5'7" of rattler

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

5'7" of rattler

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Bob is in Texas right now taking care of clients for Turkey season. He was out topping off the feeders when he came across this buzz stick yep he measured it 5'7" and I have the distinct feeling that is as big as that snake will ever get anymore
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gittrdonebritts

Re: 5'7" of rattler

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:26 pm

nasty ! my buddy in Tn nailed a 4 ft timber rattler this past week i hate me a snake !

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:23 pm

He's a nice sized one. Just right for skinnin out and fryin up. :D

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Are they still tender?
It would be extremely tender if I ever came across it. :wink:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:48 am

All snake meat is a bit stringy no matter what size they are but bread it up and fry it like chicken with a bit of egg wash, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, season all salt, black pepper,cayenne pepper and and a little paprika and you have yourself a fine dining experience.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 am

I bet it was 5'-10" before loosing its head. :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for posting. Now I remember why I stopped Turkey hunting. Saw a guy one day during turkey season have one of those babies hanging from his pants. Lucky that he didn't get any meat (the snake that is).

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:26 am

That gives me the Heebie Jeebies... Yuck. I can do without snakes.. PERIOD! :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:12 am

Snake wheres there a snake? All I see is a fine looking AR tell us more about it. I am currently building a 6.8 hunting rifle

asc

Post by asc » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:00 pm

I've killed three water moccasians this turkey season, one this morning. On a scarier note my ep(she has had snake avoidence training) killed a coral snake in the yard last sunday. Time for a refresher course.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 pm

asc wrote:I've killed three water moccasians this turkey season, one this morning. On a scarier note my ep(she has had snake avoidence training) killed a coral snake in the yard last sunday. Time for a refresher course.

My dogs will avoid rattlers but think grass snakes when we used to go to Nebraska for trials were the greatest thing to chase :?
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

apachecadillac

Post by apachecadillac » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Looks like the raw ingredient of a his'n'her matching hatband set to me.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:26 pm

asc wrote:I've killed three water moccasians this turkey season, one this morning. On a scarier note my ep(she has had snake avoidence training) killed a coral snake in the yard last sunday. Time for a refresher course.
The Brown Water Snake is often mis-identified as a Water Moccasian. Either way, better safe than sorry unless you can positivley identify the two.
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/FL ... pilota.htm

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

asc

Post by asc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:55 pm

I know the difference tween Mr. Cottonmouth and a brown water snake :) , and a coral snake and a scarlet king. Funny story, I was wading thru a shallow cypress head a couple of springs back and was amazed by the number of tadpoles in this pool, they were thick. Out of curiosity I leaned over to get a handful to see if their legs were showing(just like I did as a kid) and a stick reared up and showed me the white about two feet from my face. I leaped/fell back (probably screaming/cursing) into the pool, soaking me, my gun, vest, etc. Mr. Cottonmouth held his ground until I regained my senses and dispatched him to snake heaven. I view tadpoles at a distance now :wink:
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:57 pm

asc wrote:I know the difference tween Mr. Cottonmouth and a brown water snake :) , and a coral snake and a scarlet king. Funny story, I was wading thru a shallow cypress head a couple of springs back and was amazed by the number of tadpoles in this pool, they were thick. Out of curiosity I leaned over to get a handful to see if their legs were showing(just like I did as a kid) and a stick reared up and showed me the white about two feet from my face. I leaped/fell back (probably screaming/cursing) into the pool, soaking me, my gun, vest, etc. Mr. Cottonmouth held his ground until I regained my senses and dispatched him to snake heaven. I view tadpoles at a distance now :wink:

Now that sounds like a Charmin Moment

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm

We're control burning right now and have been seeing at least one bad boy everyday. Several times this year we've had cotton mouths come right up to us, twice in the middle of harrowed field with the tractor idling. Nothing will make a grown man look like a little girl quite like a cotton mouth sneeking up on you.