How Do You Deal With a Dog In Heat?

Grousehunter74

How Do You Deal With a Dog In Heat?

Post by Grousehunter74 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:25 pm

OK - so I put up a post a while back with regards to spaying a female dog at 6 months or 18ish months - lots of responses.

My pup is 5 months old now and I've got a decision. I'd like to wait, my Wife would like to have the dog spayed.

My part of the dog is a bird dog. The other half of the dog is family dog and it is a house dog - which means, if we wait for spaying, the dog is going to be in heat while in our house and under our feet. This is why my Wife want's to go ahead and have the dog spayed - she doesn't want to deal with a house dog in heat!

How does one have a dog in the house, in the living room, amongst other places and keep from having a mess when the dog is in heat.

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: How Do You Deal With a Dog In Heat?

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Dog pants. Send your wife in for the stuff to put in them. Show dog people do it all the time.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Grousehunter74 wrote:OK - so I put up a post a while back with regards to spaying a female dog at 6 months or 18ish months - lots of responses.

My pup is 5 months old now and I've got a decision. I'd like to wait, my Wife would like to have the dog spayed.

My part of the dog is a bird dog. The other half of the dog is family dog and it is a house dog - which means, if we wait for spaying, the dog is going to be in heat while in our house and under our feet. This is why my Wife want's to go ahead and have the dog spayed - she doesn't want to deal with a house dog in heat!

How does one have a dog in the house, in the living room, amongst other places and keep from having a mess when the dog is in heat.

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.
Petsmart has disposable doggie diapers..IF she wants to try and chew on them go to walmart and get the Stop pain spray in the pharmacy area and lightly spray the outside of the diaper I have yet to see a dog like that stuff works better then the bitter apple spray :lol:

Tell wife it is only a couple heat cycles..Or if you are daring tell her you deal with her it is only fair she deals with your Female moment...PS Hope you are in a warmer climate if you dare say the second one or have a good sleeping bag for the dog house :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Crate them if nothing else. Mine stays out in a run during the day and is crated in the basement at night. Otherwise she spends a lot of time in the house.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Really, just get the pants. You can use them later if you want to raise goats. The dog in the video was clicker trained, by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNr2r8rFxK0

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:17 pm

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... erralID=NA

Disposable that way you take off and trashem don't have to take off any nasty liner or in case of an accident again much easier to contend with , with the disposable. Will make the wife happier since she won't have to wash the dirty ones
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:34 pm

I have had females in the house that kept themselves so clean that we have never found a trace of blood except maybe a drop or two on their bed. Maybe you will have this problem

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:50 am

I have never really had a "mess" issue, just used bitch pants from petsmart and its only about a week or two every 6-8 months so its not a real issue in most cases BUT you need to be more concerned about keeping males away and her away from them so be cautious during her heat unless you want pups..mine get either boarded at the vet or alot of crate and basement time seperate from the other dogs cause they all get on edge when a bitch is in heat....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:24 am

To anyone contemplating neutering/spaying your pup (and I have nothing against it)....PLEASE, do your homework. Most vets will want to "snip" them ASAP (after all it is $300 worth) but there are some considerations. Dogs neutered too young have disrupted growth patterns. Males will often not develop male characteristics (larger head, more bone, etc) and many pups grow larger/leggier than they would have otherwise (growth plates do not close normally). From all I have learned, most breeds should be 13-15 months of age before they are neutered or spayed. Bitches should go through the first heat and males should reach their mature height (generally 15 months sometimes more). Do some research on the internet. My contacts in vet medicine research also agree that bone growth is better (denser, stronger) when dogs are not neutered til later.

There's a lot of info available on the internet...this article is pretty good
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10 ... 31.11.1665

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:54 am

What JKP said x2.

Handling a girl in heat really isn't THAT big of a deal. Get panties for them and that takes care of any potential mess. If they won't wear the panties, crate them. Do not let them outside unsupervised, and if there are intact males in the same house, keep them separated from the girl at all times.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:28 am

JKP wrote:To anyone contemplating neutering/spaying your pup (and I have nothing against it)....PLEASE, do your homework. Most vets will want to "snip" them ASAP (after all it is $300 worth) but there are some considerations. Dogs neutered too young have disrupted growth patterns. Males will often not develop male characteristics (larger head, more bone, etc) and many pups grow larger/leggier than they would have otherwise (growth plates do not close normally). From all I have learned, most breeds should be 13-15 months of age before they are neutered or spayed. Bitches should go through the first heat and males should reach their mature height (generally 15 months sometimes more). Do some research on the internet. My contacts in vet medicine research also agree that bone growth is better (denser, stronger) when dogs are not neutered til later.

There's a lot of info available on the internet...this article is pretty good
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10 ... 31.11.1665

That is why grousehunter wants to wait but the wife is not understanding that part

Also the link you used says the article is no longer availble

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:01 am

We have a 19 month old GSP female who has gone into heat twice. She is a wonderful hunting dog but is also a loved member of the family. Crating her for an entire month is not an option for us. She weighs approx 52 pounds so what we do is purchase little boys size 6-8 camo boxer brief underwear, I cut a hole for her tail and place an "Always" panty liner in them. I can easily put a new pad in everyday and the underwear are easily washable. After a day or so she practically forgets she has them on in the house.

I keep a blog on Cleo and did a post a month or so ago on dealing with her being in heat. If you click on the link you'll see her with her undies on. I joke around about it being awful but it really isn't that bad. Good luck on making your decision.
http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eason.html
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:25 am

Check into boarding her for a few weeks.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:59 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Really, just get the pants. You can use them later if you want to raise goats. The dog in the video was clicker trained, by the way.

Thats just wrong. :lol: :lol: That poor BT is not looking happy.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:17 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Really, just get the pants. You can use them later if you want to raise goats. The dog in the video was clicker trained, by the way.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:43 am

My wife has a pair of mini dachshounds :x, one of them is intact, and when she has her hear cycles other than being a little goofy and chasing her "tail" she is not that big of an issue, as has been previously stated, she keeps herself fairly clean. My problem with having her in the house during her heat cycle is that she drives my poor GSP male crazy.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:12 pm

We actually just by Diapers. Cut a whole for the tail and slap them on. It really isn't that hard to keep it clean :0) Good luck!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

anb

Post by anb » Sun May 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Hasn't been too much of a problem for us either. I just put a towel under her when she gets on any furniature, and wipe up the occasional drop from the floor. Haven't tried the underwear/diaper yet, but sounds like a great idea when visiting.
good luck, its really not that bad!
-Andrea-