pond water

setter50

pond water

Post by setter50 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:42 am

Has anyone's dog experience cases of diarrhea after drinking pond water? I'm guessing some of the retriever owners might be able to help me here. My pup made a huge mess in his create last night and his diet has not change to our knowledge. The only thing I can think of is the pond water he drank while we were out on a run. He appears happy and healthy, but he sure was messy.

Thanks in advance.

setter50

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: pond water

Post by shags » Thu May 12, 2011 7:51 am

Yep. If it doesn't clear up, have him checked for giardia.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 am

Giardia takes some time to take hold, but you need to be careful with certain types of algae in the water that are toxic. You should give that dog probiotics to settle him down.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 12, 2011 8:45 am

I like this little primer from the State of Minnesota.

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php/wa ... looms.html

There are only a couple of types of cyanobacteria that are dangerous, but it's best to avoid them all. Ponds can also contain oilfield runoff, winterkill livestock, and various other pollutants. If I am not totally familiar with the pond, I keep my dog out.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Thu May 12, 2011 9:02 am

I had a pup [6m] last year get sick from swimming in ditch water ,nex day had runs and would not eat or play ,,went to the vet [after a lot of crap with her] i asked if she would give me something for giardia [metronidazol] ; 4hr later he was playing 6 hr was eating and by morning he was 95% back to norm..

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu May 12, 2011 9:25 am

My dogs have gotten the runs many times with running threw ponds, creeks and even at the beach..sometimes they just drink too much all together and get saturated from drinking the entire time they swim :D ..like taxidermy said, usually the next day they are back to normal again.. but if it lasts more than 48 hours or the pup gives you reason to worry like lethargic or blood in the poop or vomitting then consider the vet..other than that if you go to ponds ect often it is bound to happen now and again..we take our dogs swimming to alot of places and the runs is usually par for the course....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 12, 2011 10:45 am

If the algae is ever bluish , do not let your dog near that water. Deadly. Any change of water can give a dog diarrhea . That's why I take my own tap water when taking the dogs to trials/tests etc.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri May 13, 2011 7:07 am

I would NOT worry about blue/green algae in this case. When your dog is exposed to it, it kills very quickly from what I understand. Depending on the amount swallowed, it may not kill and just make your dog sick. I would guess that he got some bacterial infection from the pond that will pass quickly, Giardia takes a little bit to get things moving and usually takes a few days to incubate. Maybe Lepto, but I would just keep an eye on him and if he doesn't get better or gets dehydrated/lethargic, take him in. Try giving some Kiefer or good yogurt, just a tablespoon at a time.

Spark

Post by Spark » Fri May 13, 2011 2:33 pm

don't let them drink salt water (beach) talk about explosive runs.