Dog picture taking

markj
GDF Junkie

Dog picture taking

Post by markj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Hello all, I see some great dog pics, now that my son is able to take a pic and not mess it up. I was wanting to do some of my own, do you plant a bird for a point type pic? or just use whoa? or is there soneone that is a pro photographer that helps pose the dog and snaps the pic?

I took a camera with me hunting, dog went on point, I juggled the shotgun and camera, almost shot my foot (with the camera) and missed both the shot and a shot at the bird. :( so I am thinking to have my son do the camera work.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog picture taking

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:25 pm

The ideal situation for pics of dogs on point is training. Just take 300-500 pics to get a dozen or so good ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:59 pm

Temecula? I have a cousin lives out there. Is that field close to you or do you have to travel a little bit? I like the way your avatar pic looks, ow if I could get mine to stand still like that :)
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:11 pm

That pic is out in california city. all the field trials and hunt tests were rained out so her trainer went to cal city where the weather was good.

We do have a really nice hunt club / training area 45 min away in anza.

I cheat and use a NIKON D60 with some 1500$ lenses for the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:13 pm

markj wrote:o you plant a bird for a point type pic? or just use whoa? or is there soneone that is a pro photographer that helps pose the dog and snaps the pic?
Mark when I first got into birddogs I was bumbling around with the camera and screwed many dogs up. Now what I do is still carry a nice pocket sized digital and when the opportunity presents itself I use it. Best is to use it on dogs that are at least steady to flush. I always take picts when they are on birds. MUCH more intensity. Key to good picts is to have the sun hitting them on the side you are taking or in their face (especially with liver/dark dogs). The BEST way to do it is to lay on the ground in front of them (if their head is 12 oclock, lay around 1-2 oclock or 10/11 oclock) and shoot up to the dog. My avatar was done this way.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:03 pm

If you want a picture of your pride and joy bird dog pointing a bird you already knew was there because you put it there by all means take pictures on set ups. :wink: :lol: Personally those shots do nothing for me and certainly wouldn't grace my walls. I could certainly come up with studio quality shots everytime doing setups but I'll take a crappy, grainy off the cuff, thinking on my feet, testing my photo skills, hunting shot testing the dog with great memories attached to it on my wall everytime over a posed up set up that means nothing regarding the dog or the photog skills. But that's me, individual mileage will vary! :lol:

I shoot all my photos of my dogs out hunting, occasionally/rarely I'll shoot some out training (which is all wild birds as well) but generally if I'm training, I'm training - screwing around with a camera doesn't usually make for good training where timing is everything IMO.

My advice/personal practice - take your camera, whatever kind it may be, hunting, sacrfice some shots from your gun at birds for shots from your camera to capture memories for your albums or on your walls! :D

Last edited by DGFavor on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:07 pm

+1 On what DGFaver said!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:25 pm

DGFavor wrote:If you want a picture of your pride and joy bird dog pointing a bird you already knew was there because you put it there by all means take pictures on set ups. :wink: :lol: Personally those shots do nothing for me and certainly wouldn't grace my walls. I could certainly come up with studio quality shots everytime doing setups but I'll take a crappy, grainy off the cuff, thinking on my feet, testing my photo skills, hunting shot testing the dog with great memories attached to it on my wall everytime over a posed up set up that means nothing regarding the dog or the photog skills. But that's me, individual mileage will vary! :lol:

I shoot all my photos of my dogs out hunting, occasionally/rarely I'll shoot some out training (which is all wild birds as well) but generally if I'm training, I'm training - screwing around with a camera doesn't usually make for good training where timing is everything IMO.

My advice/personal practice - take your camera, whatever kind it may be, hunting, sacrfice some shots from your gun at birds for shots from your camera to capture memories for your albums or on your walls! :D

Agree 100%
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Thank you all, them are some fine pictures there. I do have a bunch of pics taken while hunting, left the gun at home, but they just dont have the same visual effect. I will have another go at it.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:54 pm

I will have to agree with DGFavor almost completely except that I do it a bit backwards of him. I train on and hunt all wild birds as well. Pheasant and quail. I leave the camera at home when hunting and bring it out with me while training and that is when I take my pics. I will however have to remember the tip that PntrRookie gave out about laying on the ground and shooting up at the dog. Here are a few of mine while training on pheasant and while hunting quail this year. I made a walk around of my Reb dog while he held on point and I snapped some pics.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Nice looking dogs Tommy, and DARN nice looking CRP!!! That looks like phez central. :lol:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 pm

DGFavor wrote:If you want a picture of your pride and joy bird dog pointing a bird you already knew was there because you put it there by all means take pictures on set ups. :wink: :lol: Personally those shots do nothing for me and certainly wouldn't grace my walls. I could certainly come up with studio quality shots everytime doing setups but I'll take a crappy, grainy off the cuff, thinking on my feet, testing my photo skills, hunting shot testing the dog with great memories attached to it on my wall everytime over a posed up set up that means nothing regarding the dog or the photog skills. But that's me, individual mileage will vary! :lol:

Doug, I always enjoy looking at your awesome pics.Thanks
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 pm

Tommy,

Looks like that Orange & White dog cracks her tail alot.. Seening the tip of it a little bloody. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

The master has spoken.............Hi Doc

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:09 am

Thanks Birddogz that is one of my honey holes and it holds good numbers of phez as long as there are no crops planted in the neighboring fields.

Jess that is a normal phenomena for her. She is always bloodying up her tail tip running through yucca and brush. She is pretty to watch run. You'll see when you get that little male pup out running. Pups are all starting to open their eyes now. Give me a couple of more days for all of them to get their eyes completely open and I will send you some more pics.

Quill Gordon

Post by Quill Gordon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 am

Trial and error. I agree with the Doc that you can really screw up training messin around with a camera but me personally I can't help myself so I allow for a margin of error. Meat dog ya know

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:53 am

:lol: :lol: I take the occasional training pic but only if I gots me a trustworthy enforcer to manage the hounds while I'm screwing off!! If you've ever seen my hounds in action, you know they run the ragged edge of being trained just enough to get by...sometimes!! :lol: :lol:

I like the haphazard, shoot on the fly, take what you get photos out huntin' way mo' betta':

The master has spoken.............Hi Doc
:lol: :lol: Everyone's a comedian!!

Modi

Post by Modi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:27 am

Great pictures everyone. It is hard to get dog pics in the thick covers we hunt for grouse and woodcock in NE, and we NEVER get the scenic vista shots while hunting. Fun to see your covers.

May I piggyback on this thread and ask if there is a trick to posting pics? I can't seem to attach them as they are all over 1 meg.

Thanks,

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:31 am

What kind of gear do you use for those wonderful pics Doug?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Thanks Birddogz that is one of my honey holes and it holds good numbers of phez as long as there are no crops planted in the neighboring fields.

Jess that is a normal phenomena for her. She is always bloodying up her tail tip running through yucca and brush. She is pretty to watch run. You'll see when you get that little male pup out running. Pups are all starting to open their eyes now. Give me a couple of more days for all of them to get their eyes completely open and I will send you some more pics.
Cool! I shipped your supplies out today. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:06 am

Modi wrote:
May I piggyback on this thread and ask if there is a trick to posting pics? I can't seem to attach them as they are all over 1 meg.

Thanks,
upload them to a site like photobucket.com or the like, then just link to them in your post.....

I think there maybe a tutorial on the help section or do a search if ya need more info. If all else fails Pm me and I will write it all out for ya.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:02 pm

OK so which one o fyou wants to come over and take some pics? I will feed you up real fine for sure :) rib eyes or bar b que them are some very nice shots.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Love seeing everyone's pics!

Mark, if I went westward, I'd have a hard time not swiping that new pup of yours. :D

I'd prefer to always do wild birds, but we've got some heavy cover in my neck of the woods, that doesn't always make for a striking photo. So yes, I have planted birds before.

I use to try for training photos & video, but that caused a husband/wife tiff last year. Something didn't go quite right, launcher didn't launch on first button push or something. It was automatically my fault, because I had a video camera in my other hand. I tossed the Sony handycam like 50', and had to go looking for it a few minutes later. :wink: I give it two thumbs up on durability! (Although I threw it like a girl anyway, so as to not hurt it.) I got a GoPro POV hat camera now, so hopefully problem solved...well that one anyway. :lol:

My dog on point on wild birds. :x
Image Image

A couple photos where I cheated.

The clickable link below is from a small munsterlander fun hunt that I volunteered to shoot this past weekend. Thank goodness for digital and not having to pay for film & developing, cause I instantly deleted about 3/4 of my shots. After 6-7 hours walking for 2 days, I got a few keepers, and many where I wondered how the heck I could mess up such a simple shot. It was good practice though...

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:35 pm

by wems2371
It was automatically my fault, because I had a video camera in my other hand. I tossed the Sony handycam like 50', and had to go looking for it a few minutes later
Is it possible to ask for a written recap of the dialog that accompanied this event, punctuation included of course?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm

It was last year, but I think when I let the handycam fly, I might have let an f-bomb fly too. :D

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Mark, if I went westward, I'd have a hard time not swiping that new pup of yours.
She will be here wensday :) cant wait. The anticipation is killing me and the fact my son wants to look at all the pics on this here site :) and asks when will she be here?

I was given a new video camera for Christmas and am firureing it out. Nothing at all like the 35 mms I used to have. My son gets the image in the box perfectly every time so I may just have him do the film stuff. Not very artistic here....

Lots of new pics for him to look over tonite. I gotta scrap a pickup and run it over the scales tomorrow. It will keep him busy, wifes class at college is graduating and she has to be there for them students. Just me and the boy tonite. and a slab of ribs....
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Easier said than done on the east coast in some of the covert we hunt! Here's one of my favorite shot of one my setters pointing a woodcock

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:47 pm

DG if I had helpers like yours my wife would make me sell my dogs and give up bird hunting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Not the best pic of the dog, but I LOVE this photo...
wems2371 wrote:Image
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:47 am

Easier said than done on the east coast in some of the covert we hunt!
:lol: :lol: Yah, definitely easier in open country. I always try to get the dog's eye in sharp focus seems to really give life and clarity to the pics.

A little depth of field practice with your lenses and it's pretty easy to get 'em in focus even buried up good in the brush, or even thru the brush. This was manually focused from the safety of my drift boat about 75yds away, 300mm lens.

Here's a couple from a recent field trial - pen birds, trained dogs, and good morning light, was like shooting fish in a barrel!! :D

I took these the same day but took more vision, thought, and planning (set-ups if you will!! :wink: :lol: ):

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:43 am

Awesome pics as usual Doug.
You sure ruin it for us point and shoot flunkies? I've been running video a lot more than stills lately. I thought that would be more impressive, but it just shows how crappy the dogs really are.
[imgImage][/img]
[imgImage][/img]
]Image

Grange

Post by Grange » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:50 am

I try to always bring my camera with me when I'm hunting or training. I don't worry about taking some extra time snapping a picture of my setter on point especially on grouse and woodcock, because I know she won't move once on point and she does a good job on pinning. The biggest thing I found was my old camera had a decent zoom (12X) so I could approach beyond the point to not spook the bird and still get a decent shot. Here are a few pictures. Most of these are taken while at full zoom.

This was after the flush and shot.

It helps when your bag limit is filled so you can just follow a fellow hunting partner with your camera.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 am

displaced_texan wrote:Not the best pic of the dog, but I LOVE this photo...
wems2371 wrote:Image

sometimes an out of focus picture looks really cool, here's one i took and liked because of his eye.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Dg,

You gave me some good ideas with your pics. Great job!

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Doug

Your dangerous with a camera.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN