"THE GREEN THING"

dlfl

"THE GREEN THING"

Post by dlfl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 am

"THE GREEN THING"

In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes.

Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you.

When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water.

They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service.

They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a
computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?
Dіck

gittrdonebritts

Re: "THE GREEN THING"

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:19 am

Don't forget about walking uphill both ways to school in the rain and snow !

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:26 am

So true, AND back then you had a house phone for 20 years, not a new cell phone every year or outdated computers and video games after 1 year either....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Come on now, tvs were so small cause there was nothing on :) and in black and white..... we did walk to school, was 1.5 miles flat both ways but we took our shotguns and ammo, teacher put them into the closet, we hunted our way home. We grew up farmers, we worked bean fields for 10 cents an hour, picked tassels off corn plants for the same. Fished the elkhorn and ate fish we caught 2 or 3 times a week. No corner store, once a month we went to town and stocked up, was a long drive, we hung over the lowered station wagon rear door and watched the road pass by. :) we re used our "cans" cause we canned every year, no tin cans on our place :) we didnt eat store bought veggies, or jelly, or jam, or apples, or eggs, or chickens, or beef we did our own. Seems we went to the store for stuff like coffee, sugar, flour the staples.

Dogs were rated by how they worked wild birds for a hunter them days. :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:25 pm

While the clerk's comments were inappropriate, I have to say anyone who is old enough to remember some of the things mentioned may not need to be driving.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:While the clerk's comments were inappropriate, I have to say anyone who is old enough to remember some of the things mentioned may not need to be driving.
:lol: SERIOUSLY, i gotta say you say the funniest sh!! :lol: ....ruth

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:While the clerk's comments were inappropriate, I have to say anyone who is old enough to remember some of the things mentioned may not need to be driving.
Someone so young and uninformed as to make such a comment might not be so safe behind the wheel either... :P

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Washing machines are 110v
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:51 pm

displaced_texan wrote:Washing machines are 110v
Driers run on 220. Leastways where I come from they do.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 pm

slistoe wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:Washing machines are 110v
Driers run on 220. Leastways where I come from they do.
Yeah, I read it is washing machine is 220v :mrgreen:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm

I remember those days and I drive just fine. My grandkids can't believe that at one time I did not have an indoor bath room and used sears and montgomery ward catalogs for toilet paper. Ya, I remember those days when we returned the glass bottles to be used over again and hanging clothes on the line [my wife still does that sometimes] and while I am spoiled and like our modern conveniences, I feel fortunate to have had the experience. I am pretty sure there are several members on here that remember those days too and it hasn't impaired our driving one bit!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Remember those days? Clothes went on the line yesterday. Nice to have the spring weather finally. The beer bottles get refilled every time I make a new batch. Still eating the potatoes from last years garden and will have enough for seed this year.
Unfortunately I do still have to drive.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:24 pm

birddogger wrote:
I remember those days and I drive just fine. My grandkids can't believe that at one time I did not have an indoor bath room and used sears and montgomery ward catalogs for toilet paper. Ya, I remember those days when we returned the glass bottles to be used over again and hanging clothes on the line [my wife still does that sometimes] and while I am spoiled and like our modern conveniences, I feel fortunate to have had the experience. I am pretty sure there are several members on here that remember those days too and it hasn't impaired our driving one bit!

Charlie
That's what they all say about the time we are calling AAA to retrieve their keys, lift them off the median or tow them out of our front window. :)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Kmack wrote:
Someone so young and uninformed as to make such a comment might not be so safe behind the wheel either... :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

@gitterdonebritts You forgot the barefoot part gees
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:15 pm

That's what they all say about the time we are calling AAA to retrieve their keys, lift them off the median or tow them out of our front window.
You don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. Arrogance and knowing it all goes along with youth, but remember this, don't take youth for granted because it doesn't last. That is not a bad thing though because then you will realize that you didn't know half of what you thought you did. :)

Charlie

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:28 pm

birddogger wrote:
That's what they all say about the time we are calling AAA to retrieve their keys, lift them off the median or tow them out of our front window.
You don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. Arrogance and knowing it all goes along with youth, but remember this, don't take youth for granted because it doesn't last. That is not a bad thing though because then you will realize that you didn't know half of what you thought you did. :)

Charlie
And I am how old?

When someone drives off and leaves their walker on the sidewalk, it's time for reconsidering their transportation. This happened at my work about a month ago.

As far as the topic at hand, the "Green" movement is a huge marketing ploy. You don't need green if you don't have wanton consumption. I love the "recycled content" products, like dog kennels that reuse plastic trimmings repeatedly until the new item is too brittle to withstand any abuse whatsoever. Dog toys are like that, too. People buy "green" toys that are destroyed and then throw them out. One of my biggest sellers is a cordura sleeve you use to "recycle" a water bottle into a dog toy. Guess what, you still throw the bottle away in the end, but now you will eventually have a piece of shredded cordura to dispose of, too. But, the concept sells. Drink tap water and give the mutt your holey socks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Its kind of like a glimps of the past to remember when I was as young and foolish as you Casey. Think I had better manners though and didn't tell everyone how stupid I really was.

It's very true you are better equiped physically but as you can see from reading many many of your posts on here that mentally you still have some catching up to do. But don't worry you will catch up.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 am

Hey! I get the impression you are pretty young. I was born in '46 and I remember all those things. Add on "no pre packaged food". Everything cooked from scratch. 7 kids who were fed by what Dad shot and killed.
And yes , starting in grade 1 , I walked 1.5 miles to school and back all year. Not one kid driven by car and dropped off. :) NO fat kids.

PS I'm still driving well. :wink:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:58 am

What is not funny but sad instead, is how some folks think they've just made a joke that many others seem to find annoying & sarcastic.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

GSPdude

Post by GSPdude » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:45 am

None of the happy conditions in the OP are obsolete. The fact that they are not as prevelant today speaks mostly to the market and supply and demand. I for one would LOVE to reuse every bit of packaging, and for everyone to tear out their lawns and plant vegetable gardens. I think our grandparents and greatgrandprents had it right. Of course there was far fewer of them, and most of them made do with a lot less money. And they didn't have plastic or Wal-Mart....

How many of you collect and re-load your own shells? (Not meant to be insulting. Really...just curious if that is something people do anymore....)
"A gun gives you the body, not the bird"
-H D Thoreau

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:06 am

My grandfather lost his license at 85 my he went through a yield sign and got into an accident. We took away the keys from my grandma at age 91. My great uncle nearly lost his life at age 90 we he pulled out in front of a semi. All of them thought they drove just fine.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 am

I remember when i was 19 in the backseat after my cousins wedding, my grandma was driving and my uncle was drunk in the passanger seat, my grandma was swerving all over the road and i yelled at her "grandma your all over the road, your gonna get us killed"and my uncle said "quiet back there, shes driving just fine" :roll: ...ruth :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:32 am

GSPdude wrote:None of the happy conditions in the OP are obsolete. The fact that they are not as prevelant today speaks mostly to the market and supply and demand. I for one would LOVE to reuse every bit of packaging, and for everyone to tear out their lawns and plant vegetable gardens. I think our grandparents and greatgrandprents had it right. Of course there was far fewer of them, and most of them made do with a lot less money. And they didn't have plastic or Wal-Mart....

How many of you collect and re-load your own shells? (Not meant to be insulting. Really...just curious if that is something people do anymore....)
I believe you defined a big part of the problem. WalMart. Selling "green" products that don't last is a biggie for them.

As far as shells, I pick up bunches of them left lying on the WMA where I run my dogs. I throw them away. I don't know anyone who would use them.

windswept

Post by windswept » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I believe you defined a big part of the problem. WalMart.
It's funny how so many people bash Walmart yet they are only successful because people flock to them in droves. I wonder how many of the haters actually shop there.
For the most part the green thing is all hype and image anyway. Just be responsible and do the right thing.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Sharon wrote:
Well, you are marginally old enough to be my mother, but it would have raised a few eyebrows. As far as the driving thing, get an objective second opinion. I have several offered weekly based on my parking skills.
LOL Well, if I was your Mother I'd ................................... :D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:23 pm

windswept wrote:
It's funny how so many people bash Walmart yet they are only successful because people flock to them in droves. I wonder how many of the haters actually shop there.
For the most part the green thing is all hype and image anyway. Just be responsible and do the right thing.
I think I've been in one once in the past year, so I'm pretty faithful to the cause. Sometimes you do need deskunker at two in the morning, though.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:00 pm

windswept wrote:
Right on. As far as Walmart goes they do the same thing every other store does. If you want to know who to blame look in the mirror.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

steamer

Post by steamer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 pm

heck here in CI if you live in a small town you ethier go to WM or drive way out of the way to a bigger city at 4 bucks a gallon most of the time its WM plus you get to say your being green by driving less. we do have a BIG R close by and thats a good thing kinda like a TSC only bigger and they sell guns

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun May 01, 2011 4:32 am

I shop at Walmart probably 3 times a week for food and such for my fam..its half the price of any stores around me and i can go to one place for pretty much anything instead of store to store :D BUT i bring my own bags so i do my part :mrgreen: oh ya and my kids where eachothers hand me downs and when they are worn out or have holes they become pj's for them and when they become to worn out for pj's they become rags for cleaning :wink: ...ruth

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun May 01, 2011 7:43 am

windswept wrote:
Maybe once a year. Needing steel shot at 4 am or some such other nonsense...

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun May 01, 2011 7:57 am

Cajun Casey wrote:...I believe you defined a big part of the problem. WalMart.
WalMart is the symptom...not the disease.
Lest you be a small store owner nearby.
Might as well tar Cabela's with that brush while we are at it.

My great uncle ran a country store, another uncle ran another country store, good friends of my grandparents ran yet another country store in SE Ohio...all within 10 crow miles of each other.
Two were post offices....no gasoline pumps.
While the appeal of creaky floors with slamming screen doors displaying RC Cola signs, dusty bins and buying one bolt has an appeal, The Mart obviously has an appeal to many as well.
I will also say that some small country store owners knew they had a monoply and could be real jerks.
Memory can be selective.

"Green" is a now growth business based on emotion tinged with fact...simply put.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun May 01, 2011 5:03 pm

nikegundog wrote:My grandfather lost his license at 85 my he went through a yield sign and got into an accident. We took away the keys from my grandma at age 91. My great uncle nearly lost his life at age 90 we he pulled out in front of a semi. All of them thought they drove just fine.
I think I see some of the points made here. When you reach a certain age, your driver's license should be revoked. :roll: I wonder what that age should be?

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm voting for 50 and from that time on our kids should be required to take us whereever and whenever we want to go. How long do you think it would take them to change their minds?

Ezzy

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun May 01, 2011 5:58 pm

The heck with driving me around. I've told mine they each owe me a couple payback years of diaper duty :lol:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun May 01, 2011 6:03 pm

I know some states require once you reach a certain age that your Dr. give you the ok and Optimologist pass you as well otherwise you lose your DL. You have to go in for these tests every 2 years. I think this is smart as it allows the ones that are still in good health to keep driving and the ones like Ezzy to stop. J/King Ezzy. The ones that you see driving the wrong way down the hwy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Brittlver wrote:I know some states require once you reach a certain age that your Dr. give you the ok and Optimologist pass you as well otherwise you lose your DL. You have to go in for these tests every 2 years. I think this is smart as it allows the ones that are still in good health to keep driving and the ones like Ezzy to stop. J/King Ezzy. The ones that you see driving the wrong way down the hwy.
I think thats the law in most states and is my good one in my opinion. Just a good thing I can still think and drive or Britlover would be lost out in the boonies of IL. :lol:

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun May 01, 2011 6:51 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Brittlver wrote:I know some states require once you reach a certain age that your Dr. give you the ok and Optimologist pass you as well otherwise you lose your DL. You have to go in for these tests every 2 years. I think this is smart as it allows the ones that are still in good health to keep driving and the ones like Ezzy to stop. J/King Ezzy. The ones that you see driving the wrong way down the hwy.
I think thats the law in most states and is my good one in my opinion. Just a good thing I can still think and drive or Britlover would be lost out in the boonies of IL. :lol:

Ezzy
:lol: Me too!

Charlie

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun May 01, 2011 6:55 pm

That is true, this guy brought like a mile off the road. We went over the hill thru the woods....even crossed a stream. I wouldve been lost for sure. Just hope you can make to the fall Ezzy. :lol: I seen some older people that really need to be off the road. Was on a hwy one day and pass some old lady doing 30 down the middle of the hwy with everyone passing her at 75.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Brittlver wrote:That is true, this guy brought like a mile off the road. We went over the hill thru the woods....even crossed a stream. I wouldve been lost for sure. Just hope you can make to the fall Ezzy. :lol: I seen some older people that really need to be off the road. Was on a hwy one day and pass some old lady doing 30 down the middle of the hwy with everyone passing her at 75.
Jesse I quit buying green bananas.

Ezzy

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun May 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Things defiantly have changed over the years. I wish people swap places with each other Old to New and New to Old. It would really would be an eye opener.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:50 pm

You know one of my biggest disappointments is that my kids and that would include most of you never got to experience the things I grew up with. I don't want to go back to those days as some things are much better now, but not all, but I just wanted you to know what it wa like. Maybe people would be happier with what they have if thy could experience a time when we didn't have it.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun May 01, 2011 8:25 pm

ezzy333 wrote:You know one of my biggest disappointments is that my kids and that would include most of you never got to experience the things I grew up with. I don't want to go back to those days as some things are much better now, but not all, but I just wanted you to know what it wa like. Maybe people would be happier with what they have if thy could experience a time when we didn't have it.

Ezzy
Amen!!

Charlie

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon May 02, 2011 11:52 am

I have to say anyone who is old enough to remember some of the things mentioned may not need to be driving.
What was we talking about? :) speak up would ya? :)

Milk delivery was over in the 70s, not that long ago.....

We did take off ourr shoes in spring time on our walk home.

Which is really funny, we moved to Omaha. the walk to school was longer in town and hilly. Sucked moving to town, country living is where its at. Didnt even try to take a shotgun to school.....

But I dont miss things like bad milk, Grandparents lost 2 from that.

Anyone got a 50s bomb shelter? :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Thu May 19, 2011 3:49 pm

We have a new airport, first one built since 911. It advertises as being a green operation. Electric shuttle carts, trash bins for recycling, ect. Funny all the bins for recycling are emptied into the same trash bins to be hauled off to the incinerator!
Dіck