Some of best GSP's ever????????

Hotchkiss

Some of best GSP's ever????????

Post by Hotchkiss » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:00 pm

I am getting into GSPs more each year and wonder which dogs YOU think MAY have been some of the best GSP field trial dogs in the last 20 years. Please do not submit the names of dogs YOU own(ed) or bred. I don't want to start a fight. I would just like to gather some information from you folks. Thanks.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Some of best GSP's ever????????

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Showtime's Rollin' Thunder.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Never saw her run, but I would say Joe A's Selina would be right up there.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Haven't been around them a long time but...... I have heard from a few that a dog named "billy dees blues in A" was a dog people try to recreate.

It really does depend on what part of the country though. The way I understand it is a few dogs ruled the west coast for a few years and were the dogs to beat. Larry lowell dog NEO, Carl porters dog blues, rockin rocky, rockin rollin billy, and a dog named spek who has been bread in to create more run (didn't develope a lot until he was older). All dogs before my time. And all dogs from out west.

I think hands down prairie wind kennels have the most dogs out of these lines, Larry lowell became a master at breeding them and creating some really nice dogs.

Troy08er has done his homework on all those dogs also.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Echo's Little Bit of Clown.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:42 pm

PJ Wildfire! When Joe had him right ,he was a tough dog to beat....vern

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:46 pm

Well, if you're going back that far, I'm throwing Clown in here.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Clown couldn't find a porkchop in a paper bag!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 pm

bigoak wrote:Clown couldn't find a porkchop in a paper bag!
Fine by me. I don't care for porkchops either.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 am

Just pulling your chain!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:31 am

NFC/FC Leighton's Ace Mona

Not only could Mona get it done, she was also Rusty's Dam.

I'd also throw Slick out there for consideration as well as Joe Amatulli's FC Tulli's Scatback (Selina).

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:50 am

ultracarry wrote:Haven't been around them a long time but...... I have heard from a few that a dog named "billy dees blues in A" was a dog people try to recreate.

It really does depend on what part of the country though. The way I understand it is a few dogs ruled the west coast for a few years and were the dogs to beat. Larry lowell dog NEO, Carl porters dog blues, rockin rocky, rockin rollin billy, and a dog named spek who has been bread in to create more run (didn't develope a lot until he was older). All dogs before my time. And all dogs from out west.

I think hands down prairie wind kennels have the most dogs out of these lines, Larry lowell became a master at breeding them and creating some really nice dogs.

You're right . You haven't been around long. Spek was an air head. All he had was run and nothing else. IMO, watched him too many times.

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:58 am

What if we limited it to the all age dogs that have run in the last 10 years?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:01 am

bigoak wrote:Just pulling your chain!
That's okay. I still don't like pork chops.

How about Ace and Nuke.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:23 am

kensfishing wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Haven't been around them a long time but...... I have heard from a few that a dog named "billy dees blues in A" was a dog people try to recreate.

You're right . You haven't been around long. Spek was an air head. All he had was run and nothing else. IMO, watched him too many times.
Sorry if I struck a nerve by mentioning spek.

I thought since he won 4 all age championships and 1 ru and was the NGSPA Dog All Age Dog of The Year It would kinda deserve to be mentioned.

If being around a long time had credibility then we wouldn't have an issue with memory loss... would we ken.

jstpnt1

Post by jstpnt1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:58 am

GK's Rambin' Danny produced several FC's, and I believe 3 NFC/NAFC get. Dixielands' Luke, if bred to a big running female, would produce some phenominal trial type dogs.
On the female side, I've always been partial to Rawhide's Bad News and Quailrun's Roxy Roller.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 am

ultracarry wrote:
kensfishing wrote:

Sorry if I struck a nerve by mentioning spek.

I thought since he won 4 all age championships and 1 ru and was the NGSPA Dog All Age Dog of The Year It would kinda deserve to be mentioned.

If being around a long time had credibility then we wouldn't have an issue with memory loss... would we ken.
I guess the number of time the dog ran he got lucky. And I do mean lucky. There's alot better dogs out there than to mention Spek.

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 am

Can I suggest that you guys comment on dogs you have seen and that you know. Some of the dogs suggested thus far wouldn’t even make it in the top 25, let alone “Some of the best ever”.

The all time championship winner was Tulli’s Scatback with 33.

I believe KJ’s High Tailing Lucy and Tarkas both had 28 championships, but I think,Tarkas includes AKC. Lucy had 16 wins and 12 runner ups, I think.

I don’t know their record, but I have seen them more than one time, Flash Dance Jenny (maybe the best all age/shooting dog ever), Messer’s Chloe (I would take her home in a heartbeat and would have won a good deal more than James did), of course Slick, his litter maid (although did not have his brothers record) Strike the Gold, Bandit (when he was on, real tough to beat). This should get you started in the right direction.

By the way, one of the finest derbys I have ever seen was out of Spek, but his record does not warrent this list. And ya Clown was not a bird dog, Don was a great handler.

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 am

Joe Amatulli wrote:Can I suggest that you guys comment on dogs you have seen and that you know. Some of the dogs suggested thus far wouldn’t even make it in the top 25, let alone “Some of the best ever”.

I believe KJ’s High Tailing Lucy and Tarkas both had 28 championships, but I think,Tarkas includes AKC. Lucy had 16 wins and 12 runner ups, I think.

I don’t know their record, but I have seen them more than one time, Flash Dance Jenny (maybe the best all age/shooting dog ever), Messer’s Chloe (I would take her home in a heartbeat and would have won a good deal more than James did), of course Slick, his litter maid (although did not have his brothers record) Strike the Gold, Bandit (when he was on, real tough to beat). This should get you started in the right direction.

By the way, one of the finest derbys I have ever seen was out of Spek, but his record does not warrent this list. And ya Clown was not a bird dog, Don was a great handler.
Thanks. I certainly did not want folks to argue over this, but was simply looking for opinions based upon the type of statistics you mentioned plus those dogs people saw in the field.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 am

Joe Amatulli wrote:Can I suggest that you guys comment on dogs you have seen and that you know. Some of the dogs suggested thus far wouldn’t even make it in the top 25, let alone “Some of the best ever”.

Where would you put Rusty?
Take Care
Pete

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:01 pm

D.....
Last edited by lvrgsp on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:07 pm

I just throwing this out there for thought. Is it possible that Some of the Best might not have 15 plus wins because the owner didn't have 30 grand in disposable income a year over multiple years to build that resume. It seems to me that someone who's seen world class dogs might be able to give a name of a dog that they truly thought was One of the Best without getting criticized about their choice.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Hotchkiss wrote:I am getting into GSPs more each year and wonder which dogs YOU think MAY have been some of the best GSP field trial dogs in the last 20 years. Please do not submit the names of dogs YOU own(ed) or bred. I don't want to start a fight. I would just like to gather some information from you folks. Thanks.
I wouldn't disagree with winning records.... the OP didnt say the dog had to win every time they hit the ground or it would be the moat consistent. The best dogs don't always win but when they do you remember what made them win.

A dog may have died early before they could win multiple championships, had bad timing when they went to nationals or their owner didn't see the point in field trailing them anymore because they had too much fun hunting wild birds. Would this make the dog not qualify for one of the best trial dogs?

Then again some dogs are just really good bird dogs and having too many finds in a stake could be the downfall after they broke on the 4-5-8-10 find. And a dog that just held 2 perfectly without breaking won.

They may not win a lot but they could be really nice to watch because they find birds the previous 50 dogs have not found. That half a second away from making and breaking dreams of a handler and enough intensity in a point to make you wonder what kind of wicked thoughts that dog is having is.what I would rather see.

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Ultra did you read what you wrote before you posted it. If the dog did not win consistently, how on earth can you want to call the dog “one of the best”. One great performance or for that matter a hand full of great performances, does not make a dog great. I will not argue that most likely the greatest has not been seen, simply because of the numbers, but then again, how can you consider one of the best, a dog that few or no one has ever seen. Also if the owner could not afford to campaign the dog, well that’s just too bad, maybe he should have tried to get it to someone that could.

I have not seen Rusty I was told that he did not win his first championship until he was 7 years old, but I don’t want to get into what else I was told. Rumors are to be taken lightly and most likely only 10% are true, maybe some can post his record.

I did see Ace later in his career, that was a good dog. Although she was a hand full Grand Illusion, Some of the greatest performances, what I will call as perfect as I have ever seen was Saddle at Wye Island, Slick in the National Amateur All Breed, my Selina when she won Boonville the second time and when she won the All Breed, Lucy also at Wye Island, Chloe when she won Eureka although I thought Selina could beat her. I have heard of some others, but maybe people that were there could comment.

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 pm

One of the greatest All Age performances was Abby when she won the All Age at the Hun, in that case I was one of the judges and all I can say is WOW. Not only did the dog get the job done, but Dennis did an outstanding job handling her.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Sorry Joe I don't want to get into it with you but if you quote then you should read and quote the whole sentence.

The words were "YOU think MAY" if you want to post about how I don't read the whole post then maybe you should put on a set of reading glasses before you make a statement.

the post is subjective JOE its not a definite. I'm sorry I did not mention your dog.
Last edited by ultracarry on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Hey Joe do us all a favor and remove your listing of your own dog from the list. The OP didn't want people listing their own dog. But maybe you didn't read that one all the way through either.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:55 pm

One thing I consider is length of career. Ricky made it around the GSPCA Nationals at an age some other big name AA contenders never saw.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:One thing I consider is length of career. Ricky made it around the GSPCA Nationals at an age some other big name AA contenders never saw.
+1

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Like Ultra said, he hasn't been around dogs long. Don't put you guys ,all I said I've watched Spek run a number of times is the years past, he didn't impress me, along with other people. There are too many dogs out there that have given more to the dog world by far.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Beiers Evolution
Great dog, great producer, good owners.

Ehrlichers Abe, 2x NFC, a great all age dog. Saw him run in a stake in Idaho Falls, what a performance.

Editted for language. Ezzy

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:42 pm

What about FC-AFC BEIER'S EVOLUTION? I know the FC-AFC BEIER'S EVOLUTION X FC ACES PRIMA BANANE produced some great dogs. The motherline from this combo is still producing great dogs. Just my 2 cents.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Did anyone actually read the selection criteria? Really?

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Vision wrote:Beiers Evolution
Great dog, great producer, good owners.

Ehrlichers Abe, 2x NFC, a great all age dog. Saw him run in a stake in Idaho Falls, what a performance.

Editted for language. Ezzy
I didn't see this post before I posted mine.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:00 pm

The best 2 that I ever saw, Judged, braced with were Tulli's Scarback and Tarkus. Both of these dogs had all and more that a person could ever want in a bird dog. They had great style, stamina, courage, and could and did find birds and stand them.

Have seen most if not all of the top dogs in the past 10 years, Chloe and Lucy are there for sure and several others. The best producer in my opinion was Ramblin Danny, the bitches he was bred to produced great puppies.

The trial was never over till Selina and Tarkus ran

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:28 am

Joe Amatulli wrote:Can I suggest that you guys comment on dogs you have seen and that you know.
Uhhmmm........... I did. :roll:

I saw Mona run over 20 years ago (twice in 4 weeks)
I saw your Selina run at the EGSPC's trial back in the fall of '06 (I believe she won a Limited stake- if memory serves correct)
I saw Slick run once at Nationals (not sure of specific year, 1990 maybe? I went 3 times during a 4 year span).

All three of these dogs left a lasting impression with me.
The only "guideline" I violated from the OP's criteria, was that Mona goes back more than 20 years.

The more I think of it- it'd be kind of tough to keep Clown off any list of this type. A dog wins the National AA Championship for their breed 3 years in a row ('92-'94) is just plain gettin' it done on the National level! I saw Clown win it in '92.

Good Luck at the Region 2 Championships- I won't be returning home until next Wednesday. We'll be there next year, for sure.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 am

ultracarry wrote:Hey Joe do us all a favor and remove your listing of your own dog from the list. The OP didn't want people listing their own dog. But maybe you didn't read that one all the way through either.
I posted as well as one other Selina well before Joe did.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

JimJackson

Post by JimJackson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm

I have to agree about Selina she was simply unbeatable at Iona and I possibly witnessed the greatest shooting dog performance I have ever seen when she won Boonville the second time and that includes pointers. I remember Tarkus as being an outstanding bird dog. Wish I had seen more of these dog although I basically run pointers I am partial to GSPs.

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:02 am

Well thanks fellas, Selina was truly one in a million and I doubt that I will every have one or see one of that caliber again. I am surprised on the lack of comments on this thread, but I will throw some more names out there.

There have only been 5 dogs that have won 20 or more championships, Selina, Tarkus, Lucy, Chloe, and Albenbiks Josie all outstanding and deserve their accomplishments. But I have seen Outbacks Josie, a force in her day, Don Fiddler’s Baron and Millie also could put it down, and of course Dalton’s dog Reo Pawnee. Although I never say him when he was on, but Moon. I was braces with Hoke’s Ben a number of years ago, that dog could get it done and one of the biggest running Derbies I have ever seen was out of him.

Dogs that were before me, but people still talk about today Koonas, Cowboy, Tip Top Timmy, Monca Delight, Jigs White Smoke, Thunder won Boonville 3 years in a row, never been done before or after. The list is long and my memory is not what it used to be, but as more names pop into my pea brain, I’ll post them.

Rob I was not referring to your post, just every time a thread like this is posted too many times people put up dogs that either did very little or nothing, Mona although I never seen her, her record, at least to me says “good dog”.

Got to go now, I have a championship to get ready for.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:25 am

Are those Championship wins that you guys are mentioning Championships or are they including RU Championships as well. Just wondering. Thanks.

Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Doc Reynolds,FC Kyles Hightailing Luke,in addition to being an AKC AA champion, he won the NGSPA AA Pheasant Championship 3 times! And was sire of the year. Unfortunately Luke died way too soon. Littermate to Luke was FC/AFC Pineacres Rusty Saddle, owned by Russ Roth. Rusty was RU champion at the Amt. shooting dog stake at the Pheasant 3 times These dogs did the job at a very young age.
Smitty

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Jax and Cutter

And their daddy?

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Jax and Cutter

And their daddy?
Woops, can't forget Ace. And let's add Shake, Siren, and Kate too.

Doug

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:40 pm

2009 All Age DOY, 2xNC, 19 hour championships - Spot.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:37 am

Can someone please answer my question.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:52 am

ElhewPointer wrote:Can someone please answer my question.
Vagas-I'm not 100% for sure, but I think it' both.

Doug

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks Doug,

Thats what I figured since nobody has said anything. If it was Championships only, im guessing I would have had a response in about 2 minutes.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:14 am

Come on people. I asked a simple question. All the "gurus" on here and nobody knows if this includes RU Ch or just Champions? Because if it is 33 CHAMPIONSHIPS, that is amazing! Not saying that 33 total championship placements isn't.