Surrogator ?

gittrdonebritts

Surrogator ?

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:41 pm

I saw one for sale used and have watched all the videos and read all there reviews and was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with these ? I'm only kinda thinking about getting one or maybe even building one myself.

Iowa

Re: Surrogator ?

Post by Iowa » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:59 pm

We have been on the fence for sometime with them. I asked this question some time ago and didnt get much response. I would also like to hear real world results with pheasants...

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for the Response even if you are in the same spot as me I'm more interested in using it for quail.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Several independent studies have shown very poor results with surrogators on quail. Georgia DNR did one, Kentucky is doing one, and there is a larger study with a grad student from Oklahoma.

You will definately not re-stock your wild bird populations using this tool. Strictly for dog training... and what the Georgia study showed was that you would be better off just buying adult birds and releasing them the day or day before you hunt.

Wild birds also have more genetic diversity (study by MS State) and are much more likely to actually raise a brood. Pen reared hens are notorious for leaving the nest with the first chick that hatches and leaving the remainder of the chicks there hatching.

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:08 pm

I have a surrogator on one of my farms. I did my habitat work and now have 3 substantial coveys on my place that were not there prior to the surrogator. My neighbors have also been beneficiarys. I did no releases this past year. I wanted to see if it is just restocking, or if they are now established. If you don't want the used one that is for sale.PM me the location. I have another farm that I want to put one on.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 pm

mlittle wrote:I have a surrogator on one of my farms. I did my habitat work and now have 3 substantial coveys on my place that were not there prior to the surrogator. My neighbors have also been beneficiarys. I did no releases this past year. I wanted to see if it is just restocking, or if they are now established. If you don't want the used one that is for sale.PM me the location. I have another farm that I want to put one on.
PM Sent