Shorthair Question.....

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Shorthair Question.....

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 10, 2011 1:11 pm

For those who have multiple shorthairs in the household, does it seem to matter with this breed if you have a m:f pairing or if you have m:m pairing (and by pairing I just mean two in the house, not biblical pairing) if dogs are neutered? I know some breeds don't do well with two males in the house, even if neutered. My sis is getting another shorthair to go with her 9 month old pup in another 8-10 weeks. I'm a fan of picking by the personality and not so much gender biased, but she wants a female - and if that would be easier on the household, then I'll pick from the females and just keep my eyes squinched shut when the boy puppies try to crawl in my lap.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Shorthair Question.....

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Multiple females are a headache, spayed or not, regardless of age or relationship. Boys can be a lot more rambunctious, but are usually more agreeable to the idea of getting along. I'd recommend two boys or one of each.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue May 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Multiple females are a headache, spayed or not, regardless of age or relationship. Boys can be a lot more rambunctious, but are usually more agreeable to the idea of getting along. .
I think she was talking about dogs.......

RoostersMom wrote:For those who have multiple shorthairs in the household, does it seem to matter with this breed if you have a m:f pairing or if you have m:m pairing (and by pairing I just mean two in the house, not biblical pairing) if dogs are neutered? I know some breeds don't do well with two males in the house, even if neutered. My sis is getting another shorthair to go with her 9 month old pup in another 8-10 weeks. I'm a fan of picking by the personality and not so much gender biased, but she wants a female - and if that would be easier on the household, then I'll pick from the females and just keep my eyes squinched shut when the boy puppies try to crawl in my lap.
I have 2 females 4 years apart and it's not a problem. I'd be more worried about having 2 pups less then a year old at the same time. :P

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 10, 2011 1:54 pm

We took four generations of ladies for a photo at Christmas. Santa quit.

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Tue May 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Two males will have it out at least once and set up who is boss, my vote is for M and F. They will pull this when no one is around if you watch for it. Keeping them separated is difficult. Unless she is experienced with the breed stay away from two males.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 10, 2011 2:54 pm

I find it is more the dogs that the sex..I have all females in the house and have mostly males also all how they are raised and the temperaments of the individual dogs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 10, 2011 2:58 pm

I usually have a mix of males and females 6 at a time in the house together as i dont have kennel dogs... i dont tolerate ANY fighting or carrying on..in my experience males tend to get along and BITCHES LEAVE STICHES :wink: my females always seem to rule the males :mrgreen: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue May 10, 2011 3:05 pm

This depends totally on the dogs and their temperaments. I have DD and have had as many as 4 bitches in the house and have never had a problem. I think it also depends on the owner.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 10, 2011 3:07 pm

The girls hold grudges but the boys seem to settle down after the initial sparks. The one thing is that females tend to be better with young pups than males, which can be grouchy at first.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 10, 2011 3:11 pm

I don't know if it's just my bunch (five generations here, bottom line for four), but if somebody is going to teach a pup bad behavior, the instructor will be a female.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue May 10, 2011 4:07 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:in my experience males tend to get along and BITCHES LEAVE STICHES :wink: my females always seem to rule the males :mrgreen: ....ruth
Yep. The oldest female tends to be the boss, and the rest better not cross her. The boys just want to get along and get a little rowdy...
Cajun Casey wrote: but if somebody is going to teach a pup bad behavior, the instructor will be a female.
I've noticed the same.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 10, 2011 4:19 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:in my experience males tend to get along and BITCHES LEAVE STICHES :wink: my females always seem to rule the males :mrgreen: ....ruth
Yep. The oldest female tends to be the boss, and the rest better not cross her. The boys just want to get along and get a little rowdy...
Cajun Casey wrote: but if somebody is going to teach a pup bad behavior, the instructor will be a female.
I've noticed the same.

someone needs to tell my friends male GSP this as he is the lead fighter of the group and his female is the kicked back one of the bunch
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue May 10, 2011 4:44 pm

I find bitches to be more tempramental but not always and think it has more to do with individual personality. Don't think it has much if anything to do with breed. Have 3 intact males and until very recently 3 intact bitches (two are now spayed, one will be after she's out of season) all are in the house. Won't tollerate fighting from any of them and put a stop to it right then and there. The Vizsla bitch has stirred the pot more than the GSPs but that's just her personality not what I've seen in the breed overall. The oldest GSP bitch is the most layed back but rules, she gives them "the look" and they all back down.
When I picked up one from training and left another, the order shifted a bit but layed down the law at the reintroduction and have no problems.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue May 10, 2011 6:02 pm

I've always had multiple female shorthairs in the house and never had any problems.

Nitrex

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks for the comments. I have multiple sexes here at home and like stated above by a few, the bitches are the worst. My GSP and EP don't get along, neither does the chessie and the GSP - but the boys all seem to do fine with the girls and each other. I just wondered if maybe with the GSP breed as a whole, did the female:male combination make more sense. She (my sis) already has a male.

And I too, get the problems with the age thing (having two younger pups). But she has a solid plan for time alone with each pup and individual crate and training times for each pup. The intent was to send the 9 month old to Jon and Cindy at Perfection for a few months while she worked with the new pup, but she's having a hard time letting this guy go for that time frame, so we'll likely just work out plenty of individual training and play times. Plus, I get to keep the pup until August. By then, her current pup will be 11 months old.

Thanks for the insight into multiple GSP homes!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Suggestion. Take the older pup along to meet the candidates for his BFF.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Good idea - only they live in NM and the pup is here in MO. I'll be taking it out there to them - but they're going to get to see the litter when the pups are about 5 weeks old. Sis says the current pup is really good with other small dogs that he meets and gets to play with so far. He is in some class or another and has a few smaller pups in there - he's playful yet not too rambunctious, so that's good.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 am

A problem might not start immediately with a new baby puppy and an older pup. But when they are around 18 months-3 years old and the hormones kick in, the situation could change dramatically. Doesn't always turn ugly, but when it does, it's a mess.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed May 11, 2011 9:01 am

I'd vote for M-F. Although most of it depends on personality. I have a M-F at home and the female rules the land easily. She is 2 years older. I had F-F and had a few fights that required stitches. My buddy had M-M and they'd have a huge fight every other year it seemed like. Like I said, most of it is personality and temperament though.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 am

My first GSP was a male intact. And still is. I got my second GSP female. 2 year later at 7 weeks old. Things were great at first. Then around 8 months old . The alpha thing started. She was with use for 2 years and she ruled the roost or my male just couldn't mistreat a lady. We now have a 10 month old male GSP intact with us. I've broken up one skirmish take was getting out of hand. For that reason alone one will be crated when I'm gone. I don't need 2 vet bills or worse when I get home from work.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 11, 2011 11:02 am

3 males (2 shorthairs and 1 rotti) ruger, harley and dallas

2 males (shorthairs) gunner and ruger

female setter, guess who ruled the roost (belle)

my gsp female , guess who now rules the roost (jersey)

i have never had a dominate male but have always had dominate females, maybe that should tell me something :lol: ..ruth

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:13 am

3 females in the house

14 year old lab mix
4 year old gsp
2 year old gsp

I don't think the lab realized she was a dog, until we brought the first shorthair home 4 years ago. :D The lab appears dominant, but at 14 she's not real active nor threatening. When she's had enough, she'll give some good growls, at which point the gsps cower,roll over, and get a good face washing. That's all it's ever taken for her, is just a growl, to put them in her their place. It's interesting to watch full grown dogs almost beg for her attention. She's known as momma dog around our house, and I think she may have had some value in teaching the two youngsters a thing or two, when they came into our home at 7-8 weeks old. The shorthairs are two clowns and love each others company. They can play rough at times, but we've never had a dog fight. They share the back seat of the truck when we're travelling, a 10x10 kennel when we're gone, my bed every night :roll: , and I've caught them napping together in an open crate before. In a couple years, I hope to add a 3rd female, and hope it goes as smoothly.

Just a pic I snapped recently, after working in the kitchen, and turning around to see I was being watched...

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 11, 2011 11:18 am

Luv it wems!! VERY NICE dogs :mrgreen: ....ruth

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed May 11, 2011 5:26 pm

My females are more testy with each other. It's a headache sometimes. They behave when I am watching, because they know I expect it, but sometimes when I am out of the room they get into it. All my males (not the DD, mind you, all the GSP males) now are easy going good natured get along with anyone dogs. That said, I think there are some lines of males that are much more testy with other males. I have seen male dominance issues in several of our old girl Katie's relatives, and they all seemed to worsen with age. But my "boys" Jed and Driggs could not care one bit who is there to play as long as they get to play. Both are intact. They are both great with new dogs and strange dogs.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 pm

I've got two intact male GSPs....never had a problem with them. The older one is clearly the alpha, but it wasn't established through fighting (I don't tolerate it) but more passive posturing and an occassional "nonviolent" snap while the other was young.