cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Question for GSP'ers

Post by cjhills » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:45 am

I like Rip pups.

LarryLowell

Question for GSP'ers

Post by LarryLowell » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:03 am

Looking at the past unless we personally watched a dogs development and training, or are judging by production records, it to hard to breed backwards. I agree with TAK in that dogs should be improving with each generation, but that takes a breeder that has an open opinion on their breeding program. Most breeders are kennel blind or NFC blind.

Production records prove a stud dog. But what does it take to get a dog to that point ? How many hours of training ? How many years or competition ? How many trails per year ? Was that dig FF or natural retrieve ? Did that dog rip out birds every other trail ? Did that dog win because of a great scout ? There are so many different things to think about when selecting a stud. Best to best crossing is a short time plan, best to best linebreeding proves a dog/line.
Linebred, and inbred dogs carry a line. If your selecting an old stud to an existing linebred line off that stud IMO youll get better results. if your picking to just pick you'll get mix results.

Larry Lowell

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:56 am

LarryLowell wrote:Looking at the past unless we personally watched a dogs development and training, or are judging by production records, it to hard to breed backwards. I agree with TAK in that dogs should be improving with each generation, but that takes a breeder that has an open opinion on their breeding program. Most breeders are kennel blind or NFC blind.

Production records prove a stud dog. But what does it take to get a dog to that point ? How many hours of training ? How many years or competition ? How many trails per year ? Was that dig FF or natural retrieve ? Did that dog rip out birds every other trail ? Did that dog win because of a great scout ? There are so many different things to think about when selecting a stud. Best to best crossing is a short time plan, best to best linebreeding proves a dog/line.
Linebred, and inbred dogs carry a line. If your selecting an old stud to an existing linebred line off that stud IMO youll get better results. if your picking to just pick you'll get mix results.

Larry Lowell
Good post!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Retiredbirddogman wrote:What do GSP's know about the "Directs" line? What are your thoughts on Clown breeding? Produced a lot of great NSTRA dogs.
Directs is a very fine line

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm

cjhills wrote:I like Rip pups.
I still get calls for pups from people that had Rip pups! They are all getting very old now unless from frozen semen...But I like Rip pups too!!!!
brenda

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:44 pm

the original Slick

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 pm

I saw this dog and shot birds over this dog folks.................. #1 Gsp I've been around in my book ,Annie was a rock star!
snips wrote:I very much agree on these dogs.
Troy08er wrote:I never seen him run,but NFC NAFC FC AFC Beier's Evolution produced some great dogs. I like the way my gsp handles and he has some BE with FC Aces Prima Banane in it.

On motherline breedings, I would like one out of a FC AFC Evolution's Deliverance bitch.[/qu
ote]

That was a great cross. These dogs go to Blick. There were at least 15 FC offspring that came from that cross. We had one that was a point from her FC and Dewey Hicks just did not run her much....Evolutions Bad Banane (BA) was an incredible dog, and shes still up close in our pedigrees. Picture of her on our website under Important Dogs. That cross is twice behind the bitch I just bred, Izzy.
The stories I have heard from some of the old time dogs I am not sure if the dogs today are better...I heard stories from Pointer people of Johnny Merrill showing up at their pointer trials and kicking their butts, and this was in the west..... :?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Did not know u hunted over BA. I remember Rick running her from the truck in Az at Kendrick park and she was a dot on the treeline.
brenda

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Hunted wild birds with her in eastern washington and also watched her whip up on the comp at nstra trials here. Stan also had the last daughter of Damascus that I hunted with too. His most recent canine endeavor has been a GSP named " Buck naked".Have not seen that one but I've heard he's nice,he had a real nice dog by Rythem and blues also.
snips wrote:Did not know u hunted over BA. I remember Rick running her from the truck in Az at Kendrick park and she was a dot on the treeline.