Best state for bird hunting?

isonychia

Best state for bird hunting?

Post by isonychia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:26 pm

What is your opinion? I was going to make this a poll but I am too lazy at the moment to look up the state abbreviations I've forgotten. If you could move anywhere in the US for JUST upland bird hunting, where would it be? If you had to pick a state with compromise that had great hunting, but also the other things in life you love, like fly fishing and deer hunting. Where would this be? Through jobs and work into the second one. I have no idea where I would move... that is why I am asking you folks :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Best state for bird hunting?

Post by ACooper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Kansas hands down, probably more total game birds harvested yearly in KS than any other state.

Pheasants, quail (bobs and blue), also huntable populations of prairie chickens.

Kansas also has very good deer, turkey and waterfowl hunting.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Depends on the bird species, but the majority or birds I hunt are ruffed grouse and woodcock. For those two, you can't beat Michigan.

Modi

Post by Modi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:12 pm

Maine.

Grouse (Pah'tridge), woodcock, puddle ducks, sea ducks, stripers, tuna, deer, moose. Most everything a man needs.

Good seafood and beer too.

jstpnt1

Post by jstpnt1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

I like Kansas, but Montana is my favorite. Sharpies, Huns, Phez. Big enough country for a nice going pointing dog to move around in. Unbelievable scenery. Carrying a camera was almost as fun as carrying a gun.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Although i live in canada and would pick British Columbia for here, no doubt if i moved to the U.S i would pick Montana or back to my birthplace Florida, some of my best memories are of fishing there...ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Kansas or Nebraska. Beautiful country in both, but the Sandhills in NE are gorgeous. The Flint Hills in KS are great too. Phez, quail (two kinds in KS), turkey, big deer, Prairie Chickens.... great hunting and good people.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:19 pm

ACooper wrote:
Kansas hands down, probably more total game birds harvested yearly in KS than any other state.

Pheasants, quail (bobs and blue), also huntable populations of prairie chickens.

Here's the numbers I found for pheasant harvest for 2008 Kansas: 680,000 South Dakota : 1.9 mil
Kansas Quail 410,000

My vote is South Dakota with a pheasant harvest over 1 million above the next closest state plus an extremely nice Goose and duck flyway.
The out-of-state license fees are highway robbery.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Firemedic wrote:Depends on the bird species, but the majority or birds I hunt are ruffed grouse and woodcock. For those two, you can't beat Michigan.

I will put Louisiana up against any state for woodcock!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 am

northern cajun wrote:
Firemedic wrote:Depends on the bird species, but the majority or birds I hunt are ruffed grouse and woodcock. For those two, you can't beat Michigan.

Well, it looks like I have to kill more this year to prevent their migration to LA!!! hahaha

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:45 am

nikegundog wrote:ACooper wrote:

Here's the numbers I found for pheasant harvest for 2008 Kansas: 680,000 South Dakota : 1.9 mil
Kansas Quail 410,000

My vote is South Dakota with a pheasant harvest over 1 million above the next closest state plus an extremely nice Goose and duck flyway.
Why do you think the pheasant harvest was so much higher there?..we are going to south dakota this year for a hunt and im very excited to take our pup there..from what ive heard hunting isnt allowed in south dakota until like 10am which to me allows alot of time for the birds to spread out and leave nesting areas ect..do you think the difference in hunting times makes for more birds?..cant wait to go :D ...ruth

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:14 am

I have lived in KS and NE. Now I live in ND. ND by FAR! Phez, Huns, Sharpies, Ruffs, and the best Duck and Goose in the country. :wink:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
nikegundog wrote:ACooper wrote:

Kansas Quail 410,000

Why do you think the pheasant harvest was so much higher there?..
Great question, I've always heard that the harvest numbers in South Dakota are aided by released birds???

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:20 am

How would you all rate Colorado? the NW part.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:17 am

+1 on the bird species. It's Valley,Gambel quail and Chukar for me. While hunting in my area I have seen a covey of 300+ quail.I like the westside.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:15 am

Great question, I've always heard that the harvest numbers in South Dakota are aided by released birds???
The last figures I saw is releases birds accounted for about 4% of the population numbers in SD, I would imagine that percentage might hold true for other states as well.
Ruth, for the first 2 weeks of the season shooting time begins at noon, so bring a fishing pole, the walleye fishing is fantastic.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 am

My buddy has a picture he took while hunting in SD, picture was taken about midnight going back to camp from a bar, of a semi with a 53ft flat bed stacked several rows high with crates full of pheasants........ How many of those do you suppose count for the Million + birds killed there? Not trying to bust chops but you can find a game preserve anywhere, If I was going to move it would be Oklahoma or Kansas. Possibly west Texas. I would like to chase wild pheasants but its hard to beat an explosion of wild quail in my eyes.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:04 am

I lived in Lewistown MT for a few years, close to good pheasant hunting and can go up in the hills for some ruffed grouse. Thats probably my choice, MT. However, I have yet to hunt chuckar or quail,but hope to soon. But as of now, I love to hunt riffies and pheasants. Im sure there are places with more of each, but MT has it all IMO. Beautiful scenery, great fly fishing, all kinds of big game hunting, tough to beat IMO.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:My buddy has a picture he took while hunting in SD, picture was taken about midnight going back to camp from a bar, of a semi with a 53ft flat bed stacked several rows high with crates full of pheasants........ How many of those do you suppose count for the Million + birds killed there? Not trying to bust chops but you can find a game preserve anywhere, If I was going to move it would be Oklahoma or Kansas. Possibly west Texas. I would like to chase wild pheasants but its hard to beat an explosion of wild quail in my eyes.

Jim
There isn't many explosions of quail in Texas anymore. I've only hunted in Texas and Kansas, KS is my favorite but I can't wait to try SD, ND an NM.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:My buddy has a picture he took while hunting in SD, picture was taken about midnight going back to camp from a bar, of a semi with a 53ft flat bed stacked several rows high with crates full of pheasants........ How many of those do you suppose count for the Million + birds killed there? Not trying to bust chops but you can find a game preserve anywhere, If I was going to move it would be Oklahoma or Kansas. Possibly west Texas. I would like to chase wild pheasants but its hard to beat an explosion of wild quail in my eyes.

Jim
They may release some in SD, but I have lived and hunted in KS,NE. Hunted in IA,MO,MT,SD,ND. Now live in ND. ND and SD have FAR more birds than anywhere else. Not even close. I can take you for a 15 minute ride right now and show you 6-800 pheasants with ease. At this time of year, they are as depleted as they get. The Dakotas are the "real" deal. Then consider the Huns and sharpies numbers. After that consider the waterfowl hunting, and it really isn't close.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Lukenbill

Post by Lukenbill » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 am

I can't speak much on quail, but I definitely enjoy living here in MN. The population of Geese and Ducks are great throughout the state. The Northern half of the state has an unbelievable grouse population (at least the last couple of years, as their population is always cyclical). Then when you would like to do some pheasant hunting, the southwest part of the state is nice, or SD and ND are right next door!

As for SD pheasant hunting, the reason that I have found their population to be out of control is...that it has become SD's economy. They manage populations very well and the amount of land that is left in pasture vs farmed is what keeps their natural habitat able to sustain a large population. I've never been to ND for a pheasant hunt, but I've heard great things!

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am

Ohio, no comparison.....! :wink:

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

They may release some in SD, but I have lived and hunted in KS,NE. Hunted in IA,MO,MT,SD,ND. Now live in ND. ND and SD have FAR more birds than anywhere else. Not even close. I can take you for a 15 minute ride right now and show you 6-800 pheasants with ease. At this time of year, they are as depleted as they get. The Dakotas are the "real" deal. Then consider the Huns and sharpies numbers. After that consider the waterfowl hunting, and it really isn't close.
SD is the real deal for upland, ND going off harvest data is neck and neck with Kansas for pheasants, then with Kansas harvesting 450,000 quail I would have to give the edge to Kansas. If you add in waterfowl hunting ND would have to bow out completely, because while ND harvests about 388,000 ducks, places like Louisiana harvests 1.75 million. I live in MN and right now I can take a 15 minute drive and see pheasants by the hundreds, however we are talking about a state as a whole, not just a part of it.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am

I've been thinking about it, ND actually sucks. No birds anymore up here. :wink:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:47 am

Yes being neck and neck for second or third place is a disappointment, I will pray for you. :cry:

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:53 am

Looks like there are several great choices!

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Anywhere but here.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I've heard Colorado offers the most varied (If that's what you mean by best) bird hunting of most any state except HI
1) Ptarmigan - 2 types I believe ??
2) Spruce Grouse
3) Blue (Dusky) grouse
4) Ruff grouse
5) Sharptails
6) Pheasant
7) Huns
7+1) Blue (Scaled) quail
9) Bobwhite quail
10) Gamble quail
11) Dove
12) Snipe
13) Waterfowl (Ducks and Geese)

The list of game birds available in Hawaii is longer
Last edited by Gordon Guy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Gordon, you can add to that list prairie chickens, rail, crows, sandhill cranes, and turkey.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:29 pm

You have to define "Best" A person who has limited funds and hunts mostly public land may have a different opinion.
Tom

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Sounds like i need to move to montana....
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:51 pm

northern cajun wrote:

Cajun, are you sure those aren't mosquitoes you're shooting? :D

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:01 pm

jayhawkj wrote:
northern cajun wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:You have to define "Best" A person who has limited funds and hunts mostly public land may have a different opinion.
In that case, say I have limited funds and will hunt mostly public land, and say narrow it down between Colorado and Montana

outdoorman

Post by outdoorman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:57 pm

I have hunted my home state of Maine most, for Ruff grouse and woodcock, but now retired to north Georgia,very little birds of any kind,unless you hunt shooting preserves$$ or plantations$$$$$, anyway I like hunting grouse and woodcock most with my Llewellin setter, so I will more then likely travel north to Ohio or Pen-St or west to cajun country. any sugestions on what area of cajun country to hunt woodcock? and how about snakes? Lenny G.

horizon

Post by horizon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Hello
I live in South East South Dakota. I am five minutes from as many pheasants as I need. I am two hours from the Best Sharptail Hunting in the country. Same with Huns. One hour away Quail, hard to find, but they're here. As far as Ducks, and Geese I have to drive two hours for Real Waterfowl Hunting. And then there are walleyes one hour away. I Hunt all Wild Birds out here! There is no better Proving Ground for a Bird Dog.

www.horizonkennelsgsp.com

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Horizon, I can find the waterfall, walleye and pheasants but where do you head for the sharptails?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:29 pm

horizon wrote:Hello
I live in South East South Dakota. I am five minutes from as many pheasants as I need. I am two hours from the Best Sharptail Hunting in the country. Same with Huns. One hour away Quail, hard to find, but they're here. As far as Ducks, and Geese I have to drive two hours for Real Waterfowl Hunting. And then there are walleyes one hour away. I Hunt all Wild Birds out here! There is no better Proving Ground for a Bird Dog.

http://www.horizonkennelsgsp.com

So TRUE!! Especially the part about wild birds proving a bird dog. :wink:

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:10 pm

ACooper wrote:Kansas hands down, probably more total game birds harvested yearly in KS than any other state.

Kansas also has very good deer, turkey and waterfowl hunting.
I concur. :mrgreen: Most say Western Kansas.. However usually right, I shot FAR more pheasants within a 10 mile radius of my house here in Pretty Prairie (Southcentral KS) than we did out west this year. Our area here where I live and where my best friend lives (Turon KS) has some phenomenal pheasant hunting. Bobs are not quite as prevelant as the pheasants, but in very good numbers.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

reba

Post by reba » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:06 am

I now bird hunt California, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming and Oregon.

Is there enough great public bird hunting land to make a big loop through Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Kansas? I would be limited to the game seasons.

This would be a bird hunting odyssey. What other states would you hit west of the Mississippi? I like to hunt quail, chukar, huns and pheasant.

I’d like to meet and hunt with some of you as I drive through on this once in a lifetime odyssey.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:23 am

reba wrote:I now bird hunt California, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming and Oregon.

Is there enough great public bird hunting land to make a big loop through Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Kansas? I would be limited to the game seasons.

This would be a bird hunting odyssey. What other states would you hit west of the Mississippi? I like to hunt quail, chukar, huns and pheasant.

I’d like to meet and hunt with some of you as I drive through on this once in a lifetime odyssey.
Ok, so i'm not the only person out there with this idea huh?
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 am

If you plan on making the trip you would what to check on what states have hunting lotteries. South Dakota has outstanding duck and geese hunting but out of staters have to apply for a license through the lottery. I know guys who always seem to get the licenses so it may just be a formality but you have to apply in the Spring, I believe. Southern Minnesota has great pheasant, and duck hunting and when the timing is right maybe the best goose hunting in the country. Northern MN is full of grouse its annual harvest rate is 500,000 birds, its harvest numbers for grouse always puts it in the running for 1 place in the country, with Wisc. and Mich. completing for top three states. THREE MILLION ACRES OF PUBLIC HUNTING LAND.
Last edited by nikegundog on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:18 am

isonychia,
For me its the Quiet Mountains of North Central Pa, where we have a lot more than just bird hunting. Potter/Tioga County is still one seriously large wilderness, Grouse, Bear, Deer, Elk, and Pheasants with a serious part of the Woodcock fly way, great Fly Fishing for Trout, Bass and other fish, all right in my front yard, beautiful change of seasons and the Pa Grand Canyon with Pine Creek running thru it, old time mountains with no earth quakes ect. After leaving the US Military I could have picked any place in the US to live, I came back to the place where I was born, have my mountain log home up against the Tioga State Forest, on some payed off acreage of my own. Potter/Tioga County, Pa is Gods Country no doubt about it.
RGD/Dave

Pa Grand Canyon from Colton Point look out. If you leave Colton Point on the forest road traveling down off the mountain top you will eventually end up at our mountain home, no paved road required.

My own part of God Country

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:23 am

jayhawkj wrote:
northern cajun wrote:

Yes, I am pretty sure about that. The 127 shot over my dog would suggest they are as thick as the skeeters but a tad bigger and much tastier. Phenomenal season.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:31 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:isonychia,
For me its the Quiet Mountains of North Central Pa, where we have a lot more than just bird hunting. Potter/Tioga County is still one seriously large wilderness, Grouse, Bear, Deer, Elk, and Pheasants great Fly Fishing for Trout, Bass and other fish, all right in my front yard, beautiful change of seasons and the Pa Grand Canyon with Pine Creek running thru it, old time mountains with no earth quakes ect. After leaving the US Military I could have picked any place in the US to live, I came back to the place where I was born, have my mountain log home up against the Tioga State Forest, on some payed off acreage of my own. Potter County is Gods Country no doubt about it.
RGD/Dave

Pa Grand Canyon from Colton Point look out. If you leave Colton Point on the forest road traveling down off the mountain top you will eventually end up at our mountain home, no paved road required.

Ryman, i am definitely very jealous :wink: ...ruth

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:35 am

jayhawkj,
Having lived in Slidell La and hunted Woodcock over much of the state, I can tell you the Northern Cajun is absolutely correct, in fact I doubt there is another place on earth that has as many woodcock coverts as La.

Dundogs,
Ruth did you ever pick up the land you were trying to purchase up toward Elk Lake?

RGD/Dave

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:49 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:jayhawkj,
Having lived in Slidell La and hunted Woodcock over much of the state, I can tell you the Northern Cajun is absolutely correct, in fact I doubt there is another place on earth that has as many woodcock coverts as La.

Dundogs,
Ruth did you ever pick up the land you were trying to purchase up toward Elk Lake?

RGD/Dave
Yes we did thank you..im not sure which home/land you may be referring to since we had looked at about 6 and put offers in a few of them..Elk Lake is about 10 hours from me and our new home is 5 hours from there..there are people renting the home right now so we pretty much gave them a years notice that we will be moving in..theyve rented from the people we bought from for a few years and take good care of the house and land..we just closed on it (took a long time due to conditions) and we will be moving there next may 2012..i have 2 daughters graduating next year and going to college so we are waiting here until they graduate and move out like their older sister, then its just 2 girls left at home and 3 in away in college :D ..its going to be a bittersweet move :( :mrgreen: ...ruth

Modi

Post by Modi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:50 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:isonychia,
For me its the Quiet Mountains of North Central Pa, where we have a lot more than just bird hunting. Potter/Tioga County is still one seriously large wilderness, Grouse, Bear, Deer, Elk, and Pheasants with a serious part of the Woodcock fly way, great Fly Fishing for Trout, Bass and other fish, all right in my front yard, beautiful change of seasons and the Pa Grand Canyon with Pine Creek running thru it, old time mountains with no earth quakes ect. After leaving the US Military I could have picked any place in the US to live, I came back to the place where I was born, have my mountain log home up against the Tioga State Forest, on some payed off acreage of my own. Potter/Tioga County, Pa is Gods Country no doubt about it.
RGD/Dave

Did you say Elk? In PA?

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:06 am

Modi,
Yes we have Elk here in Pa, in fact a few of the very old Bulls were actually born on my land, when they were transplanted here from out west.
Hunting license is by lottery only and controlled very strictly by the PGC, Western Elk are a Pa big game animal. I love seeing one or two of the old bulls in Late January,
walking thru our 100' trees in the snow, the Pa Grand Canyon Snow Mobile Club took pictures two years ago, of the one large old Bull standing on my property. The old bull is just fantastic. I believe the picture is still on their web sight.
RGD/Dave

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:15 am

GunDogs,
Ruth congrats on the new homestead, hope everything goes as you have planned, having a place like you guys have purchased is like a dream come true,
all the hard work has finally payed off and now you own some serious land. Glad your purchase went thru! Welcome to a life of being able to train your bird dogs on wild Grouse, please post some pictures when you move in and start training.
RGD/Dave