trials or wild bird hunting

gittrdonebritts

Re: trials or wild bird hunting

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue May 17, 2011 7:36 pm

birddogger wrote:It seems to me that when hunting is mentioned on here that a lot of people think of it as just going out and killing something. There is so much more to it than that and I have trouble putting it into words. It somewhat troubles me that sportsmen are saying they don't enjoy killing birds anymore. I understand what they are saying, but to the anti hunting crowd, it sounds like they are agreeing with them. I think field trials are great games where we can enjoy our dogs, since hunting is not what it once was. I have been passionate about hunting since I was a little boy and I can tell you, for me anyway, it is about so much more than killing something. I never had dogs because I wanted to compete with anybody, but rather to get away from the stress of every day life, enjoy the wild life and serenity of the outdoors, watching the dogs work, which I trained myself, either hunting by myself or sharing the experience with a friend or two and then sitting down to a meal of game that I harvested, if any. I so miss the days when hunting was a way of life for me and my family and was accepted and respected by almost everyone. So, if given the choice, give me the real thing!! I will stop crying in my beer now. :lol:

Charlie
+1 Charlie
I grew up in a family were everyone hunted and I want to pass that down to my children although i harvest a few birds mainly for the dogs sake it hasn't been about killing since I was like 10, and in the last 5 years it has been even less about killing and Just being out with friends family and a well trained dog (no matter his/her color or tail length :wink: ) Trialing was started as a way to extend the hunting season and have fun with our dogs but at least to me it seems as though it has become an obsession and sometimes a bit out of control but that's JMO

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm

I trialed for many years (AKC) and loved it. Toward the end, at times, I felt it was beginning to be more about me than the dog's. Maybe I was living too vicariously though the dogs. Now, while I still love to visit trials when I have the opportunity, I look forward to those winter days when my wife and I go up to the lease or to Kansas, watching the dog's work the fields and hope for some bird contact, and yes, a few kills. Great to hunt with old friends, people I've known for 30-35 years. At the end of the day, get a hot meal at the small town local cafe then off to the "dog friendly" motel for a hot shower. Climb into bed usually with one for the dogs next to me, the other two on the floor and watch some college football. I guess that's just where I am in life. Still greatly appreciate all those that trial. I truely believe they are improving the breed. You guy's (and gal's) send me a bill for the therapy.Thanks

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue May 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Yes, trialing does better the breeds and I am glad there are trials for people to enjoy.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Dave I am in. I was not aware there were trials that close. I will definitely be in for the Optima trials. I thought the trials that were close to us were all GSP events down at Amarillo. I was not aware I could run Pointers at these events. Or were you speaking of some different events. In any case I will definitely be giving you a call for some info. on the fall trials at Optima. Thanks Dave I appreciate it. Will I need to cross register my dogs with the AKC in order to be able to run?

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue May 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Tweekers or die hard chukar hunters. As long as I don’t see you guys mowing the grass at 2 in the morning,
I’ll say die hard chukar hunters.LOL
Quill Gordon wrote:Maybe a better question would be crack cocaine or wild birds.

Could be just me and my homies but were definately smokin somethin

Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson