My girl Ava is peeing blood, can't figure it out

clydenkenzie

My girl Ava is peeing blood, can't figure it out

Post by clydenkenzie » Sat May 14, 2011 5:31 pm

I have a year and a half old GSP female that is fixed.. About 2 months ago I noticed blood in her urine after I ran her of hunted her. So I took her to the vet and they said it's most likely a urinary track infection and gave me anti biotics to treat it.. So after two weeks I was done with that treatment and took her running.. Needless to say she was peeing blood still. So I took her back and they took X rays for stones and did some other test to check for infection. The vet said nothin major and gave me a different kind of antibiotic. So I tried that and thought we were good to go. Now today, 4 weeks after her last set of anitbiotics I take her out running and we get back and I notice more blood. The weird thing is that she doesn't pee blood on a dailey bases or even when I take her on a light run. It's only after a hard run. I'm not sure if it has to do with her being fixed or her kidneys.. If you guys can please give me any info or thought it would be much appreciated. Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: My girl Ava is peeing blood, can't figure it out

Post by shags » Sat May 14, 2011 5:58 pm

That doesn't sound like a urinary tract infection - more like exertional rhabdomyolysis which can be dangerous. You really need to read this and see your vet about it.

http://www.vetstream.com/canis/Content/Disease/dis60304

edited to add http://www.gundogdoc.com/askthevet/intmedicine.html
scroll down to the question in 10-22-04

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sat May 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Please keep us informed on the prognosis and treatment. I too have noticed blood in my Pointers urine when running her, I caught it when she urinated in the snow on the way back to the truck. During an exam at the vets I expressed concern over the blood in the urine and she seemed to think little of it. Now I am very concerned after reading the article posted. Is there treatment for this??

clydenkenzie

Post by clydenkenzie » Sat May 14, 2011 6:36 pm

my thing about the article posted is that it talkes about muscle pains. Ava will still be runnin around like crazy and not be in pain at all. I just wish I could talk to her :D

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat May 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Thing is, not many vets deal with working athlete dogs, so they aren't really aware of it. Not like it's common in housepets. Years ago I had a dog with undiagnosed ER. He eventually went into kidney failure which killed him.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat May 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Have your vet do a dipstick on her urine next time - it will probably be postive for hemoglobin. Then ask him to do a microscopic on some spun-down urine, and he'll probably not see any red blood cells. That ought to tell him something.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sat May 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Shags is spot on. They have to be "flushed out" with lactated ringers(sp?) when clinical signs show, to prevent possible renal failure. Have your Vet do exactly as Shags suggested. If they don't get it then, get another Vet that better understands working athlete's.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Meades

Post by Meades » Sat May 14, 2011 9:36 pm

My Englishsetter has had blood in her urine after heavy hunting .My Vet said it was simply not drinking enough water?she was dehydrated.
Mike

clydenkenzie

Post by clydenkenzie » Sat May 14, 2011 11:06 pm

right on guys thanks, I actually me a vet about a month ago at a trial so I think I'm gonna take a little drive and go see him. I'll get back on here and post soon as I find somethin out. Thanks for the thoughts

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 am

PM Dr. Tim this is right in his wheelhouse.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun May 15, 2011 7:20 am

Times like this is when this forum is worth its weight. I hope you get this worked !!! Keep us posted

rollick

Post by rollick » Mon May 16, 2011 12:17 pm

With horses we call it "tying up." It can kill them, too. And with horses, once it starts, it tends to repeat unless you're careful. Hope your dog is OK; please keep us informed.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sat May 28, 2011 4:08 pm

any update on your pooch?