Any trainers in NW Arkansas?

afairchild0103

Any trainers in NW Arkansas?

Post by afairchild0103 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:28 am

I have a 15 week old black lab I'm training to be a retriever. Shes very smart, loves to play, and is whistled trained to a point. Just looking to get together with someone with a little experience to either have a play day or training day, maybe get a little advice. I need all the help I can get.

Andrew

Coveyrise64

Re: Any trainers in NW Arkansas?

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 am

afairchild0103 wrote:I have a 15 week old black lab I'm training to be a retriever. Shes very smart, loves to play, and is whistled trained to a point. Just looking to get together with someone with a little experience to either have a play day or training day, maybe get a little advice. I need all the help I can get.

Andrew
Whistle trained at 15weeks? Sounds like you need professional help. Try these guy's;

http://www.slackwaterretrievers.com/

they took 2nd, 4th, and Reserve JAM in the Open Qualifier at a local AKC Retriever FT. I think there was a total of 15 dogs that ran. It will be the best money you ever spent.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

afairchild0103

Post by afairchild0103 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:30 am

When i say whistled trained to a point i don't mean she has it down. She knows tweet tweet tweet tweet means come and has it down very well. Sitting on a whistle is a day to day thing. Somedays she knows it some days she is hesitant. She knows sit, stay, and here extremely well if shes on a leash. I've been doing about 10 minutes of obedience and such everyday since she was 7 weeks. I am very new to this. Why are you saying i need a proffesionals help!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 am

Oh, he's just cranky from the weather, :)

Try searching the internet for HUNTING RETRIEVER CLUBS in your state. They are pretty low intensity, vs. AKC clubs and you might find a training day you can make.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:41 am

Why are you saying i need a proffesionals help!
I think his comment was a direct response to your request? Forums are tough to communicate on because of the limitations through the written word. Whistle trained to someone of great experience and someone new can very clearly mean entirely different things. By Terry's definition and arguably most if not all professionals isn't possible at 15 weeks. All the work you have done to this point and the results you have achieved are great steps to a bigger picture, but the best way to achieve that is to understand the bigger picture and apply yourself to a methodology to get there. SO you are to be applauded for seeking help, CR provided a good link, for mentorship and a do-it-yourself route you may look into a local breed club?

afairchild0103

Post by afairchild0103 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:58 am

I'm not against seeking help. I just want to learn what I'm doing, not pay someone to do it for me. I emailed the link he gave me. When he said I needed a professionals help I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Like I said until about two months ago I had no experience with training a dog what so ever!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:09 am

Casey if you are talking about all the rain yall are getting over there in the East, please send us some over here to the panhandle. I am tired of the wind and dry conditions. It is miserable here. Dry, dusty, fires every day. I would love to have some of the rain from over that way. :D

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:17 pm

afairchild0103 wrote:When i say whistled trained to a point i don't mean she has it down. She knows tweet tweet tweet tweet means come and has it down very well. Sitting on a whistle is a day to day thing. Somedays she knows it some days she is hesitant. She knows sit, stay, and here extremely well if shes on a leash. I've been doing about 10 minutes of obedience and such everyday since she was 7 weeks. I am very new to this. Why are you saying i need a proffesionals help!
I work with these guys on occasion, they know what they are doing. For a dog that young they aren't blowing a whistle and trying to make her sit, they're throwing dead bird marks, and marks, and more marks. Building that prey drive with young retrievers is just as important as with pointing dogs. It also helps with the development of the dogs marking skill, taking a line, and use of nose if they overrun the mark. One thing they encourage is the owner come out and work with the dog during training. The professional help is for you not the dog, you'll learn way more than the dog will. :mrgreen: The dog is doing what should come naturally.

It is best to call, I don't know how often he checks his e-mails. He'll talk to you anytime during the day and tell him you found out about them from a guy in Oklahoma who has German Shorthairs. 8)

Coveyrise64

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:42 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Casey if you are talking about all the rain yall are getting over there in the East, please send us some over here to the panhandle. I am tired of the wind and dry conditions. It is miserable here. Dry, dusty, fires every day. I would love to have some of the rain from over that way. :D
Have you tried the famous western Oklahoma naked rain dance?........... :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
tommyboy72 wrote:Casey if you are talking about all the rain yall are getting over there in the East, please send us some over here to the panhandle. I am tired of the wind and dry conditions. It is miserable here. Dry, dusty, fires every day. I would love to have some of the rain from over that way. :D
Have you tried the famous western Oklahoma naked rain dance?........... :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64
Please don't feel obligated to post video. :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

afairchild0103

Post by afairchild0103 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:20 pm

For a dog that young they aren't blowing a whistle and trying to make her sit, they're throwing dead bird marks, and marks, and more marks.
I'll definitely call him when I get off work. I have some ducks in the freezer. I figured the bumpers were a little lighter for her to carry as a youngster. Thanks for the response.

Andrew

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Never tried it naked but, hey, that's an idea! :D :D :D :mrgreen:

Don't worry Casey, what happens in the panhandle stays in the panhandle. :lol:

Once as a kid in Louisiana, where I am originally from, my brother and I did a rain dance out in my aunt's yard and a hurricane blew in and flooded most of lower Louisiana. My dad still blames that on me and my little brother and that was 25 years ago. :lol:

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:17 pm

afairchild0103 wrote:
For a dog that young they aren't blowing a whistle and trying to make her sit, they're throwing dead bird marks, and marks, and more marks.
I'll definitely call him when I get off work. I have some ducks in the freezer. I figured the bumpers were a little lighter for her to carry as a youngster. Thanks for the response.

Andrew
So how did the phone call go.....?

Coveyrise64

afairchild0103

Post by afairchild0103 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:32 am

He was busy when I called him, but he gave me his number and the address to the kennel. I think we're going to meet sometime hopefully in the near future. I have to get a day off work first. Been working everyday for the past 2 weeks.

OK quail hunter

Post by OK quail hunter » Fri May 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Patricia Higgs at Grand Willin Retrievers in Fayyeteville has some nice dogs and world class facilities. I dont have her number handy but if you do a google search you can find her website. I dont have labs but when we lived in Bentonville I would leave my dogs with her when we left town and she took great care of them.