Bad Judges

Joe Amatulli

Bad Judges

Post by Joe Amatulli » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:00 am

I think I know the answer, but I just want to make sure. Can an advertized judge be removed by a club in either American Field or AKC and if so how and under what circumstance?

Brittguy

Re: Bad Judges

Post by Brittguy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:08 am

You can make judge changes with AKC approval. Don't know the procedure , but I have seen judge changes at the last minute when I am pretty sure they could not have contacted AKC. They probably just notified AKC asap.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 am

In AKC it's usually advertised that any judges can be replaced. AF can do it also I think.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 am

From the book
SECTION 2. Substitute Judges. A substitute Judge
may be appointed by the Field Trial Committee holding
the trial if it is impossible for an advertised Judge
to fulfill or complete his assignment. Such substitute
or additional Judges shall be persons who are in good
standing with The American Kennel Club. Prompt
notification shall be sent to the AKC, in advance of the
trial if possible, of any substitute Judges officiating at
a licensed or member trial, and of the reasons for the
change.
If a substitute judge is used in a stake where the premium
states the number of entries in the trial are limited
in any way, anyone that has entered that stake is entitled
to withdraw their entry and receive a full refund of their
entry fee. Out of courtesy, the trial secretary shall be notified
of this action as soon as possible. No entries may be
withdrawn for this reason once the stake has started.

Be careful what you use as the reason for the change.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:53 am

I am curious why he was asked in the first place? Certainly must be well known problem because I cannot imagine removing a judge because one or two people complained.I bet we all have run under someone we would not have chosen.
Just tell him how you feel and I bet he will not want to judge :)
Last edited by Brittguy on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:10 am

Joe Amatulli wrote:I think I know the answer, but I just want to make sure. Can an advertized judge be removed by a club in either American Field or AKC and if so how and under what circumstance?
I think you would have to come up with a valid reason other than "Bad Judge". If that was the real reason he wouldn't have been hired in the first place. So there would have to be a valid reason for removing him that was unknown by the FT committee.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:15 am

Joe,

Per Don Paltani at an AKC judges seminar a few years back a judge can be removed by the committee for what I would call "gross misconduct". The examples put forward were basically ones of obvious disregard for AKC rules; i.e. refusing to wear blaze orange for a kill on course stake, judging dogs that he/she had handled within the last year, etc.

Basically, the committee can fire a judge at any time, but they better have their stuff together and be able to defend it.

FYI,
Dave

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Without getting into details, if you had a judge that showed a strong and deliberate bias toward a breed, or a dog, or a particular individual, can a field trial committee remove him as a judge? I am also asking this because I was involved a number of years ago where the stake manger was contemplating removing one judge and I have been a championships that a judge seemed to develop a real bad attitude, not really interested in looking at any dogs. In that case a letter was writen to the NGSPA, but nothing ever came of it.

This time David Joe is trying to be tack full another words Joe is trying NOT to be Joe. :wink:

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 pm

I would say if bias like that is the reason, the committee would want a pretty solid, verifiable defense for removing him. Basically, hearsay that the judge doesn't use a certain breed or so-and-so's dogs probably isn't enough. Are there witnesses that can attest to comments made by the judge that indicate bias?

In terms of the AKC, in my experience, when they ask for an explanation, if they receive a well-thought out, reasonable response, they more often than not let the event committee's decision stand. They are not inclined to get their hands dirty and overturn any decisions, reprimand anyone, etc, if they don't absolutely have to. JMHO.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"