Training Collars

dukslayer888

Training Collars

Post by dukslayer888 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:25 pm

I dont know much about training collars....could anyone give me any information on what kind and where I could get a good collar for relatively cheep.....around 150 or less.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:29 pm

For $150 I think you should look at eBay. You can usually find brand new in the box collars there, and for that price you should be able to find a decent one dog system. Look for a SportDog 1200, a Dogtra 1200 or 1700, a TriTronics G2 system, or similar collar.

As for which actual collar would be best for you... think about whether you'll need a waterproof transmitter or just a water-resistant one (do you ever go near ponds or rivers, or train or hunt in the rain?) and how far out your dog ranges. Then, after comparison shopping certain features, pick the collar of each major brand that you would want and compare them all. Read some reviews on them, consider price and 'bang for the buck,' quality and workmanship, etc. Eventually, select the collar and then go hunting for the best price.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

gusto

Post by gusto » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:56 am

I have trained using Tritronics field 70 and Dogtra 2000. I bought a Sportdog 1 yr ago and im so impressed with this collar. For the money you cant beat it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:14 am

I trained my setter using the Tritronics sport 50 G2. After using this collar and seeing some other firends collars I wont go to any other brand. I recomend saving your money and buying a Tri-Tronics collar.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:23 am

As for what brands are to be deemed best, it's all personal preference. I prefer the Dogtra 1700. I've used the SportDog 1200 and find it very nice as well. I've not used a TriTronics or DT collar, but I believe that either brand would also be adequate. The only exception is Innotek. I've really not heard anything good about that brand, but I haven't ever used one myself so I can't comment negatively from personal experience.

In my experience, SportDog collars work nicely and are usually the cheapest (cheap not being a reference to quality). And because most brands are fully adequate, I feel that the extra expense of some of the brands pays for the name and nothing else.

As above, I really like my Dogtra 1700. The leg up that it has on other collars is that it has a tri-color led on both the collar and transmitter to show the remaining battery power (and a battery gauge on the transmitter for more specific power readings). In that case, the extra expense added a unique feature that I really like and didn't have on the SportDog 1200.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:03 am

I have used the Tri Tronics, DT systems and Sportdog Brand. I am sold on the Sportdog Brand. I am currently running the the SD1800 with two dogs. My buddy runs the SD400 and loves it. The SD400 will run you around $150. It also has the tone feature that I really like. The only draw back, if you could call it one, is it does not have the range of other collars. I think it is 400 yards. The SD1800 has longer range 3/4 mile but is priced higher. All Sportdog brands have a life time warranty and the customer service is excellent. I run 2 Sportdog beepers also and after two years one of them quit working and I called customer service at Sportdog and they sent me the newer version at no charge and no questions. The other one is still going strong. Anyway that is my experience. Good luck.

zachsdad

Post by zachsdad » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:57 pm

I just bought a Sport Dog 2400 Pro Hunter with two colllar/transmiters on ebay today for $132.50. Less than a year old. Even though it is not a multi dog unit, how can you go wrong with an extra collar?

There was a Tri Tronics Sport 50 I believe it was that was $117 last time I checked with a couple of hours to go. Came with original packaging, manuals and all and they said it had been used maybe a dozen times.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:38 am

On a Majority which brad would you say most people use and like?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:44 am

I bought a sd1800 and added a second collar, so far it is holding up fine, has a 3/4 mile range etc. And I got it off ebay for 150.00

I used to use DTs and like the warrenty on the sd it has replaceable batteries (rechareable) etc.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935