What would you choose.....Male or Female?

ChukarCountry

What would you choose.....Male or Female?

Post by ChukarCountry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:57 pm

If the breeding of your dreams came up and you had the opportunity to pick one puppy for your breeding program, what would you pick male or female and why?
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com
A website that is in the works for my gundogs

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: What would you choose.....Male or Female?

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:02 pm

For that dog's individual performance I would not pick by sex, rather charateristics and chemistry. For breeding, I would choose the male as the opportunity for breeding frequency, variety and selection is greater.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:04 pm

I already have a female... when she has pups I will keep a male. No going into season during trials,

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:12 pm

Female. It is a lot easier to find someone to breed to your female and options are more wide open when searching for a comparable male to breed to than when looking for a comparable female.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:18 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Female. It is a lot easier to find someone to breed to your female and options are more wide open when searching for a comparable male to breed to than when looking for a comparable female.
Clearly correct. The key words in the originai question were pick one puppy for your breeding program.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:01 pm

If the puppy is for a breeding program a female gives you chance to breed to the top males of your breed ,also you have a chance to observe all of the puppies from each breeding.
If you have a male most likely the people with top bitches will not be lining up to breed because each owner will have different ideas of what they want.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:18 pm

Given the parameter of a perfect pedigree breeding, a male. You can go back to him for decades.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 pm

by Steve007
Clearly correct. The key words in the originai question were pick one puppy for your breeding program
Clearly correct? No opinion? Huh, Mr Bond it appears you have been shaken not stirred...that's kinda corny not my best effort :oops:

As CC pointed out females have a shelf life and while males do with AI you can maintain it much longer if it turns out to produce. I also believe that with a male you can try different combos by acquiring females and see the results much quicker, 2 or 3 litter per year in your own kennel while a female could really only produce 1. While I believe that a Blue Hen is a precious thing and vitally important to quality, how many can you rattle off the top of your head in your given breed of choice v. the top producing stud dogs?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 pm

I say female. It is close, but I believe that there are always GREAT studs available, and the blue hens are in very short supply.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:31 pm

Birddogz wrote:I say female. It is close, but I believe that there are always GREAT studs available, and the blue hens are in very short supply.
Most "blue hens" are recognized after the fact. I'd say it would take at least three different nicks and grown out on those pups before you could qualify an outstanding dam.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.