Dog passing gas ? LOL

Brittlver

Dog passing gas ? LOL

Post by Brittlver » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:01 pm

How do you stop a dog from passing gas all the time. I have a 7 month old brittany that is passing gas all the time. Seriously it is none stop. It's one of those smells that kinda of make you throw up a little. How can I stop this or at least slow it down a bit. Don't know how much more I can take before I can smell anything. :roll:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog passing gas ? LOL

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Sounds like an issue you should take up with your vet. May need a food change or some probiotics.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Brittlver wrote:How do you stop a dog from passing gas all the time. I have a 7 month old brittany that is passing gas all the time. Seriously it is none stop. It's one of those smells that kinda of make you throw up a little. How can I stop this or at least slow it down a bit. Don't know how much more I can take before I can smell anything. :roll:
Anytime you are having problems with gas the first thing to do is cut the dog back on feede for a day or two. ((% of the time that will solve it but then start increasing the feed very slowly while watching the dogs condition. If it is staying in good shape you are feeding enough and just keep the pup at that level till you see a change starting and then adjust the amount you are feeding to take care of the pup.

Gas is practically always caused bu overeating. Not only the pup but you too. See if it works.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks for the help. I will try to cut it down in half then go up just a little. We are feeding around 1.5 cups a day once a day. Maybe I will go down to 1 cup. She is at a healthy weight.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Man there is nothing like "basking in the ambiance".... while you start to gag your wife or girlfriend should take notice the smell is coming. So then you have the whole couch and the remote. Win win situation.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Ahhh The Aroma that can put you in a coma :roll:

To much food
Eating food to fast
Type of food..Lamb can really cause gas
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:10 pm

I smell less gas when I feed 2x a day. So probably has something to do with over eating. Also can look at changing to higher calorie food so you don't need to feed as much.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 pm

1.5 cups per day doesn't sound like enough to cause a problem. I think I would try feeding half that amount twice a day for a while. JMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Ya 1.5 is almost nothing. I would try a different food I'm not recommending any unless you want to spend way too much like I do......EVO ..cough ....cough.....

huntcrazed

Post by huntcrazed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:08 am

An experiment with your vets blessing with some metornidazole (flagyl) might be interesting if you notice the gas disappearing a day or two on the med....then you know you should go the full course.
If not a change of food besides adjusting the quantity might be a good option.

Mario

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:32 am

There was a post not long ago where they said ginger helps with gas. If you do a search for ginger I think it was in a thread about diamond EA.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:44 am

Sounds like cutting back on the food is the answer.....or just use a clothespin on your nose, whatever works!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:03 am

ultracarry wrote:I smell less gas when I feed 2x a day. So probably has something to do with over eating. Also can look at changing to higher calorie food so you don't need to feed as much.
Problem is you are feeding just as much of the gas producing elements when doing this. You are trying to cut the pup back to where it is digesting everything fairly quickly.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:34 am

We have 2 that are VERY particular what KIND of food. Every dogs stomach is different. We have tried them all, as you likely will to. 1.5 cups isn't a lot once a day. Try different foods until the stomach settles.

This will be unpopular on this board, but Nutro Natural choice (should be the last thing you try as it is expensive) rice and chicken I have been told is the most mild food you can feed short of cooking rice and making chicken for them.

We Purina One chicken seems to agree with all 4 dogs now, and can be purchased at Sams Club cheap (most of the time). We had allergies with one, and terrible gas with 2 others, on the various foods we tried. This is our off season food for them.

Yours definitely seems like a food type problem, not a quantity, its worth a try.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:39 am

Go buy a pint of Dannon Yogurt{plain} I have a stinky GWP in the office this week, I had to keep the doors open so I could breathe. Gave the pooch some yogurt for the last two days and it is much better in here.

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:42 am

I've confirmed the overeating theory with an unofficial and unplanned test. Last week my wife's dog managed to get into the cabinet where we keep the dog food. We don't really know how much she ate, but the first thing she did when we let her out of that room was to pound water. Not long after that, the gas started -- a room clearing bomb every few minutes. And it continued for several hours after that. So yes, I believe that overfeeding can cause bad gas in dogs. :!: :!:

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:50 am

ultracarry wrote:Ya 1.5 is almost nothing. I would try a different food I'm not recommending any unless you want to spend way too much like I do......EVO ..cough ....cough.....
Nutrua, maker of EVO, was recently bought by Procter & Gamble. Some stores that feature holistic foods are dropping them for fear the formula will be changed to lesser quality ingredients. That is usually what happens to quality foods when they're bought by big companies. I hope that doesn't happen in this case. I guess time will tell.

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:53 am

I would try changing the dog's food. Not all foods work well for all dogs. Try some of the high quality brands that don't have a lot of fillers and by-products. As others have said, monitor how much you are feeding. Some dogs will develop gas and diarrhea if they are being feed too much or food that is too rich.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Prairie Hunter wrote:I would try changing the dog's food. Not all foods work well for all dogs. Try some of the high quality brands that don't have a lot of fillers and by-products. As others have said, monitor how much you are feeding. Some dogs will develop gas and diarrhea if they are being feed too much or food that is too rich.
Every food on the market would fit those qualifications.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:05 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Prairie Hunter wrote:I would try changing the dog's food. Not all foods work well for all dogs. Try some of the high quality brands that don't have a lot of fillers and by-products. As others have said, monitor how much you are feeding. Some dogs will develop gas and diarrhea if they are being feed too much or food that is too rich.
Every food on the market would fit those qualifications.

Ezzy
Yep!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:36 pm

I also would try some different foods.....1.5 cups doesn't sound like enough to be causing the problem. One of my dogs gets very gaseous with certain foods (TOTW being one of them). May have something to do with quantity, but since they both have been free-fed since they were pups I suspect they eat more or less the same amount of whatever food they are on at the time.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 am

I know dogs who get a tab of beano w every feeding. We've tried food change, but the gas continued. Beano helped.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:48 am

That is helpfull, cause when I need to paint a room, I let in the dogs for awhile, they burn the paint right off, then back out to the fenced in area. :)

My son now knows what SBD means :) Silent, but deadly coff coff choke gag.... but in all reality, no dog ever beat my old Man after a friday night of drinking budwiesers and eating rocky mountain oysters :) opening day was torture....... dogs ran away from him....
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:17 am

I know that when we give our dogs raw hides they have gas a lot worse