Diesel trucks? What's your MPG?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Diesel trucks? What's your MPG?

Post by Karen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:16 am

We're shopping. We have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 (quad cab) gasser that we're getting around 11 MPG highway with no trailer, and with my small (2000 lb)trailer and 2 horses is getting in the area of 8.7 mpg. The darned thing has the Hemi in it, so requires mid-grade gas too, which is nearly $4.00 gallon here.

Looks like the ford F250 (2007/2008) with the 6.4 diesels are well priced, but gas mileage really seems to be crappy (11/17). I hear Chevy guys talking about 23 MPG highway (no towing). So what are you driving and what's your REAL MPG?
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

TAK

Re: Diesel trucks? What's your MPG?

Post by TAK » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:27 am

I ave. about 18-20 in my 07 dodge 5.9 cummins/auto. I can get as high as 22ish if I drive no faster than 60mph ease into to exeleration. Towing the 2 horse slant I get no better than 15 or 16 mpg.

Now my 95 dodge cummins/standard add 5 mpg across the board!

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 am

I have a dually F350. Pull a heavy gooseneck w/living qtrs. and 3 horses sometimes 4 but it seems to make no difference in fuel mileage. Depending on how flat the country is and how fast I drive , I will get between 9.5 to 10.5 . Before I went to diesels I pulled this same trailer with a 460 gas Ford. I got between 4 to 5.

ladder63ff

Post by ladder63ff » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 am

Karen wrote:We're shopping. We have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 (quad cab) gasser that we're getting around 11 MPG highway with no trailer, and with my small (2000 lb)trailer and 2 horses is getting in the area of 8.7 mpg. The darned thing has the Hemi in it, so requires mid-grade gas too, which is nearly $4.00 gallon here.

Looks like the ford F250 (2007/2008) with the 6.4 diesels are well priced, but gas mileage really seems to be crappy (11/17). I hear Chevy guys talking about 23 MPG highway (no towing). So what are you driving and what's your REAL MPG?

Save some money and run the 87 octane till you get rid of it. I have the same truck in a 1500 and have no problem on 87 oct. I get about 15mpg on average hand calculated mix city/highway

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:36 am

Ive got a duramax, get 18-20 urban highway, open road for long trips that can climb as high as 22-23 as it did on a 11 hour trip.

pulling my 12,000 lb Travel trailer i get around 11-12. Head winds can eat into that some.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:38 am

Karen -

I bought a 2004 Ford F250 with a 6.0L diesel a couple years back. Over the road without towing I can get around 20-22, if I am a little careful and keep the engine RPM's under 2000.

Towing a 3 horse bumper pull I get about 10-13 MPG over the road depending on conditions. The best I ever got on a trip was about 14MPG towing two horses , 5 dogs and a bunch of stuff including 60+ gallons of water.

My 5.9 L gas engine Dodge 250 gets about 15 MPG over the road if I am careful and got about 9-10 MPG, at best when i was towing my old 2 horse straight load BP.

It is my understanding that diesel trucks later than 2006 have emissions garbage on them which seriously eats into their fuel efficiency.

RayG

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:45 am

we ran 87 octane in my truck, and lost about 1 mpg, which is easily 10%. So nothing gained by going cheap (unfortunately)... I hear you can tweak the tune on the computer to accept the 87, however, the computer in my particular truck is "non-upgradable" and apparently if it were in newer case would qualify for a free replacement for a reprogrammable one.

My real numbers are 12mpg highway, 9 around town. 7.8 around town towing our 2horse BP straight, and maybe 10 max highway with same sled.

I have been lurking on the dodge forums for years, and even posting some, my conclusion is the Cummins is the best engine, but I haven't really seen anyone consistently say it is good on fuel.

I am not a "chevy guy" and Karen not big on chevy either, but I am a realist, and seems to be the best fuel mileage for a diesel tow vehicle, plus owners rave about the allisons. I'd still like to hear some more real world numbers for people not towing, just empty miles. The truck has to serve as a people hauler for about half of its miles, so it makes sense to get something that does both worlds nicely.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

volraider

Post by volraider » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:51 am

04 4 door chevy dually with 4x4 gets 12-13 pulling on highway and 17 empty,

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:38 pm

04 Dodge 2500 4X4, 19.88 mpg most of the time. Hauling the construction trailer 15 to 17. Have a super chip thing that says I can boost MPG. Will try.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:02 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Ive got a duramax, get 18-20 urban highway, open road for long trips that can climb as high as 22-23 as it did on a 11 hour trip.

pulling my 12,000 lb Travel trailer i get around 11-12. Head winds can eat into that some.
Same here.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:41 pm

PkerStr8Tail wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Ive got a duramax, get 18-20 urban highway, open road for long trips that can climb as high as 22-23 as it did on a 11 hour trip.

Same here.
Yup....matches what I get w/ a 2003 Duramax. Also the nice thing about the turbo diesels are that they will pull my 5th wheel over most mountain roads around here without impeding the flow of traffic. Haven't seen many gassers do that......torque is everything!!!

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Have a 2005 Dodge 5.9 cummins/auto 4x4 quad cab. I have been avg. 21-22 at around 65 mph @ 1800-1900 rpms. Pulling my toyhauler I'll get around 15 to 16.I have a after market chip and air filter.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 pm

'02 Chevy Duramax - my mpg average varies with tire pressure and driving. I always run low pressures in the winter and boost it in the summer. If I keep my foot out of it, i.e. <2000 rpms all the time and run tire pressures over 65 psi I get 16-17 around town and 19-20 highway. My truck is not exactly factory stock either.

The secret to good fuel economy in any vehicle is good driving habits and maximized tire pressure. Hence the old disclaimer "your mileage may vary" in the car ads.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 am

Karen - I've been a truck nut for years and though I despised Dodge for a number of years (reliability issues and disliked their cab design), that Cummins is hard to beat and has converted me to being a fan. I'm usually more of a GM guy, but there were a lot of issues with injectors on the Duramax the first few years they were produced. Similarly, though I love the space in the cabs of the Ford Superduties, their 6.0 had a bunch of issues the first couple years as well (2003-2005) - not as familiar with their 6.4 these days. All in all, any diesel truck will last 2-300K easily if taken care of - you will be replacing peripheral truck parts long before the engine goes. It's largely a matter of style/features preference. If I was looking for a used truck in the 2007-8 age range, I'd jump on a 2500 Dodge Cummins with no reservations. Not saying Ford and Chevy would be better or worse, but my experience with these trucks along with the experience of friends and family, points me to the Dodge. JMHO.

* Edit - had a 2005 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins for a while - open road was 22-23mpg, city stop/go traffic was 17-18mpg, towing a 32' fifth wheel was 13-14mpg.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:09 am

Im not smart enough to leave anything alone but my 98 12valve 5.9l cummins mildly modified got about 18-19mpg cruising down the highway and about 14-15 around town.

My current 2000 f250 w/ 7.3l also mildly modified gets between 14.5-16.5 around town depending on how its driven and about 17-19 on the highway and you can figure around 12-14 pulling our 2horse slant.

I probly would look away from the 6.4l ford. I have heard some horror stories about these trucks getting terrible fuel mileage when the emisions system goes through a regen mode. Ive heard stories of 1-2mpg during one of these regen snafus, If your looking at a ford I would be looking at a low mileage well maintained, 7.3 or a 6.0.

I can say that my next one will be a Duramax, I like being able to stand next to a diesel and have a conversation.....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:33 am

Both Shnool and I have Dodges...I have a 2003 Durango with 105K miles, his is the 2004 Ram 2500 with around 125K miles. The freaking things are falling apart! Engines are great, trannys are fine. EVERYTHING ELSE is going! I just got a quote of $1900 to replace the cat and manifold bolts in the durango....IF it goes smoothly, which we all know it won't. Bolts on both sides have broken off into the head already. It'll be a $3K repair, if I'm lucky, so it's for sale. Shnool's truck had the bolts replaced last year.....cost $2K. It's rusting (Dodge got cheap and didn't put in wheel well liners for a couple years). I think we've put $8000 in repairs into the darned thing in the last 3 years. I'm so done with dodge! The Hemi is great...strong, no issues towing, the tranny stinks though. In an attempt to improve the Hemi's lousy gas mileage, it can't seem to pick a gear....ever. I even towed 1 horse with the Durango for 3 years, and it did a great job, but the wear and tear items are killing us now.

I'm not sure I can stomach another dodge. I've had HORRIBLE experiences with Chevy (Quad 4 engine???)...and Shnool had a malibu a few years ago that was a screaming piece of garbage. And when you look at the price of these POS's, I often think I should sell everything (horses, trailer, truck, durango) have all the dogs fixed, and find a new hobby. Shnool reminds me frequently what a nice sailboat he could purchase if we saved our FT/horse money for just 1 year. Oh well, I digress.

Then we've talked about finding the best deal on a 36 or 42 month lease on a quarter ton gasser and doing that for now. The new diesels all seem to be having issues with the new emissions requirements. I have to wonder if they'll improve over the next few years.
ImageImage

volraider

Post by volraider » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:41 pm

If you buy a ford stay away from the 6.0 they had a lot of trouble out of those. The 7.3 was a good motor but they were hard on gas. Late 90's dodge's were probably the best on fuel mileage but hard on front ends. Duramax with an allision is the route to go. IMO

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:27 pm

I drive (2) 1999 F250 4X4's with 7.3 diesel. Summertime driving I get 21 highway 19.2 all around.

Pulling 2 horse bumper-pull loaded I get 14.5.

Heavy trailer drops me down to 11.5-12.0.

I have chips in both and they added roughly 2-3 MPG.

All of my mileages drop about 2.5 MPG when the temps are below freezing.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:22 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Im not smart enough to leave anything alone but my 98 12valve 5.9l cummins mildly modified got about 18-19mpg cruising down the highway and about 14-15 around town.
Exactly what I was gonna say, only I have a 97...

I get around 14-15 towing as well. I don't drive easy.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:50 am

Karen wrote:Both Shnool and I have Dodges...I have a 2003 Durango with 105K miles, his is the 2004 Ram 2500 with around 125K miles. The freaking things are falling apart! Engines are great, trannys are fine. EVERYTHING ELSE is going! I just got a quote of $1900 to replace the cat and manifold bolts in the durango....IF it goes smoothly, which we all know it won't. Bolts on both sides have broken off into the head already. It'll be a $3K repair, if I'm lucky, so it's for sale. Shnool's truck had the bolts replaced last year.....cost $2K. It's rusting (Dodge got cheap and didn't put in wheel well liners for a couple years). I think we've put $8000 in repairs into the darned thing in the last 3 years. I'm so done with dodge! The Hemi is great...strong, no issues towing, the tranny stinks though. In an attempt to improve the Hemi's lousy gas mileage, it can't seem to pick a gear....ever. I even towed 1 horse with the Durango for 3 years, and it did a great job, but the wear and tear items are killing us now.

I'm not sure I can stomach another dodge. I've had HORRIBLE experiences with Chevy (Quad 4 engine???)...and Shnool had a malibu a few years ago that was a screaming piece of garbage. And when you look at the price of these POS's, I often think I should sell everything (horses, trailer, truck, durango) have all the dogs fixed, and find a new hobby. Shnool reminds me frequently what a nice sailboat he could purchase if we saved our FT/horse money for just 1 year. Oh well, I digress.

Then we've talked about finding the best deal on a 36 or 42 month lease on a quarter ton gasser and doing that for now. The new diesels all seem to be having issues with the new emissions requirements. I have to wonder if they'll improve over the next few years.

Ditto on the Dodge! My Dakota starting falling apart before it hit 90k on the odometer, other than the motor and the standard tranny I have replaced nearly every part on this truck, rear axle, steering rack, steering shaft, steering pump, multiple wheel bearing failures, and don't get me started on ball joints and tie rod ends which don't seem to last 12k miles :-( Only reason I keep it is my son needs vehicle to drive until he gets on his feet. I bought a Toyota Tacoma to replace the Dakota as my daily driver and dog truck it just turned 102k and I have yet to replace the brakes on it, still riding on factory ball joints, tie rods, etc etc. If you are towing all the time and can justify the diesel I would buy a GM as much as I hate to say it. I just could never justify spending the extra money on the diesel motor when I knew the truck around the motor was going to fall apart and be worthless far before the engine was past it's useful life.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:59 am

pointshootretrieve wrote:Ditto on the Dodge! My Dakota starting falling apart before it hit 90k on the odometer, other than the motor and the standard tranny I have replaced nearly every part on this truck, rear axle, steering rack, steering shaft, steering pump, multiple wheel bearing failures, and don't get me started on ball joints and tie rod ends which don't seem to last 12k miles :-( Only reason I keep it is my son needs vehicle to drive until he gets on his feet. I bought a Toyota Tacoma to replace the Dakota as my daily driver and dog truck it just turned 102k and I have yet to replace the brakes on it, still riding on factory ball joints, tie rods, etc etc. If you are towing all the time and can justify the diesel I would buy a GM as much as I hate to say it. I just could never justify spending the extra money on the diesel motor when I knew the truck around the motor was going to fall apart and be worthless far before the engine was past it's useful life.
This is kind of the point I'm at. Which keeps me coming back to leasing a gasser for 36 or 42 months, giving it back before the warranty ever expires, and leasing another. The truck isn't our daily driver. We use it for towing to field trials and when one of the other vehicles is in the shop, so keeping the annual mileage inside the leasing constraints won't be an issue. It just seems like we could pay a nice hefty car payment with all the $$ we put into patching the "bleep" truck back together every year.
ImageImage

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:57 am

Karen -

If you primarly use the truck as a tow vehicle, I urge you to look for a used 2006 diesel 3/4 ton. You can probably get a very nice vehicle with under 50K mileage from a dealer. I see no reason to pay the new vehicle premium for something you use only occasionally.

Two years ago I bought my 2004 Ford(4 door crew cab, 4X4) for 21K including a 2 year extended warranty, from a new car dealer. It had 60K on it when I bought it. I expect to have it for many years to come since I mostly use it for towing the trailer.

You might be able to do the same or better, now that diesel prices have almost doubled since I bought mine.

Just something to consider.

RayG

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:53 am

Karen:
I just bought that 04 dodge cummins 4X4 with 143,000 miles. It is strong and other than it had no cat. converter and a short in the rear wiring (ground) Bought As is. 13,499.00 with a Boss Vplow.

I also saw an immaculate, loaded, really pretty ford 06 or 07, 250 4X4 with Boss Vplow with the 6.0 liter with 56,000 miles and a cap.
Beautiful truck. $25,000 dollars.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick