs with a strong affiliation to Hillhaven's Hustler and P J Wildfire.
I would strongly suggest you ask yourself what type og dog you are wanting, ie range, personality, etc.....I would find it hard now to find a GOOD line with a strong affiliation to PJ.....Call Vicari if you want those answers, and make sure your ready for what you ask for in that as well.........

JMO

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 pm

lvrgsp wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Now that I finally found a way to read it, I would suggest you look at dogs with a strong affiliation to Hillhaven's Hustler and P J Wildfire.
I would strongly suggest you ask yourself what type og dog you are wanting, ie range, personality, etc.....I would find it hard now to find a GOOD line with a strong affiliation to PJ.....Call Vicari if you want those answers, and make sure your ready for what you ask for in that as well.........

JMO
His name was Sport. And, there are quite a few lines that start with him, including my obsession, the Pipeline dogs. Sport was the grandfather of Pipeline's Coca Cola Cowboy. A breeding between that dog and an Esser's Duke daughter, Ryan's Carrie Ann can be found in many performance pedigrees. That bitch takes you right back up the line to the Chick/Axel blood. If you don't think that Axel and Chick were prepotent, I have a four year old that's the spit image of them. Chick was one of the foundation forces behind Rawhide's Clown, also. Pipeline's Coca Cola Cowboy also contributed to some of the Chicoree dogs. Wildfire Kennels is still producing dogs from the prepotent foundation created with Sport.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Right above the jpgs of the pedigree of his old dog, he said he wanted a hunting and trial dog.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 pm

When I was looking I talked with a few breeders and ended going with Larry Lowell from Lowellsgundogs.com
The reason I went with Larry was because he had great reviews from references. I wanted a dog in the 50-60 Lbs. range because being a foot hunter that means I don’t carry as much water. I like the hound look with block heads on a GSP. I do a lot of wild chukar and quail hunting so it had to come from BIRD DOG lines. I’ll be breeding my Gator dog to Larry’s Bess
http://lowellsgundogs.com/pb/wp_68a4b9f ... 4b9fb.html bitch around the end of the month. Bess was an AA dog when Larry was FC her.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 pm

gpblitz wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Right above the jpgs of the pedigree of his old dog, he said he wanted a hunting and trial dog.
Sorry missed that!!! Some of these pups will plenty capable of running walking trials.
I wouldn't doubt that at all, especially if they were encouraged to run as youngsters. I've seen some of those black dogs that could haul like their tails were on fire and their butts catching. That pedigree could compete in several areas. One thing that NAVHDA brings in is endurance.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:00 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
lvrgsp wrote:

JMO
His name was Sport. And, there are quite a few lines that start with him, including my obsession, the Pipeline dogs. Sport was the grandfather of Pipeline's Coca Cola Cowboy. A breeding between that dog and an Esser's Duke daughter, Ryan's Carrie Ann can be found in many performance pedigrees. That bitch takes you right back up the line to the Chick/Axel blood. If you don't think that Axel and Chick were prepotent, I have a four year old that's the spit image of them. Chick was one of the foundation forces behind Rawhide's Clown, also. Pipeline's Coca Cola Cowboy also contributed to some of the Chicoree dogs. Wildfire Kennels is still producing dogs from the prepotent foundation created with Sport.

Wow, lets see here where to start.

I know very well who Sport was, Joe lives and hour and a half north of me I'll let him know you said hey at the Rock River trial. Notice I said a good affiliation to PJ, and Im pretty sure alot of it is watered down now or you'd be seeing alot more than what you wanted out of some tight PJ blood.

I had a solid liver dog that was out of Chicoree Hickory Doc bred back to Pipelines Ruff Cut Rita, thats enuff of your Chic x Coca Cola Cowboy stuff, and quite honesty I would'nt reccomend it he was hard headed and could'nt keep him broke.

Chic was one of the foundation forces of Clown? WHAT, where do you come up with this stuff, Clowns pedigree is about as questionable as any out there, forget what he did and what he produced. Chic is in there what one time maybe twice in 5 gens? I would hardly call that a foundation force, and I seriously question that breeding anyway.

Gsp4ever, I would suggest you get a hold of the gsp club of Minnesota, there are alot of good breeders, trialers, navhda folk up there go see a few trials, tests and make a decision based on what you see. Give Howie a call and talk to him he is very knowledgedable.
Maybe try Chad Hines up at Willow Creek kennels, Clark Linn lives fairly close to you I would talk to him I am sure he could give you some tips as well. I believe he has a website, Maverick shorthairs.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:41 am

lvrgsp wrote:

Wow, lets see here where to start.

I know very well who Sport was, Joe lives and hour and a half north of me I'll let him know you said hey at the Rock River trial. Notice I said a good affiliation to PJ, and Im pretty sure alot of it is watered down now or you'd be seeing alot more than what you wanted out of some tight PJ blood.

I had a solid liver dog that was out of Chicoree Hickory Doc bred back to Pipelines Ruff Cut Rita, thats enuff of your Chic x Coca Cola Cowboy stuff, and quite honesty I would'nt reccomend it he was hard headed and could'nt keep him broke.

Chic was one of the foundation forces of Clown? WHAT, where do you come up with this stuff, Clowns pedigree is about as questionable as any out there, forget what he did and what he produced. Chic is in there what one time maybe twice in 5 gens? I would hardly call that a foundation force, and I seriously question that breeding anyway.

Gsp4ever, I would suggest you get a hold of the gsp club of Minnesota, there are alot of good breeders, trialers, navhda folk up there go see a few trials, tests and make a decision based on what you see. Give Howie a call and talk to him he is very knowledgedable.
Maybe try Chad Hines up at Willow Creek kennels, Clark Linn lives fairly close to you I would talk to him I am sure he could give you some tips as well. I believe he has a website, Maverick shorthairs.
I'm sorry, apparently you tend to generalize. I wouldn't know Mr. Vicari if he walked up and bit me, but if he enjoys salutations from people he doesn't know, by all means, extend mine. I have very little association with the GSP crowd, only the breed.

If you like or dislike a dog or a line or a breeder, that's your perogative, as it is anyone else's. It's usually referred to as kennel blindness.

Have a nice day.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 am

It's usually referred to as kennel blindness.
Kennel Blindness refers to the inability to fairly judge the dogs in your own kennel. Goes no further than that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:21 am

Actually, it is subjectivity.

larue

Post by larue » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:51 am

I would take a look at what dan hoke has out west,I am very happy with the pups I have,and waht I have seen out of his dogs.Friendly,smart natural bird dogs.
If you want closer there are a couple of litters on the ground here in wis,dogs I know from nice trial dogs.
In two years the futurity should be a lot of fun,with the quaility of these pups !
Dans website..http://www.dunfur.com/

dan janssen

Post by dan janssen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:02 pm

If your looking for a very strong linebred Hihaven Hustler GSP I have a friend that has pups right now they are some of the best I've seen and they are in Sioux Falls SD not very for from you. email me at djanssen04@hotmail.com Bookem

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:21 pm

gsps4evr wrote:Here is the 5 line pedigree. I'm looking for a hunting and trial dog.
This is where the gentlemen stated he wanted a trial dog! :D

gsps4evr

Its a done deal picked my new pal

Post by gsps4evr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been looking, calling and searching for awhile since my gsp passed away about upcoming litters I wanted to leave my own personal searching around out just to see what some of the kennel names and replies that I would get back would be. I went an checked out a litter that I had heard about before and went with the litter that gpblitz and Mngsp had mentioned. Howie Lynn said that was very nice of you to mention her litter. Mngsp you must have picked the first black/white male since the gentleman before me picked one of the other black/white males. Well heres the little fella that I picked out. Know I just gotta figure out a name.
Last edited by gsps4evr on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:48 am

Very cute..gsp's are my favorite bird dog..have fun picking the name..my suggestions are Ruger, Wesson, Remi, Hunter, Gunner, Gage, and Chief..those are my favorite male names i had picked out but this time we went with a female i wanted Raven for a female but hubby won with Jersey..anyway good luck and enjoy the journey!!.... :D ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:25 am

I think you should call him Deuce, like Deuce Coupe, after his daddy. Or Coupe.

Got another: Tach, like tach it up. I like car songs. :)

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:05 pm

I was just looking at navhda events and was thinking either st.croix or southern minnesota navhda has one in august. I've known about navhda but never attend an event. So I'll be all ears about any info an tips. I just did my membership online with navhda this morning an I'll plan on joining the so mn navhda club too. I'm pretty excited about getting him home an working with him now.

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Glad you chose a pup from Lynn. I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision.

Yes, I had the first pick of the black/white males. Boy those pups got big in the past week! I can't wait to pick mine up!

Congrats!

JJ

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Yep I think I'll be real happy with my decision. I feel like a kid during christmas can't wait to pick him up.