How to get a dog interested in birds.

Brittlver

How to get a dog interested in birds.

Post by Brittlver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:08 pm

I have a 6 month old Brittany and she does not really want anything to do with birds. She will pick up a bird hold it for a sec or two then drop it and want to play. Would playing with a frozen dead bird help or is this something that I should just keep showing her some live birds and eventually she will pick it up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: How to get a dog interested in birds.

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Take her for walks without saying a thing. I would be OK to use a clip wing pigeon in the yard also. I think if she happens to find a couple of birds while out walking her drive may gradually kick in. Just don't push her but give her lots of opportunites.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Will she seek out the live bird or are you just giving it to her? If she likes to hunt/seek/run, put a live pigeon out or a good flying quail/chukar that will fly away - so she can chase it. get her to want more and the fly away may do that...

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Its most tied wing pigeons, she will go pick it up but doesn't seem interested in it. We also tried cutting one to get some blood hoping that my get her to want it more but same thing. I am going to try to go to a preserve so she can run into a few birds hoping bumping the will get her interested. I will keep at it and may try to play fetch with a frozen one as well.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:35 pm

Can you get a few live quail?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Get some pigeons that you will be able to let fly away. First take a pigeon and tease her with it being carefull to not let the wings flapping scare her. You hold the wings and just keep teasing her with the pigeon. Hopefully she will want to get it from you. After you have established that she is not scared of the bird tease her by holding the bird by its feet. Hopefully with the bird flapping around while teasing her will get her excited about the bird. Once you have established that she is excited about the flapping bird give the bird a toss and hopefully she will chase. Do this till she gets crazy about chasing the birds. This is where good breeding comes in because pups with good breeding it is not that necessary to keep teasing the dog.
Birddog 307

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 pm

I should be able to get some Quail in here soon, the trainer that I will be working with said he should be getting them soon and bring her around them because they will make sounds when they fly so that may interest her. I will try the teasing her part here soon and see what she will do. Her bloodlines are really good so I am not worried that she won't like them its just a matter of when. I think this will get better now that it is spring. It was a tough winter around here and not many birds around. Most got shot by the first weekend. Tons of people out opening weekend around Madison.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Let her hunt on her own. She will pick it up. I promise. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Off leash around live birds.

Pigeons at parks have excited every pup I've been around.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:17 pm

That's a good Idea, now that it is spring time all the geese and ducks are coming back. Maybe letting her run after those as long as she doesn't get in any fights might help.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Here is a picture of the Cutie Pie

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:31 pm

She is a doll.

Your wife dress her up too?

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Ya she was mad she couldn't get her toy dog so I told her she could dress this one up. It fits her as she acts like one of those rich girls. Spoiled and everything has to be about her, this is about the dog not my wife. :lol:

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Show her that she is not that important! Let her realize that she is not the most important entity!
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Brittlver wrote:Ya she was mad she couldn't get her toy dog so I told her she could dress this one up. It fits her as she acts like one of those rich girls. Spoiled and everything has to be about her, this is about the dog not my wife. :lol:
My wife has always done it to puppies, I figure just let her have her fun, and hope the pups grow quick! :lol:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Ya shes to the point where you cant buy anything that will fit. Shes 6 months old and ways 30+ lbs so she is almost full weight right now so she is done playing dress up.

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:28 am

forget the frozen birds, you aren't going to accomplish a thing with those. Try a wing clipped pigeon hidden in the grass, let her find it chase it even kill it if it comes to that and you should keep quiet while she is doing it. If the pigeon doesn't get her fired up and she shows no interest in chasing chippy birds in the field......well there are lots of well bred litters to pick from to find a pup that likes birds.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Ok I got some awsome news. Molly is finally picking up pigeons. Was playing with her in the garage for a bit due to the rain. I pulled all the wing feathers so it could not fly and threw it on the ground. Molly went bullistic and jumped on the bird, picked it up and was running around. :lol: Took it from her and threw it on the ground and she took after it and picked it up again. Tomorrow its supposed to be nice out so I will be working with a check cord and trying to get her to bring it to me. Yay I am so excited, now I can start advancing her training abit