How do you know when its time?

Georgia Hunter

How do you know when its time?

Post by Georgia Hunter » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:49 pm

How do you know when its time to put your dog down? My dog is 15 and some days she does ok some days not so much. Today is one of those not so great days and Im starting to wonder if its time or not. She is 15 and Ive had her since I was 5 so I kinda dont want to to be honest cause she was one of my first 2 dogs (the other her brother is gone from cancer) She has been one of the best dogs Ive ever had

Her eyesight and hearing seem to be going. Her hips are stiff somedays and its hard for her to stand. Lately shes had a little trouble eating or wont eat at all one day and eat the next. Her bark is pretty much gone she is so old. Sometimes when she eats she like coughs it up and its this foamy food mix and she just eats it but again sometimes that doesnt happen. When I go outside to play with her and my new dog I will throw a ball for her and she does chase it as best she can. I dont want to have to put her down but I dont want her to suffer either. Honestly we thought she wouldnt make it through the winter but somehow she did. Any thoughts?

I know it all sounds pretty bad but again somedays are better than others and its pretty tough puttin down a dog especially since shes been with me for so long

displaced_texan

Re: How do you know when its time?

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 pm

As long as a dog seems happy, and not in major pain, I wouldn't consider it.

My folks have a dog that is 17, they have had her since we were kids. Yeah, she's slowed way down, but she's healthy and generally still happy to be part of the family. Especially if you have food :D She is on some sort of pain meds (not sure, whatever their vet told em) for her hips, and is the same way with eating/not eating. She's starting to have some bladder control issues, nothing major.

I guess I'm saying if the dog doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain, or generally unhappy keep him around.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:10 pm

It's the day she won't get up. I've never had a dog put down, but the day they won't, not can't, WON'T, is the day they are ready to let go. The last one was the dog that brought me into the breed. He lived with me from age 11~1/2 until he died nearly four years later. He raised up his last morning, let out a long breath and laid back down. He faded slowly throughout the day and left us in the early evening. He showed no signs of distress and simply ceased to be alive.

The things I have read of others' experiences seem to suggest that when a dog no longer enjoys eating and playing and becomes indifferent to attention or is in obvious pain it is time to take action. Some dogs will not let go.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:21 am

My buddy's lab was very old and in poor health, so he took it to the vet to either get him better or send him to doggie heaven. He loaded him up and when he got to the vet the dog had pasted. When it's time, it's time. That not eating to me means it's getting close. I've decided I'm going to cremate all my dogs and bury them with me when I go. I hope I have a full casket.

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:26 am

You will know when it is time.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:28 am

There will be that day when you look at her and there will be that brick that hits your heart and stomach knowing it is time :cry:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:37 am

Redfishkilla wrote:My buddy's lab was very old and in poor health, so he took it to the vet to either get him better or send him to doggie heaven. He loaded him up and when he got to the vet the dog had pasted. When it's time, it's time. That not eating to me means it's getting close. I've decided I'm going to cremate all my dogs and bury them with me when I go. I hope I have a full casket.
I cremate all of my dogs. I take a little of each dog, and put them in film cannisters, and put them in my hunting vest. When I have had a good day in the field and the sun is going down, I sprinkle a little on the ground. My dogs are in 11 states I believe, all in beautiful places where birds abound. There are many times when I am sprinkling ashes that my vision will become blurry. :cry: I can be such a wuss. :lol:

As long as the dog is happy, I would let the dog continue to live. I would squeeze every drop out of their life.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

apachecadillac

Post by apachecadillac » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:04 pm

I wish i could offer advice as confidentally as some of the other posters. All I can add, from a much different perspective, is that the worst mistake I have ever made as a dog owner was making our last Brittany live the last 4-6 months of her life. The phobia we have of acting too early is completely understandable. But if you wait too long, afterwards you have to live with that, too.

Old dogs are wonderful. They make wonderful companions and they can have a wonderful quality of life. So what if they've slowed down--they are in decline, and I, for one, can live with deafness, blindness, incontinence, etc. But eventually there is a point of inflection in the decline curve and it all goes to heck. My mistake was riding that decline too far past that point and subjecting my old girl to a pretty miserable final months of life. I don't ever want to make that mistake again.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:57 pm

I think you will know when your dogs quality of life has gone..i agree with the person who said dont let them linger on or there will be regrets later..if a dog gets to the point where you know if it could talk it would say "let me go" than its time..dogs become a part of our family and the thought of being without them is very sad, they listen to our problems without giving an opinion, they lick our faces when theres tears and are always glad to see us and spend time with us..some people dont give to us the unconditional love that our dogs give..prayers are with you and your buddy, memories live forever so hang on to them tightly and always with a smile.......ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:06 pm

I could have happily gone all day without opening this post. I am on a couple of dog forums. Everybody says "the dog will tell you". But only if you know the dog, and can read the signs. There is nothing easy about it. Rags, my first ESS was 17 years old, mostly blind, mostly deaf, leaked, no teeth, and fell over and needed help to get up. He probably could have gone another few months, but he just started looking tired and unhappy. He couldn't do what he was born to do.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:27 am

I'd agree with the previous post of when they can't get up. I'll also agree with the previous poster regarding letting them linger past the time - it's pretty emotionally painful. That was my situation also.

You'll know it's time (or past the time) when you have to stoop to slinging a towel around her stomach to hold up her rear as you lead her outside to go to the bathroom by telling yourself "she'll be better tomorrow, just you wait and see" all the while knowing deep down who are you really fooling. You'll talk to God by asking him for more time for your best friend. Then you'll start to dread walking down the stairs in the morning wondering if she made it through the night. Then you'll start to pray if he would just take her so you wouldn't have to make that decision to go to the Vet.

You'll know it's time as you look deep in her eyes and the light in them just isn't quite the same. Then the realization will hit you that she's just holding out because you want her to. That's the time when you pull out your sleeping bag, put it on the floor, grab your best friend close, hold her tight, cry because your slowly dying inside, knowing this is the last night she'll have on this earth and that you'll be making that final call to the Vet's office in the morning.

Know that when the time comes, we've been in your shoes and it'll hurt like H!ll. But "remember her with smiles & laughter, for that's how she'll remember you all. If you remember her with tears, don't remember her a'tall".
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:45 am

Ironically I'm in the same position right now as the original poster.

This link provides some things to ponder, some of which have already been mentioned.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/grief_support ... t_down.htm

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:19 am

Ladies & Gentlemen,
Always remember you the owner/companion have the responsibility to make sure your dog is not suffering, the dog will tell you when its time, each and every one of mine has, your responsibility is to read the signs your animal is sending you, and have the guts to make sure your companion passes into the next life in an honorable manner.
With ownership comes responsibility, your companion has given you unconditional love all his life, now you must own up to the responsibilty that God charged you with by granting you one of his creations. I was taught that God lends man his dogs to show man kind what unconditional love really is, and in doing so he has charged man kind with an ausome responsiblity.
Freedom to own one of Gods dogs comes with great responsibility, may we all understand it.
RGD/Dave

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:05 pm

The day I picked up the retrieving dummy and my lab did not get up, I knew it was time. His body had been going for a while and I knew it was getting close, but he still looked happy and had that gleam in his eye. When he didn't want his dummy my heart sunk, I sat down on the floor next to him for 4 hours before I moved, praying the next morning he would be back to normal, when he wasn't I made the call to the vet.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:16 pm

As most have said here, I can confirm... You will know when it is time. The dog will tell you.

It is almost always when then cannot get up on their own. The dog looks at you different and you HAVE to help. Worst thing to do is lose an old friend like that, but then, worse than that, is to have them to live and be in constant pain.

Remember good dogs are NEVER forgotten.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

Georgia Hunter

Post by Georgia Hunter » Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 am

I think it may be time for her.... I was checking all our dogs for ticks today and she fell on the kitchen floor when I went to check her. I found some sores she licks on her legs. And I found a big sore that was all callused and hard on her elbow that my mom thought may be cancer or a tumor. She hasnt been eating to much the past couple days either...... Dont want to but it may be time after 15 years :( I thought she was starting to get a little better the other week but now this. I didnt even know about the sores cause of all the hair in the way til today. I feel bad that I didnt know. And now looking back I wish I had spent more time with her, its hard when your a teenager and have a job and school and everything to go spend time with them and now I feel bad about all the time I had that I didnt spend with her

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 03, 2011 11:22 am

Spend the day love on her do what ever makes you feel better and Our hearts are with you as no matter what you do letting go is never easy Just remember her doing what she loved to do running and being free of pain and the ailments that are affecting her now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 am

Georgia Hunter wrote:I think it may be time for her.... I was checking all our dogs for ticks today and she fell on the kitchen floor when I went to check her. I found some sores she licks on her legs. And I found a big sore that was all callused and hard on her elbow that my mom thought may be cancer or a tumor. She hasnt been eating to much the past couple days either...... Dont want to but it may be time after 15 years :( I thought she was starting to get a little better the other week but now this. I didnt even know about the sores cause of all the hair in the way til today. I feel bad that I didnt know. And now looking back I wish I had spent more time with her, its hard when your a teenager and have a job and school and everything to go spend time with them and now I feel bad about all the time I had that I didnt spend with her
Georgia Hunter, so sorry for your sadness and the decision you must face, but you cannot change the past, you cannot regret living your life and going to school, work ect..she wouldnt want you to be sad about the last 15 years, she would want you to celebrate the time you were able to have together..we all have lives to live and we do the best we can with what we have, have your moment that you need with her and tell her everything that you want to tell her and be glad you were blessed with such a wonderful dog as im sure she already knows she was blessed to have you :D .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 03, 2011 2:49 pm

I have a 13 year old who is blind and deaf. Metacam for pain in joints keeps him active.
I've thought about "that day". If he can't get up , loses the use of his hind end, kidney failure etc. I'll put him down.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Tue May 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Thier is no right or wrong answer, I had a 14 yr old gsp that passed on this last feb. Every year for the last couple I would say she wasnt going to make it thru the cold midwest winter and every spring thier she was. She had really slowed down and her hearing was pretty much shot but I can tell you if you let her out of the kennel without a hot collar she would be gone for a while and she new it. She had good days and then the next day you think it might be her last right up until the end. I had planned to put her down one day as she was real slow and even called the vet to let him know I may have to the next day, but that day I made her about as comfortable as she has ever been in her kennel and told her it was alright, the next morning she was gone almost like she was waiting for me to just say it. I am glad I didnt have to put her down as I have with another. It is bad enough having to bury one you have had for so long but nothing erases that memory of holding one while the vet puts them down, and she spared me that feeling. Unless she is in pain enjoy the time you have left but if she is in pain do the right thing and take that pain away.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Georgia Hunter
We are going through the same thing with our "Skully" She's our 13 year old mix Toller. Been going on for a few months now as she is failing from liver cancer. Yesterday I was sure she would not make the day. Would not eat, struggled to take her pills, didn't want a treat and did not even take notice when I loaded the dishwasher. Put her in the kennel and she layed all day with her head in the corner and did not move. By 6 pm she was up and happy to be at my side. Tail wagging and ready for "supper". I think you will know when the time has come. Take it at that and enjoy what you have left. Duckdon

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue May 03, 2011 6:37 pm

I just put down my 14 year old male GSP a week ago. I concur with what others are saying about not waiting too long. My old boy had arthritis in his spine and his hind end became weak and deteriorated. After not responding to numerous treatments/meds, I finally had enough and could no longer bear to watch him deteriorate. I made that very tough decision and looking back I know in my heart i did the right thing.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed May 04, 2011 1:09 am

My sympathies go out to you. Its never an easy task no matter what the situation. I've had dogs put down, and I've put dogs down myself. I honestly can't tell you which one was harder. Sometimes I've thought I may be too weak to be in the dog business. Every time you lose one it takes a little piece out of you that you never get back. I lost a good dog last October and just reading this thread it brings back a flood of emotions. :cry:

Only you can make that decision on what to do, & when it's time. You've got alot of good advice from several members. The only thing I might add is to pray on it. Think about it - and pray on it, and you'll get your answer. This might be a little off the subject but, in our Wednesday night "Mens Group" at Church last week, we were digressing the chapter we were in. The chapter is titled "It's The Heart". A passage in our book talks about how "The Heart is formed in the womb before the Brain. It's the Heart we should be listening to more than our minds".

Often I think we overthink situations or things when we should just go with our gut instinct, or "listen to our heart" Proverbs 4:32 says "Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life"

I hope you have gleaned the knowledge and support you were seeking from this thread. May peace be with you and your dog in whatever avenue you choose. :(
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

nitecapt

Post by nitecapt » Wed May 04, 2011 9:48 am

I made the decision when my dog did not want to get up. Many time we keep dogs alive too long because we can't bear the pain of the loss. Please keep foremost in your mind your responsibility to do the right thing for your dog without regard for yourself. ask yourself, "What am I putting this dog through." I haev alswwaus seen a sort of sigal for every dog I have had to put down. It's like they are looking at you saying, "please do something."
I am tearing as I write this having lost 2 over the winter and I am now dogless for the time being. I still grive for mine and I knwo how painful it will be for you. I am inconsolable as will you be. Still, we have to face these things as responsible owners.
My thoughts and prayers are with you to give you the wisdom to know when and the strength to do it.
Ray