I was wowed today but not in a good way

markj
GDF Junkie

I was wowed today but not in a good way

Post by markj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:07 pm

I sent an email to a DK kennel simply asking how much, send an emaikl says a phone interview is needed. I reply I am at work and cant call now. 5 minutes later my cell rings, its a gal from that kennel, she right off asks me why I breed with out testing. Went south fast, all I wanted was a price. What the heck is all of this about? Is a DK type dog alien? she went on about lawyers and breeding etc cant be AKC reged etc. I ask about FCI reg, she says wont give it out lawyers etc... blah blah blah.

What is with these new DK owners? its a dog, wasnt after her daughter just a price on a dog. :) I hung up. can find a great dog without all that drama.

Funny thing is my in laws are headed for germany as she is from there as is my wife :) and her Uncle is a jager can hunt with a gun :) he told me two years ago, sure come I get you dogs like you never seen. :) so why the thing with the folks doing the dk stuff in America.

I just dont get it. They all came from Germany :) sure soured my day. Never had a breeder yell at me cause I had a black shorthair and bred him....
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: I was wowed today but not in a good way

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:01 pm

I am sorry you had a bad experience. It does not surprise me, however.

My personal opinion is that other than Chick, very little good came stateside from Germany after the War. Exports were either worn out or second rate in the studbook. Of course, I am partial to Danish blood and not fond of black, but I have no issue with the choices of others.

In all seriousness, there is breed of dog fancier who is a bit full of themselves and everything else. You find them a lot in rare breeds and varieties. They think that restricting access to their animals somehow makes the mutts more worthy.

Anyhoo, I hope your weekend is better. Maybe that phone call was a miraculous sign you shouldn't be dog shopping at work. :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Thats too bad Mark I was even interested for you. :D :D :D

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:53 pm

markj wrote:Never had a breeder yell at me cause I had a black shorthair and bred him....
Hmmmmm......if I remember my "Shorthair History" lessons, the black (schwarz) DKs were just as much a part of the German Studbook (Zuchtbuch) as the brown (braun) DKs post introduction of the Arkwright Pointers. I believe that initially the crosses were kept separately in the Zuchtbuch as Prussian Kurhaars, but after several generations were included back into the DK section of the Zuchtbuch.

Maybe this breeder needs to study a bit about the breed she is trying to protect....

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 am

Just never had a dog breeder do that. I have spoken with other DKV people and they also wish to not have akc reg only navhda and nadkc. Maybe they are scared to run head to head competition, I told her in akc field trials only one wins it, it isnt everyone gets a ribbon :) But on the other hand, many germans would love to export a DK to our country or any country for that matter. Oh well, it didnt ruin my weekend. I wasnt wanting to buy it, just wanted to know how much they were asking for one. Window shopping :)
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:21 am

markj wrote:Just never had a dog breeder do that. I have spoken with other DKV people and they also wish to not have akc reg only navhda and nadkc. Maybe they are scared to run head to head competition, I told her in akc field trials only one wins it, it isnt everyone gets a ribbon :) But on the other hand, many germans would love to export a DK to our country or any country for that matter. Oh well, it didnt ruin my weekend. I wasnt wanting to buy it, just wanted to know how much they were asking for one. Window shopping :)
I doubt if it ruined her weekend either. I bet she was impressed with your knowledge of field trialing and all the blue ribbons you've collected though! Tire kickers are easy to spot...........:mrgreen:

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Tire kickers are easy to spot...........
Yes, and I made it clear in my introductory email that I wasnt going to buy a pup, just was wondering how much one was. I get an email saying I need to call, then not two minutes go by and a call on my cell.

Is this how you would sell a pup? Just asking cause I dont really breed and sell pups.

The tone of the conversation was she on the attack, me wondering why am I being asked these questions? I asked if I could speak, told her I would do AKC before I would do DK and I dont test my dogs in either. Some of my dogs offspring have and have done OK.

I guess that I feel the whole thing was wierd, crazy and rude. As far as a marketing thing, didnt make me want one......
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm

markj wrote:
Tire kickers are easy to spot...........
Yes, and I made it clear in my introductory email that I wasnt going to buy a pup, just was wondering how much one was. I get an email saying I need to call, then not two minutes go by and a call on my cell.

Is this how you would sell a pup? Just asking cause I dont really breed and sell pups.

The tone of the conversation was she on the attack, me wondering why am I being asked these questions? I asked if I could speak, told her I would do AKC before I would do DK and I dont test my dogs in either. Some of my dogs offspring have and have done OK.

I guess that I feel the whole thing was wierd, crazy and rude. As far as a marketing thing, didnt make me want one......
Not the way I would have done it, if that was the context of your e-mail I probably wouldn' t reply and sure wouldn't have called you. Weird and crazy alright, but I find it rather rude to inquire about someone's pups by asking how much. Think about it.........even if you were interested in buying, after the way you approached her there was no way she was going to sell you a pup.

JMO

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:21 pm

What I don't understand is why some one would advertise pups for sale and not list a price. Instead they will say call or email. What I'm saying is the better your description (pedigree, pics, price, location) the less tire kickers you will have. Lack of info just invites tire kickers. For example, if the price was listed this whole situation would have been avoided. That reminds me...I need to add a location :roll: .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:35 pm

There's a reason people are seeking out DKs. Most brag about the DKs in their GSPs pedigree.
Can't say what was going on with that breeder. Sorry for the negative experience.
What I believe happens is that people get sold on the testing and the quality it produces, or can produce,and make it a way of life.
Once someone is in the German system it is easy to become frustrated with poor quality breedings,breeders who know nothing and say they know it all, claim this and that,etc....
Try to walk away(or run away) with the sense of dedication that breeder has for her kennel. As uncouth as she was.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:28 pm

There's a reason people are seeking out DKs
May be a lot of reasons, that part I dont really care about, the dogs rankings spoke for themselves, both are KS dogs, done in Austria, but that is their hobby. Not mine, I like to hunt.

I also think addding a price is a good thing, way more than I can spend? look elsewhere, price is in my range, then we talk further. And why would a seller not wait until the buyer could call unless seller wanted to sell....

The pup I just bought has everything I want in a dog, wasnt hard to buy either. The folks that sell pups here are a lot nicer and a lot easier to deal with thats a big for sure. She is getting big and a lot of fun.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Ron R wrote:What I don't understand is why some one would advertise pups for sale and not list a price. Instead they will say call or email. What I'm saying is the better your description (pedigree, pics, price, location) the less tire kickers you will have. Lack of info just invites tire kickers. For example, if the price was listed this whole situation would have been avoided. That reminds me...I need to add a location :roll: .

I don't necessarily agree with that thought Ron. Most tire kickers I get are concerned with price, not understanding that the initial price is the least you will ever spend on the dog. I prefer not to list the price, if people are interested in BUYING then price is not an issue.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:14 pm

topher40 wrote:I don't necessarily agree with that thought Ron. Most tire kickers I get are concerned with price
They (tire kickers) are going to do what they do. I have found that I've had the best luck avoiding them was to not offer an email address, just a phone #. BTW, not too long ago I noticed that you had a very nice litter for sale at a very reasonable price. I hope that you had luck with them.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:39 pm

The last of the litter left today, thanks! I agree with leaving only a number, I hate emails. Hard to sell a dog over email. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 pm

I gotta tell you, Mark, this is an old theme, as you know. To AKC and AF people, they all came from Germany. To DK people it is existential war, and "nonpure" dogs and breeds should not be allowed to exist. After listening to it for 50 years or so, it sure gets old.

I used to think we were all just dog people. I have been told so many times that we are not the same, and that theirs are purer, that I am sick of it.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:18 am

it sure gets old
As we all are :) the rudeness these days, when did that become fashion? :)
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935