Trials/events

baileydog2007

Trials/events

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:16 am

I didnt really want to start a new thread for this, but didnt want to hijack anyone elses either, cuz this doesnt really fit any others. I am interested in events for my new pup once it comes of age, but not certain which suits me/my dog best. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are events of any kind (with the exception of horseback, Im not equipt for that) in MN, ND, or possibly western/northern WI in the coming months to attend and spectate? Any info would be appreciated.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Trials/events

Post by nikegundog » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 am

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 am

You can search AKC events - field trials and hunt tests - in your area here: http://www.akc.org/events/search/
NSTRA events are listed here: http://nstra.org/nstra_regions.htm
American Field listings are here: http://www.americanfield.com/Pages/4_7_FIX.pdf

These will get you the event time and location and a club contact you can get further information from.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 am

Do you have friends that also trial? What venue do they do it in?
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:31 am

baileydog2007 wrote:I didnt really want to start a new thread for this, but didnt want to hijack anyone elses either, cuz this doesnt really fit any others. I am interested in events for my new pup once it comes of age, but not certain which suits me/my dog best. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are events of any kind (with the exception of horseback, Im not equipt for that) in MN, ND, or possibly western/northern WI in the coming months to attend and spectate? Any info would be appreciated.
Do you ever duck hunt, deer hunt?
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:34 am

He lives in Northern MN, state law requires you to deer hunt, schools close for deer season. :D

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 am

Just thinking about NAVHDA being a nice venue if he has any desire for a versatile dog.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 am

slistoe wrote:You can search AKC events - field trials and hunt tests - in your area here: http://www.akc.org/events/search/
NSTRA events are listed here: http://nstra.org/nstra_regions.htm
American Field listings are here: http://www.americanfield.com/Pages/4_7_FIX.pdf

These will get you the event time and location and a club contact you can get further information from.
Ditto
here is a link that has more different trial venue links http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/HuntingDog ... fault.aspx
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:30 pm

displaced_texan wrote:Do you have friends that also trial? What venue do they do it in?

No. I have friends that HT, which I have done, but looking for something new. Not that I dont enjoy HT, but I would like to see what else is out there.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Birddogz wrote:
baileydog2007 wrote:I didnt really want to start a new thread for this, but didnt want to hijack anyone elses either, cuz this doesnt really fit any others. I am interested in events for my new pup once it comes of age, but not certain which suits me/my dog best. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are events of any kind (with the exception of horseback, Im not equipt for that) in MN, ND, or possibly western/northern WI in the coming months to attend and spectate? Any info would be appreciated.

I do. Why? I love to hunt deer. Ducks, eh, theyre ok, but in the pan, a few a season is enough. And not that Im gettin old or anything, but settin up decs, breaking ice, and plucking them things just aint as fun as as ruffies are to. 8)

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks all for the links!

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm going to be in Northern MN this weekend for a cover dog trial near Mora in the Rum River State Forest. I've never been there before but I am certainly looking forward to it. Check out this blog for more information about the club hosting the trial.

http://mngda.blogspot.com/

There will also be another cover dog trial in NW Wisconsin near Solon Springs at the end of the month. It is hosted by the Moose River Grouse Dog Club.

In case you don't know cover dog trials are run on grouse and woodcock in their natural habitat. No pen raised birds are used and a shooting dog needs to be STWS. The dogs wear bells in the woods and blank pistols are used because the birds are not killed. There is no retrieving involved with these trials.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Grange wrote:I'm going to be in Northern MN this weekend for a cover dog trial near Mora in the Rum River State Forest. I've never been there before but I am certainly looking forward to it. Check out this blog for more information about the club hosting the trial.

There will also be another cover dog trial in NW Wisconsin near Solon Springs at the end of the month. It is hosted by the Moose River Grouse Dog Club.

In case you don't know cover dog trials are run on grouse and woodcock in their natural habitat. No pen raised birds are used and a shooting dog needs to be STWS. The dogs wear bells in the woods and blank pistols are used because the birds are not killed. There is no retrieving involved with these trials.

Thanks. And its funny to me some consider that Northern MN. Is that type of event hard to watch???

dan janssen

Post by dan janssen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Red River Valley has there NAVHDA test on June 11&12 contact Steven Buck @ 701 729 6483 those people will love to have you come and watch or they will help you train

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:

Thanks. And its funny to me some consider that Northern MN. Is that type of event hard to watch???
How fast can you run in Muck boots? That's how hard it is.
Dan

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:36 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:
Birddogz wrote:

I do. Why? I love to hunt deer. Ducks, eh, theyre ok, but in the pan, a few a season is enough. And not that Im gettin old or anything, but settin up decs, breaking ice, and plucking them things just aint as fun as as ruffies are to. 8)
NAVHDA includes versatile work, that is why I asked.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:12 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:
Grange wrote:I'm going to be in Northern MN this weekend for a cover dog trial near Mora in the Rum River State Forest. I've never been there before but I am certainly looking forward to it. Check out this blog for more information about the club hosting the trial.

You walk in a single file line on a path through the woods behind the handlers and judges. I don't know about the Minnesota grounds, but I am a a little familiar with the Moose River Trial grounds as I've completed there a couple times. The grounds range from scrub/shrub wetland to upland forest. Some courses can get wet while others are drier. If the gallery isn't big you should be able to see the dog work.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 am

I just wanted to post that the Moose River Trial was moved up one week. It will be run this weekend. Unfortunately I doubt I'll make it up there due to the holiday weekend.