GSPCA National Amateur Gun Dog Championship

dockgsp

GSPCA National Amateur Gun Dog Championship

Post by dockgsp » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 pm

The 2011 GSPCA National Amateur Gun Dog Championship will be held on Oct 1st to conclusion , in Grand River Iowa. This is a walking championship for amateur owned and handled GSPs. Qualifications for the event and further information can be found on the GSPCA web site. It is a fun event. Two series, 1st a 30 minute with a retrieve on course. 2nd series of the top dogs is 45 minute course without a retrieve. The 2012 NAGDC is scheduled to be held in the Eastern U.S.
To brag little, to lose well, to crow gently if in luck, to pay up, to own up, and to shut up if beaten, are the virtues of a sporting man.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

larue

Re: GSPCA National Amateur Gun Dog Championship

Post by larue » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:05 am

why was it moved from the spring to two weeks before eureka?

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm

It seems like an odd time to hold it. If it was going to be this close to Nationals in Eureka, why didnt they just move it to run with the Nationals in Eureka.

My guess is that they are going to see a reduced entry at the NAGDC as a result of the chosen dates.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Do you think it will be a smaller entry than last year?

The grounds at Grand River would be okay in the Spring, but I was there last Fall and the cover was very heavy in places.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

dockgsp

Post by dockgsp » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 pm

original mngsp wrote:It seems like an odd time to hold it. If it was going to be this close to Nationals in Eureka, why didnt they just move it to run with the Nationals in Eureka.

My guess is that they are going to see a reduced entry at the NAGDC as a result of the chosen dates.

That proposal was brought up. We had too much resistence from the horseback people to have it at the same time as the nationals for a variety of reasons.

I think we will be Ok with the entries.
To brag little, to lose well, to crow gently if in luck, to pay up, to own up, and to shut up if beaten, are the virtues of a sporting man.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:36 pm

It's being held when & where it is this year because that's the only time & place the club could arrange for the trial to be held. It's hard to hold a trial when you don't have a local club interested in holding it.

This trial has always been a pawn in a number of battles within the GSPCA. We had an opportunity to get the trial back in good shape by putting it somewhere for a few years but again club politics and disagreements about many other things got in the way of doing what's right for the trial.

JMO,
Dave

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:38 pm

original mngsp wrote:It seems like an odd time to hold it. If it was going to be this close to Nationals in Eureka, why didnt they just move it to run with the Nationals in Eureka.

They floated that idea. It was clear it was not very popular with the trialers who already spend three weeks at Eureka.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:34 am

The Grand River grounds are about as good as it gets,It consists about 1000 acres of crp ground with plenty of edges, there are several pointer trials held there yearly . It is a private lease and will be hayed and mowed by the time of the trial.It does lack some creature comforts, no electric and as i understand it their will be a big tent erected for the trial.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:24 am

+1 on the grounds, I've trained there a couple of times. Nice place.

Doug