Size of Housing?

OUBobcat06

Size of Housing?

Post by OUBobcat06 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:19 am

Hey Guys,

I'm sure this has been answered already, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Anyway, I'm considering getting a pup soon (not sure of breed yet, probably one of the pointers or a setter) and I had a couple questions about housing for them.

Keeping them indoors for extended periods of time isn't an option because of my wife's allergies...so what size of a run is best to keep them in? Obviously, bigger is probably better, but what do they need? We're in-between fencing in the whole yard (Wife isn't too happy with that, and neither is my wallet), and building a smaller kennel for them. I realize they need tons of exercise and stimulation, so I'm already prepared to take them out on a regular basis. There will be a few days when i won't be able to get them out (travel for work occasionally), so will a smaller run be really detrimental to them during that time?

Also, if you have any pictures of your kennels that would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Size of Housing?

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 am

Six by ten, or thereabouts, is plenty of room. Do it right from the get-go and put a wire top on it. Might consider a concrete pad, too.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 17, 2011 9:19 am

If I had it to do over again, I would do longer kennel with less width - like a 12ft by 5ft or even 4 ft. Dogs tend to use the length more than the width in a kennel. Realizing that it is not standard and might be hard to buy ready made. I'd get the Behlen kennels because I like them better than the chain link. And I would agree with Cajun above - concrete is best. And a top - always have a top on the kennel. I have a GSP and a EP that climb.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:37 am

definitely invest in length over width. Mine are 12X4 and work fine. Four foot width seems pretty common . If I had to build a kennel for only one dog I might go to six width so they could stay away from stools easier and also if you get a long tail breed it may help to not get tail banged up too much.Concrete may seem expensive at first but you won't be sorry.

Green

Post by Green » Tue May 17, 2011 9:55 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Six by ten, or thereabouts, is plenty of room. Do it right from the get-go and put a wire top on it. Might consider a concrete pad, too.
Why a wire top? Is it common that they climb out?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 17, 2011 10:05 am

Green wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Six by ten, or thereabouts, is plenty of room. Do it right from the get-go and put a wire top on it. Might consider a concrete pad, too.
Why a wire top? Is it common that they climb out?
Oh, yeah. I've got a couple that can flatfoot it over six foot and a few that are too dumb to know they can go over four foot. Best not to find out which you have the hard way.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 am

Ideally I have always advocated a 4X16. But always spend your money for more length instead of width. The dogs will exercise more in a longer run which does help keep them in shape. There are dogs that will climb but doesn't happen often. I have never had one climb out but have had one climb in trying to get to a female that was in heat.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Green

Post by Green » Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 am

I was thinking of building my own kennel. Concrete floor, 4x4 posts on the corners, 2x4 framing, a heavy gauge wire grate to surround it, and a plywood roof. Thoughts?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:06 am

It will work.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.