Looking for a Stud

scmelik

Looking for a Stud

Post by scmelik » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:48 pm

I am hoping some of you can help me out a bit and in turn help a buddy of mine out. He is looking to breed her English Setter female and is in the process of looking for a stud. She is out of Whirlwind Sadie and Toby's Havelock Sunrise. He is looking for a male that has a fairly strong retrieving desire and a slightly weak nose. I know that sounds funny but this females nose is so strong that she will catch a sent from a very long ways and then takes forever to get to a position to make a good point, so he wants something with a bit weaker nose than her in order to try and balance things out a bit.

Do you setter guys have any suggestions on a decent male?
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Looking for a Stud

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:33 pm

That is the first time I have ever heard of a dog having too good of a nose. I would suggest that the actions you describe might be the result of a poor nose and she is having trouble locating the bird. More likely it is just the result of being overly cautious and very likely the result of too much correction as a young dog when she flushed a bird accidently. Will almost guarantee the problem is a result of her training.

I don't think you will find a dog with a poor nose but if you do how would they advertise the pups. "Pups for sale sired by a dog with a poor nose". Think I would look at correcting the problems of the female and look for a good dog that hunts the way they like to hunt to breed too. You might suggest it to them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:39 pm

ezzy333 wrote:That is the first time I have ever heard of a dog having too good of a nose. I would suggest that the actions you describe might be the result of a poor nose and she is having trouble locating the bird. More likely it is just the result of being overly cautious and very likely the result of too much correction as a young dog when she flushed a bird accidently. Will almost guarantee the problem is a result of her training.

I don't think you will find a dog with a poor nose but if you do how would they advertise the pups. "Pups for sale sired by a dog with a poor nose". Think I would look at correcting the problems of the female and look for a good dog that hunts the way they like to hunt to breed too. You might suggest it to them.

Ezzy
I would much rather have an excellent nose ...A dog that doesn't have a nose doesn't have any business to being in a breeding program for Bird dogs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:55 pm

scmelik wrote:I am hoping some of you can help me out a bit and in turn help a buddy of mine out. He is looking to breed her English Setter female and is in the process of looking for a stud. She is out of Whirlwind Sadie and Toby's Havelock Sunrise. He is looking for a male that has a fairly strong retrieving desire and a slightly weak nose. I know that sounds funny but this females nose is so strong that she will catch a sent from a very long ways and then takes forever to get to a position to make a good point, so he wants something with a bit weaker nose than her in order to try and balance things out a bit.

Do you setter guys have any suggestions on a decent male?
What if the pups inherit the weak nose instead of the strong nose? :roll: breeding doesnt always work out with total "balancing", genetics dont work that way..i would be looking for a male thats the very best example of the breed that will bring something to the line, not the opposite...jmo....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Breeding a female who is the very best shouldn't be overlooked either..........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:32 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Breeding a female who is the very best shouldn't be overlooked either..........
Absolutely right. I have no idea why the Stud dog seems to get so much more attention than the bitch.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 pm

So nice of y'all to keep this bumped until a "setter guy" shows up to read it. :mrgreen:
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm

This could also be a confidence issue. I would look for a dog that moves strongly and establishes hard and with authority.....and is seldom wrong. I agree...I don't think this is a nose issue.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Is there anyone on this site that would actually keep a dog with a weak nose. I definately wouldn't knowingly breed my dog to anything that already has a label of being weak in any trait. Breed strong. Train right.

joe

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:33 pm

First time for me also hearing of someone wanting a weak nose.I wouldn't feed a dog with a weak nose.A dog that'll point and stand their birds from a long distance is a Virtue that many would like to have in their dogs and don't.Sounds like someone could be a little lazy in the flushing effort.If she were mine I'd be looking for a stud with the same Mile Long nose to breed to.
Dog On Point!!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:28 am

Birddogz wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Breeding a female who is the very best shouldn't be overlooked either..........
Absolutely right. I have no idea why the Stud dog seems to get so much more attention than the bitch.
Only the stud dog is being mentioned here because the OP is looking for one :wink: .....ruth

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:30 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
Birddogz wrote:
Only the stud dog is being mentioned here because the OP is looking for one :wink: .....ruth

:roll:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:26 am

Breed the best to the best.....................................

Really makes no difference on paper, paper don't make the dog any better one way or the other. But looking for a dog with a "poor nose" just states a plain and simple fact........................your buddy ain't got no buisness trying to breed that dog.When a person goes looking to buy a new vehicle they don't look for the rig on the lot that has 3 big dents and a flat tire. :roll:

The only thing you told us is the negatives on the dog where it pertains to field work, but I'll bet her positives are "His wife/girlfriend loves the dog,kids love it,its got a GREAT personality yada yada yada.The field work you've described is all negative, obviously she doesn't retrieve,her nose is long and the owner can't handle it and she potters around with old scent/hot scent and running birds.

I'm going out on a limb and going to guess the dog is...........2-3 years old,hasn't had any if at all ,training. She's on the learn as you go,thrown in the pool sink or swim program. Or She's 7-8 years old and hasn't learned a danged thing with years of repeated exposure.

My reccomedation for a stud would be the vetrinarian for a clip job.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 am

Maybe instead of breeding, he could find a pup that he liked a lot from parents that had the traits he's looking for. Sounds like maybe that would be the best choice for this fellow. He's likely to get a pup exactly like mama dog. If that's not what he wants, he needs to find the right type for him.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:45 am

JKP wrote:This could also be a confidence issue. I would look for a dog that moves strongly and establishes hard and with authority.....and is seldom wrong. I agree...I don't think this is a nose issue.

BINGO! I think you nailed this one.

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 pm

okay guys I really appreciate the help but I think you misunderstood what I first said and I think I did a poor job explaining it. He is not looking for a dog with a poor nose, that is ridiculus to even consider he knows better than that as do I. What he said he wants is a dog where maybe its nose isn't its strongest attribute. We all know that every dog has its strong points and weak points, some dogs point very staunchly from the get go with little to know training on it just something they do, but maybe they don't work the field overly great. Some work the field great but their point is maybe just a bit weak or they retrieve well but they are very independent and could careless about the person working them. Whatever the case maybe not every dog is strong in every aspect of the game. So when I say he is looking for a dog that has a weaker nose what I mean is he is looking for a dog where its nose isn't its strongest attribute.

I will not get into the training issues on this dog because I don't know them but some people that I really trust say this dog has a nose that is so good its almost a fault and that there are many times where she points birds from too far away that it makes it impractical to even find the bird to shoot it.
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:30 pm

scmelik wrote:okay guys I really appreciate the help but I think you misunderstood what I first said and I think I did a poor job explaining it. He is not looking for a dog with a poor nose, that is ridiculus to even consider he knows better than that as do I. What he said he wants is a dog where maybe its nose isn't its strongest attribute. We all know that every dog has its strong points and weak points, some dogs point very staunchly from the get go with little to know training on it just something they do, but maybe they don't work the field overly great. Some work the field great but their point is maybe just a bit weak or they retrieve well but they are very independent and could careless about the person working them. Whatever the case maybe not every dog is strong in every aspect of the game. So when I say he is looking for a dog that has a weaker nose what I mean is he is looking for a dog where its nose isn't its strongest attribute.

I will not get into the training issues on this dog because I don't know them but some people that I really trust say this dog has a nose that is so good its almost a fault and that there are many times where she points birds from too far away that it makes it impractical to even find the bird to shoot it.
I have never heard of a dog that had such a good nose it was almost a fault because it points birds from too far away which makes it impractical to even find a bird to shoot ,but i am a newbee to the sport (only 8 years) so thats a first for me and i think no dog belongs in a breeding program without an excellent nose even after you rephrased your post i still think your friend should be seeking only the best attributes of the breed with no known weaknesses but that just my opinion..good luck...ruth

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:43 am

well, there's the problem. the same people that think having too good a nose is a fault are the same ones who are training her. :roll:

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 am

There are several things I think you are overlooking. Is his female even worthy of breeding? How are her hips and elbows did he have her ofa'd ? It sounds like she is not as bold of dog as your friend wants so why pass those traits on to pups? Unless your friend has thought about everything that goes along with breeding dogs I would suggest that he gets a puppy from a reputable breeder and call it good.
Birddog 307