crate / kennel / pup picking ???'s

gr_elliott

crate / kennel / pup picking ???'s

Post by gr_elliott » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Well I am bringing my first GSP home in a couple of weeks and cant wait. I am trying to get everything lined up and ready for the arrival of my new buddy. I plan on buying an XL crate and making a divider that I can move back as pup grows into the crate. From the dimentions I was thinking that large was a little too small, am I right on that?

I also have a place in the backyard that already has concrete poured, it is about5'x5'. Is that big enough for a kennel? I am guessing it is, as he gets older it will just be a place for him to hang out while I am gone, its not like he will be locked in there all day everyday.

I also ordered the Perfect Start DVD today, I am excited to get that in the mail. I am thinking that video would be a good starting point for a beginner, at least from what I have heard about it on this forum.

I am going to pick up the little one on April 8th....I don't know much about picking pups, from what I can tell everyone has their own method. Some people say let the pup pick you, others say it is just luck of the draw grab one that you like, and then there is the Larry Mueller way which he talks about in his book "How to Speed Train a Pointer", which I am guessing is an oxymoron in it self. He says to make a loud noise, don't take the pup that just stands there, and don't take the one that runs and hides. take the one that runs a few steps and then turns around to see what in the world just happened. I kinda see his point, then again I am a greenhorn, so what in the world do I know. Any advice on this topic would be much appreciated.

I will post pics of the new pup when I get him/her home...i am sure I will out do my welcome later with questions so thats all I have for now

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:18 pm

First off CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I love bringing home pups!

1st thing is the X-large crate will be better in the long run as long as you use a divider now which you say you are. I reccomend not using a wire crate 1. because its sure a heck of a lot easier to clean up a plastic if he has an "Accedent" 2. Because dogs are naturally denning animals and the plastic crates will make them feel more secure. If they are used right once the pup is potty trained you can leave it open and he will go in there to nap by choice!

The dvd sounds like a great idea the only problem is they dont give you answers to problems. But then again thats what this forum is for! :):) I think overall it will be a great learning tool

2nd thing is The dog wont be on the concrete will it? There will be sumthing covering it like astroturf or somthing. As pups it will be ruff on the pads and it can get very hot in the summer. 5'x 5' is a little small but as long as hes not in there for more than 4 or 5 hours at a time, it has a elimination area, a place to get out of the sun, and a 6' high fence it should do.

3rd thing is If your just picking a family member the "Just let it come to you method" works great. You will find out which pup likes you the most. If you going for a hunting dog you might want to have the breeder bust out the wing on a stick and see which one is most birdy and enthusiastic. If you looking for a show dog you will want to read over and over the standard and look at Ch pictures and askt he breeder which dog would get atleast a 3 or 4 on the point scale.

As far as male or females go. Males are more dependent they will follow you from room to room. There bigger and i think have a little more energy. There the ones that tend to come backa nd check with you in the field. Mines 11 months and he already does it. Females are less dependent most FT dogs are either small or female. ( I was told by a pro field trailer jsut his opinion) but they tend to mature quiker and learn a little easier. But if you dont have them fixed well you know the story. They dont go through the im bigger than you stage...well not as bad.

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:44 pm

thanks for the feedback Justin....this new pup will be for hunting, I have nio desire to do dog shows or field trials (at this time at least)

I need to figure something out about a kennel for the backyard, I thought that 5x5 was a little small

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:07 pm

I have a new pup on the way as well. I have setup a 10'x10' kennel and I am putting 24" landscaping steps in it rather than pouring concrete as I do not plan to keep my current home forever and a future buyer may not want a 10'x10' slab in the backyard. I am putting black landscaping cloth down to keep weeds and grass from growing up between the steps. As for sun and heat, I have attached a tarp over the top of the kennel that can be rolled back partially during nice weather. This will also keep the concrete from getting hot in the summer. You may want to consider this as it is not all that expensive to do. Lowe's sells the 10'x10'x6' kennels for $239 and I can get enough 24" steps to do all of the kennel floor for around $160.

Speaking of the new pup, the litter of nine was born yesterday morning. I took pictures and will post them soon.

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:17 pm

New pups are always exciting! Can't wait to seem some pics.

I have 4 GSP's and they all have their own crate that they sleep in. I went with the large size as I found they were plenty big enough for my dogs and plus I can fit two side x side in the back of my Durango.

As far as picking your pup, I knew before I went whether I want a male or female. Once there I watched the dogs run around and tried to have them come over to me and then I would have a toy or wing and see which one seemed to have the most "intensity/curiosity" and that is usually the one that went home with me. If my kids were with me then it was "daddy that one is cute can we have that one"? To me if you are getting a pup from a good breeder you probably won't have a problem no matter which one you pick.

As far as male or female, I have 2 of each and have decided that when I get another it will be a female. I my experience, the males were a tad bit more stubborn and required more patience when training. As far as huntability, I think it goes back to the training and the breeding.

The 5x5 run will be a bit on the small side as the dog gets older. Think fenced yard if that is an option, or add on to the 5x5. Lots of options to explore as the dog grows.

Congrats again and looking forward to seeing the pics.

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:40 pm

My pup is due in 2 days and I am pretty excited as well.

I'll be watching and reading this thread as I'm only a few weeks behind where you are now.

I'm in the process of selling my house, so building the kennel and such will probably end up being a last minute rush depending on the next house.

I figure it will be a while before he is ever staying outside for very long anyway.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:21 am

I just got my pup 3 weeks ago. I kinda used the dave walker method to chosing a pup but instead of just reaching in an grabbing one I just chose a pup that caught my eye. But most people will tell you that you dont choose a pup the puppy choses you. I was lucky and we both shose each other.

As for the crate you can buy a wire one with a divider and they are cheaper than the big plastic ones. Atleast here they are.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:41 am

With regard to a crate, experience tells me to go with a large plastic one. The Pet Porter brand is relatively inexpensive, can be found at Wal-Mart and is USDA approved for shipping live animals. In that respect, you can throw the crate in the car or truck and take your pup with you, safely. It is a little more expensive than a wire crate, but using it as an all-in-one is a lot cheaper than buying a wire crate for home and then buying a plastic crate later for transporting your dogs to the field.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:57 am

great info here guys....i have been a lurker on this site for a good while now, and have learned so much already

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:32 pm

I've had "Zoomie" since Jan. 28th. He's my first hunting dog. When we picked him, I chose his parents & the breeder more than him. I actually let my wife pick the pup. We deliberately avoided the alpha male, though. He will usually be more stubborn and strongheaded than the rest. As this is my first, I didn't want too many problems there.
As far as crates go, I went with a large Pet Porter from Walmart. I think gsp's arre similar in size to V's, so that may work well for travelin'

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txtrigger2003

Post by txtrigger2003 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:29 pm

FYI:

Petco offers a crate made by Remington that is affordable and well ventilated, which should help in hotter climates. It is only available online, however. I believe the Large sells for $59 and the XL is $79.