In the public eye

Post Reply
User avatar
isonychia
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Southwestern Colorado

In the public eye

Post by isonychia » Tue May 17, 2011 6:48 pm

I know it looks bad to people who have no idea; training on walks in view of the public. I'm sure they all wonder what the big leather collar and thick leash are for, not to mention the other 2 collars, transmitter and whistle around your neck. I always try to wave to passers by so they don't think I'm some evil person for wanting a well trained dog. The worst is training "stay"; can you imagine what the set back and spin would look like to someone who had no idea? I don't spin my dog on set back but I will move him back to where he was with pressure involved (haven't needed any further correction). Today was an "off" day for our training, he wanted to break heel like no one's business, so I had to up the pressure on the CC/collar. A woman was walking by in the middle of this and when I looked up at her she was giving me a look of disgust. Oh well, *brushed off as ignorance. Makes me wonder how much more people would get along if we understood people and situations without prejudging. :roll:

User avatar
gittrdonebritts
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: Malta,IL

Re: In the public eye

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue May 17, 2011 7:21 pm

I get the same looks when I walk around the local pet store with my Jill dog wearing her E-collar, I even got spit on one time by a lady carrying her extremely over weight Pug who was growling and barking at everything in sight, after she said I was a cruel person who should be locked up for electrocuting my dog and "forcing her " to hunt and kill poor defenseless animals for fun, Instead of pointing out the fact that she was shorting her dogs life by allowing him to be over weight and not properly socializing him made him a public nuisance that she couldn't control, and that since we walked in the door my "blood thirsty killer" had never left my side or caused any problems, but I'm the cruel owner, so i said thanks for your opinion have a good day. We as hunters and bird dog owners will never be able to please everyone or even let them hear our side of the story the best thing to do is be polite and not give ourselves an even worse image.

User avatar
Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: In the public eye

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Trained dogs are like babies. Everyone enjoys looking at them, but no one wants to see how they are made.

My dogs wear a slip choke in public. If they are not able to behave with that, they need more yard work.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

User avatar
birddogger
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: Bunker Hill, IL.

Re: In the public eye

Post by birddogger » Tue May 17, 2011 7:30 pm

As I have said before, SAVE ME FROM THE GOOD PEOPLE!!!

BTW, I got that saying from Jim White on KMOX radio years ago, so I can't take credit for it but there is so much truth in it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

User avatar
isonychia
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Southwestern Colorado

Re: In the public eye

Post by isonychia » Tue May 17, 2011 7:31 pm

no one wants to see how they are made.
... Someone surely wants to see that! :twisted:
Cajun Casey wrote:Trained dogs are like babies. Everyone enjoys looking at them, but no one wants to see how they are made.

My dogs wear a slip choke in public. If they are not able to behave with that, they need more yard work.
I live in public, I do my training on our walks, just seems more realistic and pleasurable for the dog.

Kmack
Rank: Champion
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:36 am
Location: Augusta, Kansas

Re: In the public eye

Post by Kmack » Tue May 17, 2011 7:59 pm

I think y'all need to teach your dogs "Sick 'em"

User avatar
mobeasto123
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Baie-Comeau, Québec, Canada

Re: In the public eye

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Trained dogs are like babies. Everyone enjoys looking at them, but no one wants to see how they are made.
Tottaly agree with, Everyone is asking me about my dog some find it cool some other find that not that cool.. But when you ask them How many time in their life they've got a 450$ Collar they are all telling that I'm crazy... Even more about the Trainer price..
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8237
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: In the public eye

Post by Sharon » Wed May 18, 2011 5:59 am

I was training dogs once before I knew what i was doing.

Used the string and piece of garden hose on the bird.

Wasn't heavy enough and the bird took off over the pond and got snagged hanging from a tree on a little island.

Sure enough , at that point some people came along with binoculars, bird watching.

I'll let you fill in the blank ...................................... :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

User avatar
isonychia
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Southwestern Colorado

Re: In the public eye

Post by isonychia » Wed May 18, 2011 6:46 am

Sharon wrote:I was training dogs once before I knew what i was doing.

Used the string and piece of garden hose on the bird.

Wasn't heavy enough and the bird took off over the pond and got snagged hanging from a tree on a little island.

Sure enough , at that point some people came along with binoculars, bird watching.

I'll let you fill in the blank ...................................... :)
As terrible as that is, it might just be the funniest thing I have read in a long time :lol:

User avatar
snips
GDF Junkie
Posts: 5542
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:26 am
Location: n.ga.

Re: In the public eye

Post by snips » Wed May 18, 2011 6:47 am

Never take lightly what you do in the public eye...The same thing with correcting a child in the grocery....Might find yourself up on charges.... :o
brenda

User avatar
markj
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 pm
Location: Crescent Iowa

Re: In the public eye

Post by markj » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 am

The same thing with correcting a child in the grocery....Might find yourself up on charges
Iowa code allows corporal punishment :) in other words ya can spank a butt here and nobody can say a word. Now if ya go and beat on the kid,,,

I train on my place, no public eye, I lived in town 3 and 1/2 years of heck. Wont do it again, wont own a hunting dog in town, anything that barks will get you a ticket, kids tease em.

I used to go to a place out west of Omaha chalco hills rec area, there is quail, pheasant etc. Walk the dog off leash and dog will find some and point em out :) long check cord and a metal pinch collar goes unnoticed here.

I saw a guy walk a dog on a electric leash, had a button and could shock the dog for heel training.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

User avatar
gittrdonebritts
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: Malta,IL

Re: In the public eye

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed May 18, 2011 9:43 am

snips wrote:Never take lightly what you do in the public eye...The same thing with correcting a child in the grocery....Might find yourself up on charges.... :o
When I was a kid there was always some other kid getting spanked in Wal-Mart and If i misbehaved mom would do the same thing.

User avatar
jlowery
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: In the public eye

Post by jlowery » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 am

gittrdonebritts wrote: I even got spit on one time by a lady carrying her extremely over weight Pug.
I woulda be drug away by the cops, prolly with some electric probes IN ME from a stun gun, after that lady spit on me. I walk both of my dogs daily with Ecollars on, and get some pretty crazy looks, but i just chalk it up to they're just jealous that they can't walk there dogs with a pinke finger. I do get quite a few honks and waves, Obviously Hunters, b/c most of them are in big trucks...
Attachments
Summer fun with the dogs.jpg
Summer fun with the dogs.jpg (139.94 KiB) Viewed 4687 times

User avatar
Stiff Arm
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Fridley, MN

Re: In the public eye

Post by Stiff Arm » Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 am

gittrdonebritts wrote: We as hunters and bird dog owners will never be able to please everyone or even let them hear our side of the story the best thing to do is be polite and not give ourselves an even worse image.
+1 You can't fix people like the pug lady, ya just gotta feel sorry for 'em. Just think how difficult and frustrating life must be when you're that ignorant. No point sinking to their level and giving them ammo to use against true ethical sportsmen.

User avatar
ben33127
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: Birmngham, AL

Re: In the public eye

Post by ben33127 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Lowery I am with you, I don not feel like I am sinking down just standing my ground. When I first graduated college I lived in an apartment "complex". This was the beginning of my pointer obsession so I at this point I had about a 1/8 trained pointer. Still everyone would ask me how did you train your dog so well. Well let me explain what "Trained" consisted of, Patton would come to me when I called him and would heel and it absolutly blew these people's mind. At that moment I thought how bad would it be to have a dog that will not come when called!

User avatar
ultracarry
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Yucaipa, ca

Re: In the public eye

Post by ultracarry » Wed May 18, 2011 1:56 pm

When I was buying houses for an investor I would be in front of the court all day waiting for a call on if he wanted to buy a house... court had a huge grass area in the front so I would work my dog on the court lawn... no signs and a nice area. I got some looks from people every day but my dog got to work with me and I used some free time training. Then on the way home I would bet some bird work in. Dam that was a sweet job.

User avatar
jlowery
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: In the public eye

Post by jlowery » Wed May 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Well those pups in my picture sure look miserable don't they, Wish those people could see how they act when i pull the Ecollars out. They act like a buncha kids fixin to get Ice Cream or something... They know when i get those things out, we bought to have some fun...

User avatar
BillGraves
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: York, PA

Re: In the public eye

Post by BillGraves » Wed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm

I also take my dog for walks with the e-collar on. I have never gotten real funny looks, or angry looks, just curiosity. Most of the time, I don't even turn it on, it's just there.

Bill

User avatar
collinedward
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Gulfport Mississippi

Re: In the public eye

Post by collinedward » Wed May 18, 2011 5:42 pm

My friends lab jumps all over you and barks crazily when you enter his home. His wife ask how and why my dogs are so well behaved.. My response" Attention, exercise and a foot in the "bleep" from time to time".. Her response while the dog was barking still " We could never do that to our dog, that's abuse".. Then I had to explain the difference of abuse and discipline. Abuse is when you beat/punish him obsessively for nothing or several hours later when the dog has no clue what he did.

User avatar
SHORTFAT
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: northwest Pa.

Re: In the public eye

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed May 18, 2011 5:57 pm

I thank God that I live in a small town and a rural community where people will nod approval at the proper correction of a child AND a dog... and where I can't go to the store or post office, or for a walk without 3 people asking "when we goin' huntin again with that dog?'.. and mean it... :D
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
birddogger
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: Bunker Hill, IL.

Re: In the public eye

Post by birddogger » Wed May 18, 2011 6:01 pm

collinedward wrote:My friends lab jumps all over you and barks crazily when you enter his home. His wife ask how and why my dogs are so well behaved.. My response" Attention, exercise and a foot in the "bleep" from time to time".. Her response while the dog was barking still " We could never do that to our dog, that's abuse".. Then I had to explain the difference of abuse and discipline. Abuse is when you beat/punish him obsessively for nothing or several hours later when the dog has no clue what he did.
Her response and way of thinking is exactly why the kids are out of control.....I see it everyday.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

User avatar
BillGraves
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: York, PA

Re: In the public eye

Post by BillGraves » Wed May 18, 2011 6:25 pm

birddogger wrote:
collinedward wrote:My friends lab jumps all over you and barks crazily when you enter his home. His wife ask how and why my dogs are so well behaved.. My response" Attention, exercise and a foot in the "bleep" from time to time".. Her response while the dog was barking still " We could never do that to our dog, that's abuse".. Then I had to explain the difference of abuse and discipline. Abuse is when you beat/punish him obsessively for nothing or several hours later when the dog has no clue what he did.
Her response and way of thinking is exactly why the kids are out of control.....I see it everyday.
I am a teacher and I see it everyday too...if only I could have taught about 30 years ago!

Bill

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8237
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: In the public eye

Post by Sharon » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Being a teacher for 45 years , I have to say: There is a big difference between discipline and spankings. When you hit a child you teach him /her that hitting solves problems. If you do that , never give your kid a hard time if he hits a child at school or an adult in the bar. Yes, I was spanked - born in 1946 - but that doesn't change the facts.

Consequences appropriate for the age are what works well and translate into life at all ages. I have foster kids. Through no fault of their own , they are out of control when they arrive. Taking away privileges gets them co operating fast.Translates well to adult life. You don't pay your bills.......................
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

User avatar
SHORTFAT
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: northwest Pa.

Re: In the public eye

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Sharon... I have a great deal of respect for you, and everything you post... about dogs... but I have to disagree completely on this!!! that is nothing but the modern way of conditioning tolerance for bad behavior. I spanked both of my children and I wouldn't change who they are one bit! they are both respectful and polite and very even tempered. (and grown) I also always made sure they knew what they were getting spanked for and that they knew I loved them... I completely disagree with the whole crock of "redirect them". I believe in the "Consequences appropriate for the age" being a spanking when it calls for it... and by a very early age, they just have to know that youre willing to spank them and it can be enough... It always makes me shake my head to hear someone say stuff like that. I remember when I was very young my father had a conversation with a "modern woman" about spanking her kids... he just gave up finally and said "i'll tell ya what... see me in 25 years and we'll see whos method works best"... well her son turned out to be a burglar / drug dealer, who overdosed shortly after getting out of jail for the umpteenth time and is no longer with us... I work in Law enforcement. (and I don't arrest parents for spanking)... sorry for the long post, but you really struck a nerve... :x I look forward to more posts about dogs... :roll:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
birddogger
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: Bunker Hill, IL.

Re: In the public eye

Post by birddogger » Wed May 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Sharon, as you already know, I also have a lot of respect for you and always enjoy your posts. But I didn't see anybody mentioning spanking, although I am a proponent of it when needed. There is a big difference between spanking and abuse, but my point is that there has to be discipline and what type of discipline depends on what works for the child or dog. I have just watched things get totally out of control since teachers can't and parents won't use proper discipline on their kids. I also encounter people who have dogs that have been taught no manners or any kind of obedience and the owners are laughing and bragging about how spoiled they are, when in fact they are a nuisance and nobody wants them around. Just my observations. :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

User avatar
BillGraves
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: York, PA

Re: In the public eye

Post by BillGraves » Wed May 18, 2011 8:19 pm

birddogger wrote: since teachers can't and parents won't
Charlie
Charlie,

I like this part. I wish I could do more as a teacher to discipline a kid because the consequences they get (i.e. detention, suspension) don't matter to them at all. Failing grades don't bother them either! I can't do anything or I'll lose my job.

Bill

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8237
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: In the public eye

Post by Sharon » Wed May 18, 2011 8:22 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Sharon... I have a great deal of respect for you, and everything you post... about dogs... but I have to disagree completely on this!!! that is nothing but the modern way of conditioning tolerance for bad behavior. I spanked both of my children and I wouldn't change who they are one bit! they are both respectful and polite and very even tempered. (and grown) I also always made sure they knew what they were getting spanked for and that they knew I loved them... I completely disagree with the whole crock of "redirect them". I believe in the "Consequences appropriate for the age" being a spanking when it calls for it... and by a very early age, they just have to know that youre willing to spank them and it can be enough... It always makes me shake my head to hear someone say stuff like that. I remember when I was very young my father had a conversation with a "modern woman" about spanking her kids... he just gave up finally and said "i'll tell ya what... see me in 25 years and we'll see whos method works best"... well her son turned out to be a burglar / drug dealer, who overdosed shortly after getting out of jail for the umpteenth time and is no longer with us... I work in Law enforcement. (and I don't arrest parents for spanking)... sorry for the long post, but you really struck a nerve... :x I look forward to more posts about dogs... :roll:

LOL I enjoyed that read. I work at the jail (450 inmates). To each their own. I enjoy reading other opinions but my opinion is what it is.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: In the public eye

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Sharon wrote:
SHORTFAT wrote:Sharon... I have a great deal of respect for you, and everything you post... about dogs... but I have to disagree completely on this!!! that is nothing but the modern way of conditioning tolerance for bad behavior. I spanked both of my children and I wouldn't change who they are one bit! they are both respectful and polite and very even tempered. (and grown) I also always made sure they knew what they were getting spanked for and that they knew I loved them... I completely disagree with the whole crock of "redirect them". I believe in the "Consequences appropriate for the age" being a spanking when it calls for it... and by a very early age, they just have to know that youre willing to spank them and it can be enough... It always makes me shake my head to hear someone say stuff like that. I remember when I was very young my father had a conversation with a "modern woman" about spanking her kids... he just gave up finally and said "i'll tell ya what... see me in 25 years and we'll see whos method works best"... well her son turned out to be a burglar / drug dealer, who overdosed shortly after getting out of jail for the umpteenth time and is no longer with us... I work in Law enforcement. (and I don't arrest parents for spanking)... sorry for the long post, but you really struck a nerve... :x I look forward to more posts about dogs... :roll:

LOL I enjoyed that read. I work at the jail (450 inmates). To each their own. I enjoy reading other opinions but my opinion is what it is.
I think everyone has a right to there opinion but results really do tell the story. As we have taken disapline out of the system the results have gotten worse. Much of it due to the good D. Spock. And look how his kid turned out. It has been pronounced for years that a ratio of somewhere near 70/30 percent positive to negative training has produced the best as well as the quickest results. And it is all due to learning.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
wills1235
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 am
Location: Dayton, WA

Re: In the public eye

Post by wills1235 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:04 am

World would be a better place if more kids and less dogs were trained with e-collars and an occasional boot in the butt.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

User avatar
gittrdonebritts
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: Malta,IL

Re: In the public eye

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu May 19, 2011 1:10 am

BillGraves wrote:
birddogger wrote: since teachers can't and parents won't
Charlie
Charlie,

I like this part. I wish I could do more as a teacher to discipline a kid because the consequences they get (i.e. detention, suspension) don't matter to them at all. Failing grades don't bother them either! I can't do anything or I'll lose my job.

Bill
I wasn't exactly a model student in reality I was a bit of a class clown but I knew were to draw the line for my self and avoid any real trouble because I knew if I were to get in trouble at school (even though I was all state Tackle and 4 yr varsity wrestler) That dad could and still would kick my "bleep" for stepping out of line, I think a lot of it has to do with no pride in the community's mom and dad wanted us to be polite and we rounded and also not embarrass them because it was a small town everyone knew each other and all the family's in our community had pride in themselves and our town, don't see that much anymore IMO

User avatar
Stiff Arm
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Fridley, MN

Re: In the public eye

Post by Stiff Arm » Thu May 19, 2011 6:37 am

BillGraves wrote:
birddogger wrote:
collinedward wrote:Her response and way of thinking is exactly why the kids are out of control.....I see it everyday.
I am a teacher and I see it everyday too...if only I could have taught about 30 years ago!

Bill
Now maybe if we could just put e-collars on some of the kids in class and on the neighborhood streets people would start to understand the value of discipline on a dog or a child. When I was in school teachers weren't afraid to grab you buy the ear and march you to the principle (or so I heard :wink: ) and the whole class benefitted from some order and respect.

User avatar
markj
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 pm
Location: Crescent Iowa

Re: In the public eye

Post by markj » Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 am

When you hit a child you teach him /her that hitting solves problems.
BS, taught me to never get caught :) cause if I did it again and got caught I would expect a spanking. so it worked on me and my brothers and sisters.

Only spanked my boy once, he was 3, one whap on his rear. He remembers that, didnt hurt him as much as scared him. Now I ask, want a whuppin? He says no and gets it done.

Timeouts are worthless, grounding only punishes me. Got a 22 year old and a 9 year old.

Some tried the e collar, I belive they are still in jail :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Post Reply