Need Advice: bringing an outside dog home to an inside dog.

Green

Need Advice: bringing an outside dog home to an inside dog.

Post by Green » Tue May 17, 2011 6:40 am

Not sure if this is the right section or not, mods please move it if there is a more appropriate place.

There is no question that I have the time and patience to train a pup, so I'm not going to get into my family life and schedule (introduced in the new member section).

I'm considering bringing home a Springer pup to be trained as an outdoor companion and hunting dog. I've spent many years researching breeds and considering this decision and now have the opportunity to take one from a friend. My concern is that I also have an intact adult male Miniature Schnauzer. Toby is a house dog and has been with the family for nearly 10 years, but he's just not right for taking to the wild outdoors.

My question is, will there be jealousy issues between the two dogs? Will the Springer have issues with being kept outside in a kennel/large fenced backyard while Toby goes inside when he's done playing or pooping? Will Toby have problems when he looks out the window and sees the Springer get in my truck to go for a ride? The two dogs would play together in the yard and on walks, but would otherwise lead separate lives.

Thoughts?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Need Advice: bringing an outside dog home to an inside dog.

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 am

Is there some reason that the Springer can't be an inside dog too? After proper introductions, the inside dog might enjoy having a companion. I only say that because the people I know that hunt with Springers keep them as inside dogs. I have always been told that is a breed that prefers to be an inside dog. Of course if you're getting a dog that has been outside and alone all of it's life, then it will likely be happy there. But if you're starting with a puppy and it will be alone out in a kennel - nope, I would not do that. Dogs are pack animals and in general are not happy living alone. There are cases where dogs are content living a solitary existence out in the kennel, but if there is no pressing reason to be doing that (ie, kids are deathly allergic or wife hates dogs) then I would not leave a lone dog in the kennel - and I would definately NOT do it to a puppy. All of our puppies (even the beagles) were raised in the home. At about 6 months, I moved the beagles outside and our GSP prefers to be outside with the beagles and the chessie - so that's where they ended up. The others live inside with us (EP's and Vizsla). Puppies benefit from the interaction of living in a household - and this creates a better bond between the owner and the working dog.

Green

Post by Green » Tue May 17, 2011 7:59 am

The pup would live in the house, interact with the family and the other dog, but would sleep in a crate. It is my intention to keep him there until he is too big to slip under my chain-link gates...at which time he would be moved outside where he would be free to run the backyard.

The house dog is small and somewhat spoiled. He minds well but is allowed on the furniture and sleeps by my side. The springer, being a shedding breed, would not be allowed on the furniture. Also, I wouldn't want him to learn the bad habits of my Schnauzer (hanging out under the table at dinner time and barking when the doorbell rings for example).

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 17, 2011 9:22 am

Sounds like a plan. I wouldn't leave my dog free to run the yard though. For one, they don't tend to exercise themselves and two, they will get into mischief when allowed free roam. Killing small animals, digging, anything to relieve boredom. Better kenneled until you have time to work with them. But that's just my opinion.

Green

Post by Green » Tue May 17, 2011 10:05 am

I'd thought about a kennel and would likely go that route (cleanup would be easier than searching for mines all over the yard). The wife is already worried about the added cost of another dog (which I think is negligible)...I don't want to throw the cost of a kennel at her.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 17, 2011 10:22 am

Green wrote:Not sure if this is the right section or not, mods please move it if there is a more appropriate place.

There is no question that I have the time and patience to train a pup, so I'm not going to get into my family life and schedule (introduced in the new member section).

I'm considering bringing home a Springer pup to be trained as an outdoor companion and hunting dog. I've spent many years researching breeds and considering this decision and now have the opportunity to take one from a friend. My concern is that I also have an intact adult male Miniature Schnauzer. Toby is a house dog and has been with the family for nearly 10 years, but he's just not right for taking to the wild outdoors.

My question is, will there be jealousy issues between the two dogs? Will the Springer have issues with being kept outside in a kennel/large fenced backyard while Toby goes inside when he's done playing or pooping? Will Toby have problems when he looks out the window and sees the Springer get in my truck to go for a ride? The two dogs would play together in the yard and on walks, but would otherwise lead separate lives.

Thoughts?
Any normal male will have some response to a new male. It can be a heavy duty reaction or not. They have to work it out.
He will be ticked when Toby smiles out the window and Toby will be ticked when you drive away with the new dog. That's the way it goes.
It would be better to have a female pup that is kept in the house.
Don't tell your wife but another dog costs - vet bills, food etc. I also have not found the old adage , " Two dogs ( or babies) are no more work than one." to be true. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Green

Post by Green » Tue May 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Toby would be able to come out and play, he just wouldn't be able to be around when I was training the pup. He doesn't have any bad outside habits but I wouldn't want the distraction or the competition. I introduced them to each other last night, Tob sniffed the pup for a few seconds and went about his business. I guess I always thought that if you introduce a male pup to a home with another full grown male, dominance would be implied. I assumed that the pup would grow up submitting to the established dog...is it likely that a Springer will challenge for dominance? Tob has been socialized and does well with other males.

The wife knows there will be more vet & food costs, but for some reason I can't get her to understand that there won't be grooming or boarding bills (which cost waaaaaaay more than the vaccinations).

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue May 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Springers are excellent house dogs, once you decide who gets the pillow and who gets the recliner. They really do best with constant human contact, and with a little training, are polite and quiet in the house. They do require grooming, but I prefer a hunter cut anyway. My cat probably sheds more than the dog.
My first field bred ESS was primarily an outside dog for his first 10 years. Then he worked into the house. My second got into the house early. The problem wasn't the dog, but convincing my wife that my pup belonged in the house.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Wed May 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Personally that just sounds mean to me. Why would you get another dog if it was not given the same pleasure as the other. Does one of your kids have to sleep in the garage and one gets a nice comfy bed? I have a springer pup right now, and there is no way she would be willing to sleep outside while everyone else was inside. Sure I could lock her up outside, and outside she would stay, but It would be pure torture for her. I also think you would have constant problems favoring one dog over the other like that. Sure the springer would get to go out into the world with you, but the vast majority of your time would be spend with the other dog inside the house. If you want Two, I say its time to set clear boundaries for your current dog and then welcome the springer inside :) I would guess that you would never be able to make the new pup sleep outside anyways, they sure have a way to steal your heart :)

Green

Post by Green » Fri May 27, 2011 7:34 am

Swagg wrote:Personally that just sounds mean to me. Why would you get another dog if it was not given the same pleasure as the other. Does one of your kids have to sleep in the garage and one gets a nice comfy bed? I have a springer pup right now, and there is no way she would be willing to sleep outside while everyone else was inside. Sure I could lock her up outside, and outside she would stay, but It would be pure torture for her. I also think you would have constant problems favoring one dog over the other like that. Sure the springer would get to go out into the world with you, but the vast majority of your time would be spend with the other dog inside the house. If you want Two, I say its time to set clear boundaries for your current dog and then welcome the springer inside :) I would guess that you would never be able to make the new pup sleep outside anyways, they sure have a way to steal your heart :)
Uh...it's a dog. It's not a person. They have fur. There is nothing wrong with a dog living outside as long as it has food, water, and clean shelter.

So, based on what you're saying, I should be taking my 10 year old miniature schnauzer out to flush birds?

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Fri May 27, 2011 8:03 am

No one can give you an answer for certain as to how the two will get along. It varies from dog to dog. Two males will do their normal things but you can't predict whether one or the other might take a seriously aggressive posture.

The key to the whole thing is how well can you adapt and respond to whatever you see happening.

If you can control the situation, you can make it work out just fine. If you lack confidence and don't know what to do when problems arise, it may not work out so well.

It takes time and observation to learn and understand the interactions between dogs. Once you learn to read the situation, and know how to respond, everything will be to your liking because you make it so.

This doesn't sound at all like a problematic scenario as long as you are up to the task of making it work.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 27, 2011 8:48 am

we currently have all indoor dogs that spend lots of time with the fam and go pretty much every where we go, this includes any rescues i may have at any given time and they all get along fine.. we are moving to some acreage next year and we are currently building a kennel in order to keep 8 more dogs..i want to have some room to foster more dogs AND i want to have some more GSP'S in our life as well..my plan is to rotate the dogs in the house and the kennel.. the dogs will be rotated as fairly as possible depending on personalities..i think alot depends on a dogs personality..i have had dogs that just dont care to be in the house at all and actually seem very out of their element when they are inside..also ive had some that hate being outside especially alone BUT i do feel puppies should spend a good amount of time inside with their family in the beginning and get lots of attention and socialization..i dont have anything against keeping a dog in a kennel outside nor do i have anything against keeping a dog in the home as long as there is balance in all aspects of love, feeding, socialization, training and care..i think if you provide those things to your dogs it will be just fine....jmo...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Green

Post by Green » Fri May 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Kmack,
I don't think there will be any issues with them getting along. My MS has never shown any type of aggressive behavior around any other dog and as long as I pay attention with the pup, I can't imagine he'd grow up to be aggressive. My only concern is whether jealousy would cause behavior problems with the pup.

Ruth (and everyone else),
Thanks for your advice.