brushing your dog

JasonW77

brushing your dog

Post by JasonW77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 pm

My 3 year old britt has a pretty long and wild coat on her. Her winter coat is slowly coming out with the help of a brush. does anyone have any tips that can help me get this under control. she looks like wild sewer dog with her hair going all directions

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: brushing your dog

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:26 pm

shave her for the summer months
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 pm

JasonW77 wrote:My 3 year old britt has a pretty long and wild coat on her. Her winter coat is slowly coming out with the help of a brush. does anyone have any tips that can help me get this under control. she looks like wild sewer dog with her hair going all directions
You can clip her or just brush till she is through shedding and she will look much better as soon as the dead hair is gone. Plus dogs should be brushed every few weeks whether they are shedding or not. That helps bring out the oil to the skin and coat a lot more than diet changes everyone talks about.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:55 pm

birddog1968 wrote:shave her for the summer months
+1 to that I have 5 britts and there all shaved for the summer its also funny to see what they look like under all that fur :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:00 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
+1 to that I have 5 britts and there all shaved for the summer its also funny to see what they look like under all that fur :lol:

Wonder who started this shaved thing that is actually clipping like we do with every other animal and have done for years with a clipper and not a razor. No wonder we confuse people.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:08 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
gittrdonebritts wrote:

Wonder who started this shaved thing that is actually clipping like we do with every other animal and have done for years with a clipper and not a razor. No wonder we confuse people.

Ezzy
Oh sorry I "CLIP" all my dogs lol :roll: :roll:

sully511

Post by sully511 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:03 pm

You can use a Furminator (or similar product) to get the dead fur out. It works well on the Britts :)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:13 pm

sully511 wrote:You can use a Furminator (or similar product) to get the dead fur out. It works well on the Britts :)
Mars Coat King or similar if there is matting. Or just a plain old razor comb to break it up before the Furminator.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Sell the britt and buy a shorthair or pointer and you.won't have to.... :D :D

AZSetter

Post by AZSetter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:38 pm

My setter likes to be brushed but she loves when I get out the vacuum. I put the brush attachment on and I get tired of it long before she does! I do think I may "clip" her this summer though. She will probably look like a differnt dog because she has alot of orange ticking under that white coat.

Danro

Post by Danro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Best thing I ever bought is a shedding blade, took out incredible amounts of the hair the first time I used it. I'm still gonna shave, sorry clip, him later this month but the blade helped in the mean time.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Casey, I keep looking at your comment about the pig. I think teaching a pig to point or hunt mushrooms can't be much different than teaching her to sing. And I know both have been accomplished. I've taught my lab to sing.... or quite possibly vise versa. I think you should get a pig.....
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:00 am

Hope you all have better clipping skills than my daughter has, she clipped her house dog the other day and when here daughter got home, age 2 1/2, she said " mommy look, Jack has his hair on croocked"! Good luck!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

hosejockey2935

Post by hosejockey2935 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:06 am

sully511 wrote:You can use a Furminator (or similar product) to get the dead fur out. It works well on the Britts :)

I second that! We shave yearly, right about now...better make that call one of these days. Then we use the Furminator to help control the shedding around the turn of the seasons. I like throwing the Furminator in the hunting bag to help get the birrs out of the coat after a day in the field. It is a little pricey, but worth every penny!
~tommy
Sir Ta' Mater of Chaos - Mater

Firebrand's Smoke & Mirrors - Kenzie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3358

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:13 am

Which size furminator do you folks use on Brits??

Cory

hosejockey2935

Post by hosejockey2935 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 am

We have the medium, it seems to be about right. With this size I'm able to get the legs, neck, etc. I think a larger one would limit the "access" in some of those tighter areas

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:00 am

Medium

I also Shave my dogs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 am

Perfect!!

I ordered the medium furminator.

I found it on Amazon for 14.98 SHIPPED!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Cory

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:56 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Medium

I also Shave my dogs
NO knine you clip your dogs ezzy made it clear that we don't shave we clip lol :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :roll: :D

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Oh yes I do before

After
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Its funny how awkward and out of place they look after they are
shaved
down close

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Oh yes I do before

After
Looks good! What kind of razor do you use?

Ezzy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:15 pm

A number 7 blade and I have both Osters and Andes Shavers

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm

You don't find this coat type waves out when it grows back in?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Only if they were spayed or neutered do I ever notice any drastic change in coats and then yes they can look like they were put in the dryer on fluff :lol:

Oh PS Ezzy..I rather see and use the term shaved when closely cutting a dogs coat down as I always think of clipping as prepping for a show but better that then reading that a litter was Out of a male..that one gets me about as much as calling an American Brittany a spaniel :|

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:58 pm

kninebirddog wrote:A number 7 blade and I have both Osters and Andes Shavers
Which do you like better ? I have been a huge fan Andis since I bought my super speed 2 when I was fitting Show cattle, had it for years and it works great I have the wide T-84 on mine.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:25 pm

wills1235 wrote:Casey, I keep looking at your comment about the pig. I think teaching a pig to point or hunt mushrooms can't be much different than teaching her to sing. And I know both have been accomplished. I've taught my lab to sing.... or quite possibly vise versa. I think you should get a pig.....
Totally missed this. I've served my time in swine, having grown up around a bunch of cowhick 4Hers and FFAers. :) Show hogs are clipped, by the way.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Danro

Post by Danro » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:29 pm

kninebirddog wrote:A number 7 blade and I have both Osters and Andes Shavers
that looks a heck of a lot shorter than a number 7. maybe i'm just thinking of this backwards, i thought the smaller the number the shorter it cut?
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:30 pm

My Osters are like 20 years old my Andes are newer the andes run cooler then my Osters ever did

Nice thing is they are interchangeable blades

I go against the grain

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
wills1235 wrote:Casey, I keep looking at your comment about the pig. I think teaching a pig to point or hunt mushrooms can't be much different than teaching her to sing. And I know both have been accomplished. I've taught my lab to sing.... or quite possibly vise versa. I think you should get a pig.....
Totally missed this. I've served my time in swine, having grown up around a bunch of cowhick 4Hers and FFAers. :) Show hogs are clipped, by the way.
And after we clip them we rub em down with baby oil !, says this Former FFA/4-H chapter/Club president !

hosejockey2935

Post by hosejockey2935 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:15 am

kninebirddog wrote:that one gets me about as much as calling an American Brittany a spaniel :|

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I always the offer the expanation as to why they are not spaniels. I've only had one person say, "oh Brittany Setter, I guess I was wrong!" :? Lab people, ugh... JUST KIDDING!!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:22 am

kninebirddog wrote:Only if they were spayed or neutered do I ever notice any drastic change in coats and then yes they can look like they were put in the dryer on fluff :lol:

Oh PS Ezzy..I rather see and use the term shaved when closely cutting a dogs coat down as I always think of clipping as prepping for a show but better that then reading that a litter was Out of a male..that one gets me about as much as calling an American Brittany a spaniel :|
Pretty easy to understand why when they were Brittany Spaniels till just a few years ago, still are in the rest of the world, and most official lists you see on our board or any place on the internet still lists them that way.

I just correct them and explain why and let it go.

Ezzy

britspan

Post by britspan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Use a shed 'n blade.. It pulls the loose hair out and before you realize it there will literally be a pile of loose hair on the ground. Just make sure you use this thing outside or you'll probably clog a vacuum trying to clean up. Dogs get excited over this thing when they see it, I think it feels good to them.
http://www.fourpaws.com/products/four-p ... -blade.htm

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:38 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:Only if they were spayed or neutered do I ever notice any drastic change in coats and then yes they can look like they were put in the dryer on fluff :lol:

Pretty easy to understand why when they were Brittany Spaniels till just a few years ago, still are in the rest of the world, and most official lists you see on our board or any place on the internet still lists them that way.

Ezzy

I think it has been more then a few years..coming on to a few decades ago

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:03 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

I think it has been more then a few years..coming on to a few decades ago
Don't see why its a big deal, your average person wouldn't know about the Spaniel being dropped off the official name