recommendations for hunting vests for dogs..

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

recommendations for hunting vests for dogs..

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Do any of you use hunting vests on your dogs and if so which ones do you recommend..we need one for water/land and found neoprene causes chaffing, anyone have this issue and can you recommend one that doesnt do this?....thanks....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Re: recommendations for hunting vests for dogs..

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 pm

My recommendation is not to use one.....
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52 pm

+1 at least for water. I've always ran labs so I haven't seen the need for vests. I have a cousin who runs GSP's and I always felt sorry for his dogs, their family jewels look raw after a day in the CRP. I haven't seen anything other than neoprene for water, I wouldn't think any other material will keep them warm.

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 pm

nikegundog wrote:+1 at least for water. I've always ran labs so I haven't seen the need for vests. I have a cousin who runs GSP's and I always felt sorry for his dogs, their family jewels look raw after a day in the CRP. I haven't seen anything other than neoprene for water, I wouldn't think any other material will keep them warm.
There aren't that many options out there. Wool, down and thinsulate are the only other materials I can think of that would help the dog keep warm while wet.

hosejockey2935

Post by hosejockey2935 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:37 am

I use a neoprene one in the field. I wouldn't use it if it's hot out, but usually when we get out, it is cool to cold (Late October-December). It sure keeps thier undersides from wearing raw and it also is alot easier to brush out the few birs that get on the ears or legs.
Sir Ta' Mater of Chaos - Mater

Firebrand's Smoke & Mirrors - Kenzie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3358

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:56 am

I can't tell you what is good but can tell you what is bad. Stay away from the ones linked below. A friend and I tried them in MI this year grousing and they tore the dogs up. Maybe it was the fit on GSPs but they really worked over the frontend of the dog. That was on a half day hunt. We took them back and got our money back. LCS sells these too under their name either way they are hard on shorthaired dogs for sure. I run mine without one all the time now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t103906980

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 am

I put flash capes on dark dogs for visibility but don't really have a need for flotation or warmth. I would suggest if you have a chaffing issue to put a kid sized teeshirt on the dog under the vest or jacket.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

V-John

Post by V-John » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:41 am

I used the neoprene vest by Cabelas and just cut them down alot so they don't rub. I used the Cabelas "Rip Stop" one time and I've never seen such rubbing. Turned my dogs underarms into mush. Poor dog could hardly walk. He's never been in again.

I use a vest so I can see the little buggers. Vizslas + CRP grass = invisible dogs. They blend in perfect with that color of the grass.

outdoorman

Post by outdoorman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Never.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Dirtysailor wrote:I can't tell you what is good but can tell you what is bad. Stay away from the ones linked below. A friend and I tried them in MI this year grousing and they tore the dogs up. Maybe it was the fit on GSPs but they really worked over the frontend of the dog. That was on a half day hunt. We took them back and got our money back. LCS sells these too under their name either way they are hard on shorthaired dogs for sure. I run mine without one all the time now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t103906980
Thanks, I was planning on getting the LCS vest rather than the skidplate, but I guess ill keep looking now.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Chafing kind of depends on the dog. I've used skidplates for my two dogs with varying success. One of my dogs has a very thick coat (for a shorthair) and has no problem with them or with vests the few times he's worn them. Unfortunately he is the one that needs it the least. My other dog has a very thin coat and really needs the protection of the skidplate during our yearly 9 day hunting trip to SD.....his underside from front to back is really beat by the CRP, sticks he's run into, etc. Unfortunately for him the skidplate rubs him so raw by the second day that he can't wear it (even after having him wear it around here playing for the month or so before we go). Suspect we will try tailoring it a bit before this next trip (and may try the undershirt trick mentioned earlier).

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Look at the Cabelas website, all of the vests have reviews, one had over 200 reviews. With Cabelas you can always try it on your dog and if it chaffs him, you send it back, no questions asked as long as you don't modify it.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:35 am

Thanks guys, i will be going to cabelas to have a look in the next week or two..too early to buy one but good to know your opinions for when i need to pick one..i have one in mind but will go to have a look..i will definitely be using one on our pup for hunting land/water here, our shorthair ruger would have had a huge gash had he not had his vest on years ago and i sware by them for that reason but when we went duck hunting the neoprene chaffed him bad under his legs so ill watch for that..thanks for the replies...ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)