Does beeper collar spook game?

gripper39

Does beeper collar spook game?

Post by gripper39 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:48 am

I was just wondering if anybody has seen a beeper collar spook birds? I just got one about a month ago and love it but it seems like some people think it spooks birds away others think it spooks birds into holding tight. Just a question Ive been wondering about.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Does beeper collar spook game?

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 am

I think there are times when it will cause a bird to run/flush but i also think it keeps some of the birds pinned..pheasants are spooked easily enough anyway..what i wonder too is does the sound of beeper switching from running to pointing mode influence a dog to break point if he associates the sound with birds moving?.(sound association)...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 am

I have never noted any issues and I use them quite a bit when pheasant hunting. I do run mine on point mode only though.

Elias

Post by Elias » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 pm

i run it on my dogs in point mode only....i noticed lately on quails that it does make the quails to run but not flush..... woodcocks it didn't matter to them. pheaseants i have no idea.... wild chukars will flush immediately when they hear the sound.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:48 pm

I've never noticed whether it bothers quail or not, it may make them run a little but not much, I think it effects pheasant A LOT. Any noise and they kick it in gear and are gone.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Don't use them on pheasants. Buy a Garmin Astro and call it good. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm

I don't know if I would ever find my dog with out one, especially on woodcock. Usually it's on run mode & I've never seen a problem with them. I've used them on S.D. pheasants, Ohio woodcock, & Michigan grouse. I wish I could use one in NSTRA trials, as my dog has been lost by judges more times than I care for.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:07 pm

If you had an Astro, you would never lose your dog. I know that they are pricey, but they are the fantastic.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Birddogz wrote:If you had an Astro, you would never lose your dog. I know that they are pricey, but they are the fantastic.
The question is, do you buy the best currently available or do you wait a couples of years for Dogsport to add competition and potentially new features to the market?

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 pm

Birddogz wrote:If you had an Astro, you would never lose your dog. I know that they are pricey, but they are the fantastic.
You won't lose him, but how do hunt a thick woodcock stand, with a Garmin, when the dog is out of bell range? I use a beeper so I can follow the sound (run mode) & keep up with the dog. Most of the time I'm fighting through the brush with my hands while getting poked in the eyes by branches. I don't see how I could watch that & navigate the brush at the same time. I guess I could see using one in an open field, but then why watch that & miss the hunt?

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:32 pm

I use mine as a locator more than anything, once i get their direction i flick it back off. Never seem to effect quail or pheasant ,Seen more grouse blow out than anything.Woodcock never

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:53 am

I use them all the time and I think sometimes they do spook and then other times they do not. I think if a bird has lived to hear the beeper a second time{shot at} they may be more likely to spook. Because of that, covey birds may spook easier because there are survivors from the last time they heard the beeper. It also comes down to pressure. If you are hunting S.D. walkins the 4th week in the season it is safe to assume the birds have heard truck doors and beepers. Stealth is the plan then. I have shot many wild roosters that ran away from the beeper and point. At that time I will take a short break for maybe 4-5 minutes and continue the pursuit with the beeper off. The dog will be tracking at this time and easy to keep up with. Just pulling a fast one on the bird.
But if you really have doubts just go plant a chuckar or quail for your dog {not sleeping} and use the beeper and when the dog goes on point and the beeper goes off watch that bird hunker down. :wink:

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Ohio V,
The Astro updates every 10 seconds or so. It beeps you when your dog goes on point. It is very easy to use.