Best state for bird hunting?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: Best state for bird hunting?

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Doesn't Nevada deserve a nod? Public land o plenty...Chukars, valley quail, huns, a smattering of mountain quail, prarie chickens, snow cocks, some grouse in the sierras, the ruby's and the pine forest...and all the nasty doves, ducks and geese you care to shoot. Miles of streams with wild trout, resevoirs, mule deer, huge elk, antelope, varmints, etc...Plus gambling and other salacious activities are legal. Ohhh and Birddogz and you other killers...NO PLUGS in your gun. Huh? Huh?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Doesn't Nevada deserve a nod? Public land o plenty...Chukars, valley quail, huns, a smattering of mountain quail, prarie chickens, snow cocks, some grouse in the sierras, the ruby's and the pine forest...and all the nasty doves, ducks and geese you care to shoot. Miles of streams with wild trout, resevoirs, mule deer, huge elk, antelope, varmints, etc...Plus gambling and other salacious activities are legal. Ohhh and Birddogz and you other killers...NO PLUGS in your gun. Huh? Huh?
If I was twenty again Nevada would get a nod, however I'm not twenty and can't afford the air ambulance that might be necessary to get me off that mountain midway through the hunt.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:35 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:GunDogs,
Ruth congrats on the new homestead, hope everything goes as you have planned, having a place like you guys have purchased is like a dream come true,
all the hard work has finally payed off and now you own some serious land. Glad your purchase went thru! Welcome to a life of being able to train your bird dogs on wild Grouse, please post some pictures when you move in and start training.
RGD/Dave
Thank you so much i appreciate it, i am VERY eager to be out of the "neighbourhood" and into the country and my kids and dogs will love it too..we are starting to build our kennel and coop there this summer, we are going to travel back and forth over the summer so when we move in they will be done..we are going up there next week to get permits ect for the kennel building so i will definitely take pics and post them..thanks again for the well wishes.....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Doesn't Nevada deserve a nod? Public land o plenty...Chukars, valley quail, huns, a smattering of mountain quail, prarie chickens, snow cocks, some grouse in the sierras, the ruby's and the pine forest...and all the nasty doves, ducks and geese you care to shoot. Miles of streams with wild trout, resevoirs, mule deer, huge elk, antelope, varmints, etc...Plus gambling and other salacious activities are legal. Ohhh and Birddogz and you other killers...NO PLUGS in your gun. Huh? Huh?

NO PLUGS!!! I'm moving!!!! :lol: :lol:

I will say this, I think the question should be by the month. ND in October is awful hard to beat. Phez,Huns,Sharpies,Ruffs, and OOOOODLES of waterfowl. Come December, it is phez only, with the exception of geese on the Missouri river under the Garrison dam. I would love to be in Nevada at that time of the year. Plus, Nevada has the Chicken ranch...Uh oh, did I say that out loud? :oops:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:56 am

I can't believe not one mention of Saskatchewan :?: I have never been but people talk of it like it is the game mecca of the world. I have hunted a small area named Glenn Ullin North Dakota, great pheasant, some sharpies, and a few Huns here and there.

setterbud

Post by setterbud » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:59 am

I have never been to SD, so I am going on what others have told me, it must be good cause they keep going back, the drawbacks, money license , plus pheasant tag plus paying 100 bucks a day for three pheasants. Talked to a guy in Kansas lst year, he had already gone to SD, problem there was he had his limit within a 1/2 hour. For me livig in Mo, KS is a lot closer $73 for license, and more free walk in hunting areas, plus for me i would rather shot at quail than pheasants

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:25 am

We go to summersville westvirginia every year for a family reunion, what beautiful country for hunting and fishing..definitely doing some fishing there with the kids again....and thanks for the tip on walleye in South Dakota nike, definitely will be bringin the poles :wink: .....ruth :D

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:22 am

pointshootretrieve wrote:I can't believe not one mention of Saskatchewan :?: I have never been but people talk of it like it is the game mecca of the world. I have hunted a small area named Glenn Ullin North Dakota, great pheasant, some sharpies, and a few Huns here and there.
It asks what STATE is best. Saskatchewan would win hands down. I have hunted there before. Best Hun hunting in the world. As good of Sharpie hunting as there is. Pretty decent pheasnts. INCREDIBLE Ruff hunting. The BEST waterfowl hunting in the northern hemisphere.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 am

If we're talking duck hunting its Mexico.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:46 am

In Mexico those birds have been shot at for months. In Saskatchewan they are still dumb. Thousands of mallards in every slough. Specs, snows, canadas, red heads, teal, Canvasbacks, etc. All have never been shot at that year, AND the MOST important part, they are fat and grain fed, and haven't flown 3000 miles. THey are the best eating of all ducks and geese I have ever tasted. Oh, the people speak English, and there are no cartels and kidnapping. :lol: It is also easier to take your dog and gun as well. :D

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 am

Birddogz wrote:In Mexico those birds have been shot at for months. In Saskatchewan they are still dumb. Thousands of mallards in every slough. Specs, snows, canadas, red heads, teal, Canvasbacks, etc. All have never been shot at that year, AND the MOST important part, they are fat and grain fed, and haven't flown 3000 miles. THey are the best eating of all ducks and geese I have ever tasted. Oh, the people speak English, and there are no cartels and kidnapping. :lol: It is also easier to take your dog and gun as well. :D
Ya we all speak english EH !! :lol: :lol: my husband has been to saskatchewan for waterfowl since he was a teenager and has always claimed its the best place on gods green earth....ruth :D

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I think a would rather deal with the cartels and kidnapping in Mexico than to take another drive across North Dakota to get to Saskatchewan.
I get to take that dreadful trip about four times a year because my in-laws live in Bottineu. :D

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:28 pm

How expensive is hunting in Sask.? License, lodging etc.? Just on average.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:52 pm

ElectricShorthairs wrote:How expensive is hunting in Sask.? License, lodging etc.? Just on average.
non resident is $113, canadian resident is $56 and sask. resident is $10..which is for waterfowl and upland and season is sept to dec i believe..lodging you can find for 40 bucks a night at some motels such as super 8 which is where my hubby stays usually.....ruth

edit: 40 bucks is his part with 3 guys its $120 a night with breakfast ect....

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:05 pm

BirdDogZ,
Saskat is not part of the USA, no matter how it would like to be, got to admit if it were, it would be right up there as a definate choice for a place to relocate.
The oringinal post asks for a place anywhere in the US.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:isonychia,
For me its the Quiet Mountains of North Central Pa, where we have a lot more than just bird hunting. Potter/Tioga County is still one seriously large wilderness, Grouse, Bear, Deer, Elk, and Pheasants with a serious part of the Woodcock fly way, great Fly Fishing for Trout, Bass and other fish, all right in my front yard, beautiful change of seasons and the Pa Grand Canyon with Pine Creek running thru it, old time mountains with no earth quakes ect. After leaving the US Military I could have picked any place in the US to live, I came back to the place where I was born, have my mountain log home up against the Tioga State Forest, on some payed off acreage of my own. Potter/Tioga County, Pa is Gods Country no doubt about it.
RGD/Dave

Pa Grand Canyon from Colton Point look out. If you leave Colton Point on the forest road traveling down off the mountain top you will eventually end up at our mountain home, no paved road required.

My own part of God Country

RGD,
I have seen that view many times! I usually see it from across the gorge from Bradley Wales though. My family has a camp in Cedar Run, 100 yds from the piney! Good to see someone else here from PA!

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 am

isonychia wrote:
Gordon Guy wrote:You have to define "Best" A person who has limited funds and hunts mostly public land may have a different opinion.
In that case, say I have limited funds and will hunt mostly public land, and say narrow it down between Colorado and Montana
Of the two... I would choose Montana. However, many of the landowners there have realized they can get people to pay for access and is becoming a lot like South Dakota as far as private land is concerned. One place near Lewistown charged $250 per day per gun. Too much for me. Montana does have a program (Block Management) that allows for public access to private lands. The state may have several hundred thousand acres enrolled but due to the size of the ranches there, several hundred thousand acres could equal 40 ranches across the state and Montana is a big state. When I was there most of the land that I visited was grazed to the point that my front lawn had more cover. Being from ND where there's more land open to public hunting then one could hunt in a life time I was not impressed. I think the Block management program is more suited to big game hunters than bird hunters.

I've never hunted Colorado but have spent some time driving around the eastern part and I saw plenty of no tresspassing signs.

If you can find a job there and stand the cold winters and mosquitoe filled summers I would choose North Dakota.
Tom

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:46 am

Best economy in the U.S. Booming! Cold winters for SURE!!!! :D

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:01 am

Birddogz wrote:Best economy in the U.S. Booming! Cold winters for SURE!!!! :D

I used to live in Stanley and Bottineau, definately good hunting. At that time, down in southern ND, the pheasant hunting was just as good as SD, but didnt have pay an arm and a leg to hunt on private land. They are starting to follow SD lead now, at least at the places we hunted.

outdoorman

Post by outdoorman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:44 pm

I agree,western and northern Maine has very good Grouse and woodcock hunting, if you go late October the leaves are mostly off the trees and birds are much easer to see when Flushed, unless your a meat hunter and shoot them on tghe ground.

captainshotgun

Post by captainshotgun » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Myself & one of Birddogz doctor buddies drove out from OH & hunted MO, KS, NE, & SD, in one 16 day trip. Bought a one day permit in MO & both of us limited on phez in one 90 A field. Quail only in KS. Quail, phez, PC, sharps, & saw some huns in NE, all on one ranch. Limited on Phez in SD each day of a 4 day hunt. I liked NE the best.
JWP58 wrote:
reba wrote:I now bird hunt California, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming and Oregon.

Is there enough great public bird hunting land to make a big loop through Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Kansas? I would be limited to the game seasons.

This would be a bird hunting odyssey. What other states would you hit west of the Mississippi? I like to hunt quail, chukar, huns and pheasant.

I’d like to meet and hunt with some of you as I drive through on this once in a lifetime odyssey.
Ok, so i'm not the only person out there with this idea huh?