My setter pup video...

4ShotB

My setter pup video...

Post by 4ShotB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am

Blaze has been with me since early in March. I have had him exposed to birds three times now. This video is his 3rd trip and was filmed by Hunter Payne at GunDog Development here in Tn. Blaze and I didn't know he was being filmed but I get a kick out of watching it. Hope y'all enjoy as well. He's my first dog and it's been quite an adventure thus far.

http://youtu.be/mEAwSvazhlU

baileydog2007

Re: My setter pup video...

Post by baileydog2007 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 am

So did you let the pup eat a bird??? Is that a normal training step to take? And OK to let the pup flush the birds at that age??

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:57 am

nice vid. good looking dog too. :)

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:12 am

baileydog2007 wrote:So did you let the pup eat a bird??? Is that a normal training step to take? And OK to let the pup flush the birds at that age??
he did not eat any birds, but managed to catch one. your second question I'll leave to the experts on here. As I said, I'm a complete novice. the idea was/is just getting exposed to some birds early without any pressure or training. whether that's the correct way or not i can't say....i do know the pup really enjoys these outings.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 am

Looks and sounds like you and Blaze are havin a blast :D thanks for sharing the video, he looks like he has lots of style on his points!!....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:37 am

Great video!

Out of curiosity, what was used to capture the video?

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:40 am

cmc274 wrote:Great video!

Out of curiosity, what was used to capture the video?
Not sure, I'll find out.i do know it was a relatively small handheld device.I didn't realize that he was being filmed, i thought Hunter was just snapping some photos.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:38 am

That was fun to watch. That little dog got more confident with each bird.

If you look at the first contact of that session the dogs tail was a little crooked the posture was just a little like OOOH, what is that? Then after his chase and capture his tail and body posture was stronger.

For me that was the perfect set up and results. Just what I do with my pups. It is always best to have good flying birds, but if they catch a couple not to big a deal and don't make it a big deal. Of course as the dog gets older and leggier, faster he will be more apt to catch more birds, that you do not want. IMO.

Thanks for sharing that. Made me smile today.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:09 pm

4shotB,

Great little video and very good pup by the way, I enjoyed the video very very much. Now that he is trying to catch the bird after pointing, when he breaks point
the next time, make sure you are close enough to catch him immediately, pick him up buy the collar and tails, and set him back down where he broke point from.
Even at an early age good Setter dogs understand thru repetition what the boss wants. Beautiful pup with brains and a lot of point, real nice genetic imprint, bold as he should be learning his hunting habitat. Great stuff sir. May I ask sir which Setter blood line you purchased from.
RGD/Dave

Here is what happens when you play train in this manner, the pup stands point even at 12 weeks, when pointing a wild Grouse. Just the smell alone will
lock a good Setter pup up, so you can walk up and flush the bird. Play training repetition is the key. Heston has his own play world with wild Grouse, just outside the front
door of our mountain facility, all this play type training makes for a serious Grouse dog down stream.

Heston our Ryman Setter pup on Grouse point at 12 weeks of age, we walked up and flushed the Grouse hidden at the far end of the downed log. Heston
stood and watched the Grouse fly away. Needless to say we are very happy with Heston.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:4shotB,

Even at an early age good Setter dogs understand thru repetition what the boss wants. Beautiful pup with brains and a lot of point, real nice genetic imprint, bold as he should be learning his hunting habitat. Great stuff sir. May I ask sir which Setter blood line you purchased from.
RGD/Dave

Heston our Ryman Setter pup on Grouse point at 12 weeks of age, we walked up and flushed the Grouse hidden at the far end of the downed log. Heston
stood and watched the Grouse fly away. Needless to say we are very happy with Heston.
this dog came from Berg Brothers (BB) in Minnesota. Scott and Ben were good people to work with and the sire/dam of Blaze was BB High Roller and Sidney. The sire/dam of High Roller was BB Jack and BB Hyklass.Of sidney it was Walnut Ridge EZ and Wildweed's Flyin' High. I don't know much about setter bloodlines or the dogs I've mentioned but I'm liking my pup a bunch. i picked this dog after speaking with (or PM'img) several folks on this site and then talking to the Bergs.This site was a very valuable tool for me and I'm grateful to have found it.

Nice looking pup there in Heston Ryman. I want my dog to become a good grouse dog as well.

Danro

Post by Danro » Sat May 07, 2011 12:37 am

heck of a pup, congrats
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sat May 07, 2011 6:25 am

Great pup and a great video!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 am

I enjoyed that very much.
Handsome dog
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett